• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

2 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Hmmm, maybe make some rosemary sugar like you would with  excess vanilla?  Or a flavored salt?

I second the rosemary sugar recommendation.  In her book, Sips & Apps, Kathy Casey uses a rosemary sugar to rim glasses for a cocktail.  I love to use it in baking.  Her method is to mix 2T chopped fresh rosemary leaves (I tend to use more) with 1 cup sugar, spread on a baking sheet and set in a warm, dry place for ~ 4 days then process in a food processor, spice grinder or blender until finely ground. She says it keeps for a month, I've found it to last longer than that.

In Drinking French, David Lebovitz uses a rosemary simple syrup to make a nice rosemary gimlet. Heat a half cup each sugar & water with 2T chopped fresh rosemary leaves until the sugar is dissolved, cool, strain and store in the fridge.  

You can also infuse the rosemary into spirits for cocktails. In Batch Cocktails, the recipe for one of my favorites, Bound by Venus, involves infusing four 4-inch sprigs of rosemary in 2 cups of gin for a 2-3 hours before straining and mixing with fino sherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I've used vodka in this recipe to appease gin haters and it worked fine. 

I've made this Grapefruit & Rosemary Cello and it's quite nice, though I recommend infusing the citrus zest first, then infusing the rosemary for a shorter length of time. 

Edited to add that I have rosemary growing along one side of my driveway.  Maybe 60 feet or so.  Always plenty on hand!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

Hmmm, maybe make some rosemary sugar like you would with  excess vanilla?  Or a flavored salt?

I second the rosemary sugar recommendation.  In her book, Sips & Apps, Kathy Casey uses a rosemary sugar to rim glasses for a cocktail.  I love to use it in baking.  Her method is to mix 2T chopped fresh rosemary leaves (I tend to use more) with 1 cup sugar, spread on a baking sheet and set in a warm, dry place for ~ 4 days then process in a food processor, spice grinder or blender until finely ground. She says it keeps for a month, I've found it to last longer than that.

In Drinking French, David Lebovitz uses a rosemary simple syrup to make a nice rosemary gimlet. Heat a half cup each sugar & water with 2T chopped fresh rosemary leaves until the sugar is dissolved, cool, strain and store in the fridge.  

You can also infuse the rosemary into spirits for cocktails. In Batch Cocktails, the recipe one of my favorites, Bound by Venus, involves infusing four 4-inch sprigs of rosemary in 2 cups of gin for a 2-3 hours before straining and mixing with fino cherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I've used vodka in this recipe to appease gin haters and it worked fine. 

I've made this Grapefruit & Rosemary Cello and it's quite nice, though I recommend infusing the citrus zest first, then infusing the rosemary for a shorter length of time. 

Edited to add that I have rosemary growing along one side of my driveway.  Maybe 60 feet or so.  Always plenty on hand!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

You can also infuse the rosemary into spirits for cocktails. In Batch Cocktails, the recipe one of my favorites, Bound by Venus, involves infusing four 4-inch sprigs of rosemary in 2 cups of gin for a 2-3 hours before straining and mixing with fino cherry and yellow Chartreuse.  I've used vodka in this recipe to appease gin haters and it worked fine.