• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP member suzilightning

Smithy

I started clicking "like" on so many of your posts, but it got to be every single one.  My Jewish friends say, "My her memory be a blessing".  This expresses so much of what I feel about Suzi.  At eG, she wasn't one to stand on the sidelines and watch - she wasn't a lurker.  She jumped in and helped where help was needed, offered advice, etc.  I'm confident that she was like that in real life, too.  I regret that we weren't friends on FB.  I tend to hang back and wait for others to make the offer there (childhood fear of "putting myself forward").  So, I'm on FB.  I would welcome anyone from eG as a friend (I'm Kim Younger Shook).  I've had the best luck making friends with eG folks outside in the "real world".  Hugs to everyone.  May we all be blessed with our memories of Susan.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'll echo @Kim Shook's sentiment. I'd be delighted to be FB friends with any and all of you. I'll warn you, though, the liberal diatribes can get fairly vicious (I have a number of friends who are just as conservative as I am liberal...)

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

19 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I started clicking "like" on so many of your posts, but it got to be every single one.  My Jewish friends say, "My her memory be a blessing".  This expresses so much of what I feel about Suzi.  At eG, she wasn't one to stand on the sidelines and watch - she wasn't a lurker.  She jumped in and helped where help was needed, offered advice, etc.  I'm confident that she was like that in real life, too.  I regret that we weren't friends on FB.  I tend to hang back and wait for others to make the offer there (childhood fear of "putting myself forward").  So, I'm on FB.  I would welcome anyone from eG as a friend.  I've had the best luck making friends with eG folks outside in the "real world".  Hugs to everyone.  May we all be blessed with our memories of Susan.  

Well said, Kim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very sad news!

She was very good to me.

She'll be sorely missed!

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Susan Katherine Simovich of 31 Croft Road, Lake Hopatcong passed away on 15 January 2021 at Saint Claire’s Hospital in Dover, NJ at the age of 66.  Born in the Village of Greenport NY, she grew up &spent her early years on Shelter Island.  Susan was the daughter of Esther Helen Wilcox Quadros& John Simovich.  She is survived by her husband John Reed of Lake Hopatcong, NJ, a sister Esther Anne Quadros of Shelter Island, NY& several distant cousins. Susan obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Theater from SUNY College in Fredonia, NY& a Masters Degree in Library Science from SUNY Albany.  She worked as a Reference Librarian& Audio-Visual Department Supervisor at Columbia-Greene Community College in Hudson, NY; the Public Library in Texarkana &several Libraries in New Jersey including Jefferson Township Public Library in Oak Ridge & Sparta Public Library in Sparta.  Susan enjoyed cooking, especially trying new recipes, Bird &Hawkwatching, road trips with her husband & time at her Condo in Wildwood Crest NJ.  She will be greatly missed by her husband, pampered cats, neighbors & her friends in upstate NY & on social media.  She will be remembered for her generosity of time & spirit & her wicked intellect & sense of humor.  Susan was a beautiful soul who was always helping anyone she encountered including friends, neighbors, her library patrons & even complete strangers.Susan did not want any formal services. She asked that a small group of family & friends scatter her ashes at an undisclosed area in the Hudson Valley of New York.  Donations in her name can be sent to SUNY College in Fredonia, The Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) or Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Kempton, Pennsylvania.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Susan Katherine Simovich of 31 Croft Road, Lake Hopatcong passed away on 15 January 2021 at Saint Claire’s Hospital in Dover, NJ at the age of 66.  Born in the Village of Greenport NY, she grew up &spent her early years on Shelter Island.  Susan was the daughter of Esther Helen Wilcox Quadros& John Simovich.  She is survived by her husband John Reed of Lake Hopatcong, NJ, a sister Esther Anne Quadros of Shelter Island, NY& several distant cousins. Susan obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Theater from SUNY College in Fredonia, NY& a Masters Degree in Library Science from SUNY Albany.  She worked as a Reference Librarian& Audio-Visual Department Supervisor at Columbia-Greene Community College in Hudson, NY; the Public Library in Texarkana &several Libraries in New Jersey including Jefferson Township Public Library in Oak Ridge & Sparta Public Library in Sparta.  Susan enjoyed cooking, especially trying new recipes, Bird &Hawkwatching, road trips with her husband & time at her Condo in Wildwood Crest NJ.  She will be greatly missed by her husband, pampered cats, neighbors & her friends in upstate NY & on social media.  She will be remembered for her generosity of time & spirit & her wicked intellect & sense of humor.  Susan was a beautiful soul who was always helping anyone she encountered including friends, neighbors, her library patrons & even complete strangers.Susan did not want any formal services. She asked that a small group of family & friends scatter her ashes at an undisclosed area in the Hudson Valley of New York.  Donations in her name can be sent to SUNY College in Fredonia, The Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) or Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Kempton, Pennsylvania.

Thank you so much for posting this, Kerry!  What a wonderful memorial for Suzy.  Whoever wrote that obviously knew and loved her well.  

• Like 5

@Kerry Beal Thank you for posting this.  While I didn't know her well, what I did know of her i liked very much.  I tried finding her obituary when we first heard that she had passed away but I couldn't find one.  I did have her name and address but that didn't help in my search for it.  Rest in peace, Suzi.  We miss you.

• Like 5