• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

When I left off with the pappardelle with rabbit ragù and peaches in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta (Recipe available online in this excerpt), I had braised the meat and pulled it from the bones. The meat was moist and tasty enough but it was quite light, lacked umami and acid and didn't really hang together as a sauce.

IMG_3557.thumb.jpeg.8d72e780c38c47bed827117d7baba381.jpeg

I packed it up in the fridge and thought about ways to fix it...mushrooms? a bit of country ham?  

Yesterday, I decided to go ahead with one serving as written before I made changes aside from taking @heidih's suggestion to use mango instead. 

I used the egg pasta dough from Vetri's book to make the pappardelle.  As soon as the pasta is cooked, it gets transferred to the warm ragu, butter, olive oil and a bit of pasta cooking water get added and tossed over low heat to form a sauce.  Parm goes in off the heat and finally the sliced peaches (mango).  Darn if it wasn't just a peach 🙃

IMG_3572.thumb.jpeg.cc044544aa9335d2291cd4002c6bdccb.jpeg

I thought it might taste strange but I loved the contrast of the sweet/tart fruit. A little bit of diced country ham added in the beginning would not be a bad thing but it's pretty darn good as is.  Looking forward to trying it during peach season!  

Edited to add that I'm going to freeze the meat in single-serving packets.  It will be nice to pull one out to thaw while I make some pasta and toss it together for a quick meal.  I wouldn't rule out a rabbit ragu pizza either!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

When I left off with the pappardelle with rabbit ragù and peaches in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta (Recipe available online in this excerpt), I had braised the meat and pulled it from the bones. The meat was moist and tasty enough but it was quite light, lacked umami and acid and didn't really hang together as a sauce.

I packed it up in the fridge and thought about ways to fix it...mushrooms? a bit of country ham?  

Yesterday, I decided to go ahead with one serving as written before I made changes aside from taking @heidih's suggestion to use mango instead. 

I used the egg pasta dough from Vetri's book to make the pappardelle.  As soon as the pasta is cooked, it gets transferred to the warm ragu, butter, olive oil and a bit of pasta cooking water get added and tossed over low heat to form a sauce.  Parm goes in off the heat and finally the sliced peaches (mango).  Darn if it wasn't just a peach 🙃

I thought it might taste strange but I loved the contrast of the sweet/tart fruit. A little bit of diced country ham added in the beginning would not be a bad thing but it's pretty darn good as is.  Looking forward to trying it during peach season!  

Edited to add that I'm going to freeze the meat in single-serving packets.  It will be nice to pull one out to thaw while I make some pasta and toss it together for a quick meal.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin