• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

I look forward to this as I have not cooked rabbit since the early 80s when it was in every market. I think it was a time when taking French cooking lessons was a thing and fine dining classic French restaurants held sway in Los Angeles. As I recall my first dish was at Valentino (Santa Monica, CA) so Italian but not a hunter's style. A red wine sauce was involved. My first attempt must have been from Volume 1 or 2 of Julia's Mastering the Art of French cooking. I have notes somewhere - a cold dreary day here so hunting is on (for recipes). We never ate rabbit when I was a kid but that was probably for availability related reasons and the fact that dad brought home mostly beef from the plant.

heidih

heidih

I look forward to this as I have not cooked rabbit since the early 80s when it was in every market. I think it was a time when taking French cooking lessons was a thing and fine dining classic French restaurants held sway in Los Angeles. As I recall my first dish was at Valentino (Santa Monica, CA) so Italian but not a hunter's style. A red wine sauce was involved. My first attempt must have been from Volume 1 or 2 of Julia's Mastering the Art of French cooking. I have notes somewhere - a cold dreary day here so hunting is on (for recipes). We never ate rabbit when I was a kid but that was probably for availability related reasons and the fact that dafa brought home mostly beef from the plant.