• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Tips for Induction Cooktop Usage and Care

Janet Taylor

Hi everyone!

One of the appliances in our remodeled kitchen is an induction cooktop. I'd like to hear some tips on usage and care. We live in an area where it's electricity only, unless you get a tank put in (rather costly). It's mighty hard soil, more like rock, in the Austin/Lakeway area. We've had electric ceramic/glass cooktop and gas before. I was told induction is as close to gas as you can get.

1) What cleaning products do you recommend? Do you use anything differently for light or heavy cleaning?

I purchased Weiman's cooktop cloth cleaners. They worked just fine but they are just very wet and I have to use a microfiber cloth to wipe off excess. I LOVE Weiman's stainless steel cleaner wipes and I don't seem to have to wipe off the excess.

2) Any razor blade type scrapper in particular that you use?

3) Are there products that you've purchased or use to put under your pots/pans when cooking?

I have tried newspaper and it seems to work just fine. It's easy to clean up after cooking. Just looks a little goofy when your cooking. I tried parchment paper once and that seemed to scorch a bit, so that's a no go.

4) I read that milk and some other foods need to be cleaned up immediately. But, not while the element is hot. What do you do in that case?

ANY tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Any product you've ever used previously to maintain a ceramic range can be used on the new one. The actual surface is the same, it's the underlying mechanism that's different.

I occasionally put parchment or paper towel under my pot if I'm cooking something splashy/messy, but not often. I usually just clean up fairly quickly after I'm gone, and on the infrequent occasion something sticks on/cooks on, I just leave my cloth full of hot, soapy dishwater to sit on the offending spot for a while as I attend to putting other stuff away.

I have just a small, low-power portable hob in my kitchen: it was intended to be a supplemental "large burner" for my small ring-type apartment range, but in practice it's the induction hob where 90+ percent of my cooking takes place.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 5 months later...

Late to the party. I know, but...

We always use thin, high temperature rated silicone under our pans when using the induction cooktop. They make cleanup easier and prevent scratches from our inherited cast iron cookware. After three plus years of use, our cooktop is scratch free.

I love that I can clean up spills and overflows while I'm cooking. It's almost impossible to cook something on to the cooktop.

We find that our induction cooktop reacts faster than gas to settings changes.

Edited by Wait. Wot
Two tos are too many. Grammar (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wait. Wot said:

Late to the party. I know, but...

We always use thin, high temperature rated silicone under our pans when using the induction cooktop. They make cleanup easier and prevent scratches from our inherited cast iron cookware. After three plus years of use, our cooktop is scratch free.

I love that I can clean up spills and overflows while I'm cooking. It's almost impossible to cook something on to the to cooktop.

We find that our induction cooktop reacts faster than gas to settings changes.

I use a Silpat on my Paragon when I'm not using the Paragon temperature controlled mat.  I love induction.  I love that I can trust it to do its thing when I'm in the next room paying attention to eGullet and my mai tai.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou