• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

whoops, quote is not edit.

regardless on allulose: i still totally recommend others try it who are looking for a sugar alternative, because it works so well.

jimb0

jimb0

2 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

yeah. and we're talking quantities of like, a bowl of ice cream in which it's the only sweetener (about half a cup of allulose in a bit more than a litre of ice cream, so it wasn't exactly a huge amount). definitely turned me off of the stuff. which, again. frustrating. (edit: i still totally recommend it for others, though)

it does interfere with carb absorption in the gi tract, so i suppose it's possible that it's related to that. i obviously wouldn't have been eating it with high sugar or starch, say, but there may have been something else.

most of the time i stick to erythritol and sucralose, which i tolerate well and don't mind the flavours of. xylitol for gum and occasionally food. sometimes monkfruit. polyD when i really need the bulk and/or hygroscopicity of a sugar-like. inulin affects me more than polyD, interestingly, so i avoid it when possible. isomalt is okay in sparing amounts.

to bring it back on topic, i posted a cake i made for the SO the other day that used polyD, erythritol, and sucralose, with reduced pear purée instead of butter or oil. i am honestly astonished at how moist it was / stayed. polyD is kind of incredible in that regard, i think.

i did the cream cheese whip i was talking about to serve alongside, and with a little vanilla, that stuff is really easy to just eat on a spoon (or finger) straight out of the fridge....