• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

In my experience it’s very difficult to get something like a cheesecake to be both low in calories and low in sugar and still taste good, at least currently. It’s generally an either/or situation. 

With that said if you’re mostly after that tangy cream cheese flavour you could beat together some cream cheese with sweetener. I recommend a blend of polydextrose and erythritol for bulk, then sweeten to taste with sucralose drops. The polydextrose replaces something like powdered sugar, though you don’t need to add as much as if you were making frosting. Say a half cup of each for one block of cream cheese.  You can add more polydextrose if you want to whip it airier (polydextrose itself isn’t sweet; it’s a low calorie fibre that acts like sugar does in other respects). Add a spoon of vanilla, and a pinch of salt to taste. It’ll be a little soft but firm up nicely in the fridge. 

You can eat it with a spoon or dip things into it, or make little quenelles to top other stuff. 

jimb0

jimb0

In my experience it’s very difficult to get something like a cheesecake to be both low in calories and low in sugar and still taste good, at least currently. It’s generally an either/or situation. 

With that said if you’re mostly after that tangy cream cheese flavour you could beat together some cream cheese with sweetener. I recommend a blend of polydextrose and erythritol for bulk, then sweeten to taste with sucralose drops. The polydextrose replaces something like powdered sugar, though you don’t need to add as much as if you were making frosting. Say a half cup of each. You can add more polydextrose if you want to whip it airier (polydextrose itself isn’t sweet; it’s a low calorie fibre that acts like sugar does in other respects). Add a spoon of vanilla, and a pinch of salt to taste. It’ll be a little soft but firm up nicely in the fridge. 

You can eat it with a spoon or dip things into it, or make little quenelles to top other stuff.