• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-filling a bottle of Poire William Eau-de-vie

dandandan74

I bought a bottle of Poire William Eau-de-vie a while ago, with a transparent spirit and a pear inside. I have almost finished drinking it.

When I bought it, the gentleman at the shop kindly told me that when I finish drinking, I can fill it up again and enjoy drinking it again. However, I have forgotten what he told me to fill up the bottle with.

Could someone please offer some advice?

IMG_3605のコピー.jpg

My guess is to fill it up with Poire William, if you want to be drinking Poire William.

The gentleman in the shop was probably referring to the fact that it's nice bottle and can continue to be used, even once you've finished drinking its original contents.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You could try the Hans Alpenz import product from the Alto Adige...https://alpenz.com/product-pear_williams.html

Or the Clear Creek from Oregon...http://www.clearcreekdistillery.com/products/clear-brandies/

Or St. George...http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/st-george-fruit-brandies/

et al.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@dandandan74 

fill it up w whatever you like drinking.

as @weinoo mentioned :

if you like pear flavor of Eau-de-vie 

then Poire William is the way to go.

don't get one w a pear in it , as that starts the

Tasty Cycle Again

please be aware , in current times

many of the smaller older Booze-arias in France, Spain Scotland etc

have been purchased by Massive Congomerates  ( MC's , not The cat )

where profit is the only motive .

not excellence on your tongue.

Scotch made in Tequila barrels ?   why not 1

its unlikely that the pear in that bottle has much pear taste left.

but maybe :    jab around in there and bring out a bit and taste it.

you are not going to get a whole pear in that bottle

and I can't say if ripe pear slices would do so well

but might is the Fire Water is of sufficient proof.

again , add what you might enjoy drinking.

and no , it won't be much like what you started out with.

My first thought was as @rotuts notes - the pear has probably given its all. Nice bottle though. I'd be more inclined to extract it in some creative way and use the bottle as desired. Although when we went cherry picking (of course in Cherry Valley) mom did their recipe which was just vodka. One of those puppies could send you reeling after a good soak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Thanks. Yeah in the distant past I knew that! Maybe I've reached that tipping point where I relearn something new every day. Now there's a comforting thought.

OK, how do they get the ship into the bottle?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 10:57 AM, rotuts said:

don't get one w a pear in it , as that starts the

Tasty Cycle Again

That would be a conundrum.

There's a scene in the novel Corelli's mandolin where someone's hiding from the authorities in church balcony where a case of wine is being stored. He desperately needs to pee, and can't think of anyplace to go but one of the wine bottles. But they're all new bottles. So he uncorks one and—since he can't bear the thought of wasting the wine—drinks it before relieving himself in it. You can imagine how this ends, or doesn't.

• Haha 3

Notes from the underbelly

I spent a few years in Suisse and saw the bottles affixed to pear branches in Spring. I asked about them and everyone said it was a gimmick for tourists, and that the good stuff never has a pear in the bottle.  So there's that, but if it tastes good, who am I to say.

• Like 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com