• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Descoware, Enameled Cast Iron in General, and Crazing in Particular

weinoo

A friend recently (okay, yesterday) gifted me (okay, she asked if i wanted them and I said yes) two of her mother's (okay, deceased (RIP) mother's) Descoware pans.

Here are pictures of bottoms and insides...

1568576914_IMG_33862.thumb.jpeg.48c7c466f05a7ad40123d12c899d133c.jpeg

514190553_IMG_33852.thumb.jpeg.43bba75d96ce65f72f0d85ee2a2bf44e.jpeg

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.a40250099e040e9fef8e623eef905657.jpeg

IMG_3384.thumb.jpeg.2295d1fe043b6d2a866965ad2359bc27.jpeg

2009848172_IMG_33872.thumb.jpeg.e6b8b13af2754862d426f1840c8e84e0.jpeg

A couple of thoughts/questions. I'm wondering if these were made specifically for the American market, as they show measurements in inches.

They are both pretty beat up; the larger one more so than the smaller one. The large one is crazy with crazing.

Are they safe to use, or should they be repurposed? I read somewhere that crazing can cause chips to fall off into food.

Maybe @andiesenji has a few ideas?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

do you need to use them ?

I mean, do any of us need all the shit we have.

Some of us possibly have more than one CSO even.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, CentralMA said:

He's in NYC. Walls are no more than 5' high. 

Being John Malkovich?

Actually, and I hope you're all sitting, the ceilings are normal height for many apartments in the city. It's the floors that are too high.

I'm still hoping to hear from @andiesenji - to see if these were perhaps a cheaper version of the good stuff, meant for the US market. The only way they're getting repurposed is if someone else buys them after I donate them to Housing Works or somewhere similar.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Wikipedia suggests that all descoware was made explicitly for the US market.  The US rights to the bruxelles ware process were purchased, the pans cast in Japan and porcelainized in in Belgium, then sold in the US under a new name. Was this an inferior process to the pans made in france? Perhaps but also probably not really. They’ve probably had a hard, useful life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

They’ve probably had a hard, useful life. 

No doubt, and if my friend's mom was anything like my mom, she may have let them boil dry a few times!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

The only way they're getting repurposed is if someone else buys them after I donate them to Housing Works or somewhere similar.

Or you could plant some Thai basil in them. That would make @KennethThappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Or you could plant some Thai basil in them. That would make @KennethThappy.

Believe me, I was thinking of that...

32 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

fancy planters was my first thought too, though with no drainage holes you’d need to be careful. 

But they're quite shallow.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

18 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

yeah in that case your roots would be wet pretty much constantly.

but they might be nice for plants that grow in such boggy climes?

That's true. @weinoo that might be really good for planting some morning glory (aka kang kung, aka ong choy, aka pak boong)

Edited by KennethT (log)

Ideas for a crazed old ugly enamel coated cast iron frying pan:

Buy a baby turtle at the circus and make a cute pond environment for it. Just don't keep it on the stove.

Make a mini rice paddy and grow rice for home consumption or artisanal gifts.

Make some crazed marbles in it and then arrange them inside it for an art project.

Hang it on the inside of the front door in case of intruders if you don't have a baseball bat. Although statistics say that heavy frying pans are most often used by the intruders against you.

Put the pans  out on the street in a box that says FREE.

Learn to say no, so you can use that empty wall space (which we all agree doesn't exist in @weinoo's kitchen) to hang the turnips you got in your latest box because there's no way they will fit in the fridge.

OMG I just saw the @jimb0post! How could two people come up with such an inane idea at the same time?

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

OMG I just saw the @jimb0post! How could two people come up with such an inane idea at the same time?

Clearly it's in the zeitgeist... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning