• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some will know I recently moved to a new apartment. It involved the usual stress and trauma. But it threw up some culinary curiosities. I'll mention a few over the next few days.

I had hired someone to help me pack 25 years of essential detritus from a dissolute life prior to the move, but my dear friend J also turned up to help.

While she was packing some kitchen stuff (80% of stuff to be moved was food or food-related), she found this.

20210125_153404.thumb.jpg.76b3e0aaa42da8936c9fa19dc91ad1c0.jpg

For years, I've been using this double lidded ceramic pot to store my precious supplies of Maldon salt. She was horrified.

I knew it had some ancient Chinese script on the outer lid, but never investigated  I can read modern Chinese, but this is like 6000 years old. J, being a genius can read it!

Turns out the pot is a funerary urn designed to hold the ashes of my ancestors. 

I told her that a) my ancestors can't read ancient Chinese either and b) Maldon salt is derived from the Dead Sea.

Of course, she didn't believe that. Like I said, she ain't stupid!

Anyway, I have no plan to change my storage method.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some will know I recently moved to a new apartment. It involved the usual stress and trauma. But it threw up some culinary curiosities. I'll mention a few over the next few days.

I had hired someone to help me pack 25 years of essential detritus from a dissolute life prior to the move, but my dear friend J also turned up to help.

While.she was packing some kitchen stuff (80% of stuff to be moved was food or food-related), she found this.

20210125_153404.thumb.jpg.76b3e0aaa42da8936c9fa19dc91ad1c0.jpg

For years, I've been using this double lidded ceramic pot to.store.my precious supplies of Maldon salt. She was horrified.

I knew it had some ancient Chinese script on the outer lot, but never investigated  I can read modern Chinese, but this is like 6000 years old. J, being a genius can read it!

Turns out the pot is a funerary urn designed to hold the ashes of my ancestors. 

I told her that a) my ancestors can't read ancient Chinese either and b) Maldon salt is derived from the Dead Sea.

Of course, she didn't believe that. Like I said, she ain't stupid!

Anyway, I have no plan to change my storage method.