• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agitu Gudeta

JoNorvelleWalker

As much as I like the New York Times, my favorite newspaper is The Economist.  Each issue they publish an obituary on the final page.  Often as not it is of a well beloved, or otherwise, world leader.  Sometimes it is of an African cab driver.  This week it is of Agitu Gudeta, an Ethiopian alpine goatherd and cheese maker.  She was a refugee who fled Ethiopia for the Tyrol because she championed herders rights.

Agitu was murdered less than a month ago.  She loved her flock.  After her death "...the good neighbors of Frassilongo trudged through the snow to feed them."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

She was a refugee who fled Ethiopia for the Tyrol because she championed herders rights.

This stopped me in my tracks. Bravery on behalf of workers is the highest calling, second only to teachers. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SusieQ said:

This stopped me in my tracks. Bravery on behalf of workers is the highest calling, second only to teachers. 

As has been so rightly said:  "Blessed are the cheesemakers."

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou