• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ina! C'mon - I expected more from you!

Kim Shook

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

There is apparently a recipe for something called "Smashed Eggs" in her cookbook Modern Comfort Food.  Once you cut through all of the blathering by the goober who wrote the article, you realize that it's a recipe for soft-boiled eggs on toast.  Really, Ina?  

It has mustard and dill!

OK, I can be a dumb ass, sometimes, but I don't think I would have done this:

1146348932_ScreenShot2021-01-24at2_06_23PM.png.bc112eb841b398cf452b255bd19ceb27.png

• Haha 3

There is apparently a recipe for something called "Smashed Eggs" in her cookbook Modern Comfort Food.  Once you cut through all of the blathering by the goober who wrote the article, you realize that it's a recipe for soft-boiled eggs on toast.  Really, Ina?  

As she indicates in the intro, many of the recipes in this book are revisited childhood comfort foods.  Tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna melts and the like so this seems to fit with that theme.  

I thought Ina's calling card was more about reliability than innovation anyway.  Or maybe I'm wrong about that.  I've only got a couple of her books.

• Like 1

I can’t believe I just read through this recipe! I have just finished the last of the wine in my glass and replaced it with Scotch. I shall drink enough to wipe out all memory of the last 15 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FWIW, we usually have one batch of soft boiled eggs in any week long stay in the country.   But I bounce between large, extra large and jumbo eggs, depending on the price/quality available when last shopping.    While I think that I use a timer and account for egg size, we more often than not have overcooked, i.e. not runny, eggs.    Husband suggested I try that "way you cook them unshelled in water"...okay, poached eggs!    Perfect, and when set on cubed buttered toast as we normally serve boiled eggs, an excellent solution to a nagging problem.   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

no fan of I.G. here

passed on reading the Rx.

I would like to point out , she is not a Felon.

as far as I can tell.

but she has an awful lot of " Very Dear Friends "

I , on the other hand , provide for a Cat.

he does sometimes bite.   

I always know where he stands .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

no fan of I.G. here

passed on reading the Rx.

I would like to point out , she is not a Felon.

as far as I can tell.

but she has an awful lot of " Very Dear Friends "

I , on the other hand , provide for a Cat.

he does sometimes bite.   

I always know where he stands .

You mean I'm not the only one here who doesn't own an Ina cookbook? 😆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

I am reading Jay Rayner’s My Last Supper and cannot resist quoting his take on smashed eggs being fed to him by his mother when he is a small, ill child:

“For now, though, I am under the blankets. I am slightly overheated and a little itchy, but it’s okay because I am being fed something from a cup that I very much like: still-warm crushed boiled eggs and torn pieces of thickly buttered toast, mashed together. Even now I can recall the light bounce of the egg white and the crumbliness of the yolk, softened to a paste by the generous amount of salty, melting butter, and then the two-sided crunch of the squares of toast buried within.”

One of my late husband’s favourite egg preparations although he preferred his toast separately. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Finally reading the Ina article, I would love to know the secret of the writer's perfect runny eggs.   Sorry she found them underdone.   They are exactly what we are looking for.   

dead simple.

keep the eggs in the same spot in the fridge all the time.

bring a pot of water to the boil.

poke a hole in the big end of the egg(s)

put them into the boiling water

set a timer.

for me, 4 minutes 45 seconds.

DW needs 5 minutes 30 seconds - she's not fond of gooey....

adjust boiling time to your personal preferences.

there is also the "steaming method"

double boiler

put eggs in the top basket

lid on

steam for x.y minutes

steaming is 'more gentle' than boiling - but it takes longer

...10-15 minutes, adjusted to preference.

go 'fer it - whatever works best for you is the absolute softboiled egg BOMB!

ignore the critics.  they don't live in your kitchen.....

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am reading Jay Rayner’s My Last Supper and cannot resist quoting his take on smashed eggs being fed to him by his mother when he is a small, ill child:

“For now, though, I am under the blankets. I am slightly overheated and a little itchy, but it’s okay because I am being fed something from a cup that I very much like: still-warm crushed boiled eggs and torn pieces of thickly buttered toast, mashed together. Even now I can recall the light bounce of the egg white and the crumbliness of the yolk, softened to a paste by the generous amount of salty, melting butter, and then the two-sided crunch of the squares of toast buried within.”

One of my late husband’s favourite egg preparations although he preferred his toast separately. 

I still make these regularly. Didn't know they had a name.

Also, prefer toast separately.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

This is also a childhood memory for me.  In my case, the warm eggs were mashed with butter so some melted into the jammy yolks but you'd still get tiny bits of salty butter here and there.  My mother was a fiend about warm, crisp toast so the slices were lightly buttered and quartered (triangles only) but never mashed in with the eggs. Haven't made it like that since my now wisely reconsidered, "butter is bad," phase but the memory alone makes me feel loved.  Not sure I could actually do it justice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

My eggs go nowhere near the fridge, thank you. Peculiar American habit.

Technically, a forced habit.

Most American supermarkets sell eggs that have been washed (thanks to anti-salmonella directives by the USDA) and so they have to be refrigerated having lost their natural protective coating in the process. 

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

40 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Technically, a forced habit.

Most American supermarkets sell eggs that have been washed (thanks to anti-salmonella directives by the USDA) and so they have to be refrigerated having lost their natural protective coating in the process. 

Yes, I know.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto