• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wear shoes while cooking!!!!

We always remove our shoes when we go to my mother-in-laws house (haven't been since July...ya know, Covid sigh).  She always says that we don't have to, but we do.

At my house, I would beg you to leave your shoes on so you don't dirty your socks with the dirt and hair laying around even though I probably just cleaned. 

• Haha 6

Speaking to the sockless peeps - my friend was shocked when she had new carpet installed and they told her NOT to go brfoot in the house. You can clean dirt on carpet, but oils from human skin - not so much.

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Never in my life been asked to remove my shoes in someone's home.  I'm kind of grossed out by the idea of people's bare feet and don't fancy the thought of wearing communal slippers.  I would appreciate a head's up from a host so that I could bring my own slippers.  

Like so?

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

And instead, telling people when they're invited to wear nice socks, as their shoes are coming off when they arrive.

I'd expect nothing less than your Manolo Blahnik's, @Kim Shook 😂 .

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm pretty sure most all my friends, if I still have them, don't wear shoes over bare feet. Everyone I know wears socks, so I don't feel bad asking them to take off their shoes. Wow, it's been a while. And people don't live in flip-flops like they do in really warm climates. Although now that I think about it, when and if we can ever have guests maybe I'll provide a basket of clean socks just in case.

After our dog died and our daughter left home we carpeted the entire upstairs with beautiful New Zealand wool. After that I became pretty serious about the indoor shoes only thing, or socks. I loved my dog, I love my daughter (moved to Atlanta and helped turn it blue!), and now I love my carpet and rugs.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

@JoNorvelleWalkersorry to hear about this and happy your almost healed.  Even sleeping musta been uncomfy.  I wonder did the spice in chilis make it worse?   

We typically remove shoes but it's not a hard rule and don't ask visitors to do so.  We don't have carpets (anywhere they w go).  We don't have that many visitors. We have dogs and don't ask them to remove there paws i.e. the floors have to get washed regularly anyway.  And after years of working on my feet it hurts to stand on hard surfaces so I can't ask others to.  I do get it's harder to maintain a clean floor in smaller spaces/apts.      

The toe was broken over twenty years ago.  I am afraid it is as healed as it will ever get.  Some party.  Drank a lot of wine that night.  Our hostess was a doctor.  Least she could have done was serve morphine.

However I believe @KennethT is the one with a taste for chilis.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The toe was broken over twenty years ago.  I am afraid it is as healed as it will ever get.  Some party.  Drank a lot of wine that night.  Our hostess was a doctor.  Least she could have done was serve morphine.

However I believe @KennethT i

Haha, how embarrassing!  That was for you @KennethT (I think the fuchsia square you both share in your signature threw me! Sorry about the toe though : )  

That wasn't chicken

5 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Haha, how embarrassing!  That was for you @KennethT (I think the fuchsia square you both share in your signature threw me! Sorry about the toe though : )  

Thanks, but I don't think the chillies made a bit of difference - it was the fact that it was thick and boiling!