• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wear shoes while cooking, and other sound kitchen advice

KennethT

5 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Was the ER busy? Hope you didn't have to wait long! 

Burns can be so painful, can you wear slippers? 

Aside from pain and loss of your lovely sauce, the clean-up sounds messy as well. 🙁

The ER was busy - it's NYC - it's always busy but they took me in right away, seen by a nurse almost immediately and saw the doctor maybe 40 minutes later. Unfortunately no slippers because the burn is on the top of the feet, just behind the toes - so nothing that would touch the top of my feet there - which is basically nothing other than the shoes I'm going to "modify"...   I am very lucky to have a wonderful wife who did all the cleanup when we got home from the ER.

• Like 5

Definitely a wonder wife!

I have seen and heard more hilarious things in ER waiting rooms - comedy routine worthy.  All social restraints lifted.  Poor injured person in the back waiting for care while friends and family provide soap opera worthy performances seeming not to realize it is an open space.

Oh as to your custom shoe efforts - good idea. When I'd lost use of my right hand for several months and sloshed boiling water all over my belly it required some re-crafting of clothes. I was a sight. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Ooooooof!!!   Sending all good thoughts and our thanks for taking one for the team.

I remember being in a fast food joint where the late teen-age fry-cook was the French fry oil in shorts and flip-flops.    Cringe-worthy.

It is remarkable how many shophouse/street food  cooks I've seen in Asia who do deep frying or jet burner wok cooking wearing shorts and flip flops. I'm surprised more of them aren't completely scarred from the waist down.

• Like 1

Ohhhh man.  I'm so sorry!  And, like you said, the sauce :( .  I hate wearing shoes.  HATE wearing shoes.  My UPS man commented the other day when it was freezing outside that I had no shoes on lol.....  Maybe I should rethink that choice when cooking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Ohhhh man.  I'm so sorry!  And, like you said, the sauce :( .  I hate wearing shoes.  HATE wearing shoes.  My UPS man commented the other day when it was freezing outside that I had no shoes on lol.....  Maybe I should rethink that choice when cooking.

I hate wearing shoes also, but they're going to on from now on for anything hot or knives.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For those playing the Idiot Who Burned His Feet home game, I recently got back from my 2nd appointment at the burn center where they removed the bandages and voila! Mostly healed! Sort of....  What the burn surgeon who removed my bandages said was "from a wound perspective, it's completely healed, however, you're likely to have about a week more of some pain and itching."  Bandages/compression wraps no longer needed, but just tons of moisturizer slathered on. But the good news is no infections and it is completely healthy....  So for those keeping score, it is just under 2 weeks since the incident. 2 weeks of discomfort (sometimes downright painful at times), pain in the ass (definitely no cooking for the last 2 weeks - I couldn't take the chance of getting the bandages wet) and just being exhausted - this thing has really sucked the energy out of me.

So, I will reiterate... wear shoes while cooking!!!!

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

For those playing the Idiot Who Burned His Feet home game,

I doubt many of us consider you an idiot! But it’s good to know that you are healing and that the worst is probably behind you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

OK - maybe not, but I certainly have done more than my share of stupid things!

Haven’t we all!

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, KennethT said:

For those playing the Idiot Who Burned His Feet home game, I recently got back from my 2nd appointment at the burn center where they removed the bandages and voila! Mostly healed! Sort of....  What the burn surgeon who removed my bandages said was "from a wound perspective, it's completely healed, however, you're likely to have about a week more of some pain and itching."  Bandages/compression wraps no longer needed, but just tons of moisturizer slathered on. But the good news is no infections and it is completely healthy....  So for those keeping score, it is just under 2 weeks since the incident. 2 weeks of discomfort (sometimes downright painful at times), pain in the ass (definitely no cooking for the last 2 weeks - I couldn't take the chance of getting the bandages wet) and just being exhausted - this thing has really sucked the energy out of me.

So, I will reiterate... wear shoes while cooking!!!!

This is very good news, Kenneth!  Pain is exhausting and depressing.  Glad things are looking up for you!  

• Thanks 1

I am finally getting to the point where I am thinking about getting back into the kitchen. That being said, because of the fun I've had these last few weeks, I'm nervous to do so without shoes.  Unfortunately, I really dislike wearing shoes in the apartment - so I'd to get some kind of shoe that I can keep in the kitchen and slip on/off without any assistance from my hands - clogs first come to mind.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

Clogs are good.  I used to wear Dansko clogs when I worked in the lab.  Even if a spill runs into them, they're easy to kick off on your way to the safety shower!  Sadly, all my old ones suffered Dansko crumbling sole fate even though the uppers were in good shape. 

I have some clogs from Crocs for in-house wear.  

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@blue_dolphin@ShelbyI used to have a pair of crocs that were gifted to me.  I didn't wear them often because I found them to be sweaty and generally not very comfortable without socks.  But that was years ago.... any thoughts about this?

Yeah...I get that.  That's why I get one size bigger if the reviews say they run small.  And I keep my house super cold lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@blue_dolphin@ShelbyI used to have a pair of crocs that were gifted to me.  I didn't wear them often because I found them to be sweaty and generally not very comfortable without socks.  But that was years ago.... any thoughts about this?

If I wear them for hours and hours, they can get a little sweaty. I do wear them without socks but like @Shelby says, I go for a looser fit.  Maybe that helps a bit with the ventilation?

• Like 1

I gave up Crocs for a number of reasons, not least of which is the orange man.

I've been very happy with these...and they have a few variations on this theme...Birkenstock

image.thumb.png.381d0a6a438ab9357a32806bd686d8c5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I gave up Crocs for a number of reasons, not least of which is the orange man.

I've been very happy with these...and they have a few variations on this theme...Birkenstock

image.thumb.png.381d0a6a438ab9357a32806bd686d8c5.png

While these are a lot more expensive than the Crocs, I like the moisture wicking footbed....

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

While these are a lot more expensive than the Crocs, I like the moisture wicking footbed....

They're super comfortable. And more supportive than the Crocs I've owned in the past. If your feet aren't worth it, what is?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not sure how I missed this one...but yikes!  

@KennethT - glad to hear you are on the mend.  Rest assured you will never do that again!

Unless you are planning on some high strap boots, even crocks or those birks are not going to totally protect you...I narrowly avoided a heavy Black Carbon Steel pan falling on my foot last week - left a nice ding in the maple hardwood, but better than then my foot. 

And let's face it, wearing shoes in the house!?  Ugh - big pet peeve of mine (people are not allowed in my house with shoes, minus my 96 year old grandmother whom it would take as long as her visit to get them off and into slippers).

• Like 2