• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wear shoes while cooking, and other sound kitchen advice

KennethT

After just returning from the ER with 2nd degree burns on the top of my feet - only narrowly missing my toes which would have landed me in the burn unit, I implore everyone to not make the same idiotic mistake I did!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

While household accidents may well be common, the idea that we don't think about this is nonsense. I think about it more and more as I age, especially as I now live alone, so if anything drastic did happen I may have difficulty getting help.

Not thinking about danger is a luxury of the young, although most people I know, young and old, are well aware of the potential problems. In fact, some of my younger friends are more cautious than I am.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I have to ask.. what did you Do/Drop? Assuming oil but wanting to rule out a rogue sausage / pancake attack. 😁

Swift healing. I don't think I'm allowed to wear shoes in the house. Breaks some kind of code. 

I was simmering a couple quarts of a really tasty red chile sauce for making red chile tacos. I had already cooked some chicken thighs in there, removed them to cool and pick the meat off the bones and was simmering the thick sauce just to thicken it further. At one point I got distracted and knocked the sauce pan handle and the pan started to slide off the stove and onto the floor. I grabbed the handle of the pot but in the process managed to dump the entire contents on my feet, floor and base cabinets.

• Sad 15

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

After just returning from the ER with 2nd degree burns on the top of my feet - only narrowly missing my toes which would have landed me in the burn unit, I implore everyone to not make the same idiotic mistake I did!!!

Sometimes I only wear shoes.  But...I always wear shoes in the kitchen. (If only Paris were here...)

I have a friend who is kinda known for cooking barefoot, and we've taken bets on, not whether, but when, he will impale his foot into the floor. Can't wait!

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ow. I still carry a scar on my shin from a mishap with a skillet of grease in which chicken had been fried. Now they just sit on the stove until they're cooled.

Hate that about the sauce, too.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My Vietnamese friend never wears shoes in the house or anywhere she can get away with barefoot. She is always cooking something. Clearly more graceful than I am.  Sad on the sauce. The whole fiasco plays like a slow motion horror movie underscored by pain and the need to clean up. 

• Like 1

Yeah, while the whole ER experience was something of itself, and the fact that I won't be able to be fully functioning or wear normal shoes for 2 weeks, the worst is losing that sauce. It was fantastic and I was really looking forward to those tacos.

• Sad 3

For years now, a lot of times I walk around the apartment and do whatever in the kitchen in a t shirt and boxers with no socks or shoes. Luckily, last night I happened to be wearing jeans and socks, otherwise my ankles would have gotten some too.  Unfortunately, that's all going to change. Clothes and shoes when cooking from now on.

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh my - ya jump out of way but the hot stuff is still on your body part. Amuses the cats and scares the dogs. What is the healing protocol?

Not much to do. Basically just apply an antibiotic cream to it 2x a day and keep it clean and elevated as much as possible - which will be tough at work but I'll have to do the best I can.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Sometimes I only wear shoes. 

Doesn’t bear thinking about. I’ll be cleaning the screen soon. Right after I stop laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I walk around the apartment and do whatever in the kitchen in a t shirt and boxers with no socks or shoes

Oh jeez - the mental image is now seared into my frontal cortex, and may never leave.  

Don't worry though - I have some lovely Hatch chilies for you, of every heat level.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Yeah, while the whole ER experience was something of itself, and the fact that I won't be able to be fully functioning or wear normal shoes for 2 weeks, the worst is losing that sauce. It was fantastic and I was really looking forward to those tacos.

Spoken like a true foodie/cook/eater/eG member. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I confess to not being the best housekeeper.  My surfaces are cleaned, but floors?  Not so much.  I used to joke that I knew it was time to mop the floor when the animals started to get stuck to it.  😄   Not that bad, but all my hard floors tend to be a little gritty a LOT of the time.  Consequently, I wear shoes ALL the time.  I have been accused of being like the princess and the pea and if I step on something gritty barefoot, I have to sit down and make sure every speck is brushed off.  That would truly interfere with my life, so shoes it is.  Also, I'm diabetic and have some numbness - I don't notice small cuts/abrasions.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Was the ER busy? Hope you didn't have to wait long! 

Burns can be so painful, can you wear slippers? 

Aside from pain and loss of your lovely sauce, the clean-up sounds messy as well. 🙁