• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instantpot Duo Evo Plus...does Sous Vide

Richard Kilgore

I received an Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 6 quart as a gift. My choice. In addition to wanting to see if it would actually save me some time and labor, it was promoted as having a Sous Vide function. My sister has had a regular Instapot for at least a year and she like it a lot, so I thought I would give it a try. But my penchant for cooking in clay vessels means there will not be many beans cooked in the instapot pressure cooker.

Has anyone else used this model for Sous Vide? If this works well, it would be one of the least expensive ways to Sous Vide.

• Like 1

I have used it --I got one for Christmas.  The first thing I did with it was sous vide some chicken breasts.  Worked like a charm.  I was kind of worried because there is no circulation but I was assured on another thread that it was fine without that.  

• Like 1

I have an ancient sous vide supreme. It was the first home unit available. Just a big water bath  with tight temp control and no circulator. 

It does fine. Gets to temp quickly and holds it within a few tenths of a degree.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have an ancient sous vide supreme. It was the first home unit available. Just a big water bath  with tight temp control and no circulator. 

It does fine. Gets to temp quickly and holds it within a few tenths of a degree.

I was an early adopter too...even got interviewed asked by the NY Times about it. (i was even a wise guy back then!) Then, once the Anova came out, sold it on Craig's List - that sucker took up a  lot of room!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

I was an early adopter too...even got interviewed asked by the NY Times about it. (i was even a wise guy back then!) Then, once the Anova came out, sold it on Craig's List - that sucker took up a  lot of room!

Me too and I loved it. But it was just too much of a space hog so I sent it to a new home. Love my Joule. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Its huge. But it lives in the basement.

You need one of them to have a SVS.

But I feel the same about the Instant Pot. Too big to live on the counter, it sleeps in the cellar, soon to be given to my daughter.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

i just cook for the two of us most of the time, but that's a big (heh) reason why i went with a 3 quart pot. enough to make 2 - 4 servings of most things, small enough to sit on the counter for a while or slide into a cupboard without much effort.

• Like 2

I have a home built system that used to have circulation, but the circulator motor has long since died.  But the rest of the system works fine - just like a SVS... but mine uses any standard stockpot (it's just the base) so once I'm done using it, I can dump the water out of the stockpot and put the base away easily.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a 6 qt IP Max.   I jumped in SV at the beginning before circulators became mainstream and own 3 immersion circulators.  I like that I can use different sized vessels to SV in.  Last year I started a packer brisket in the Sv bath before finishing on the smoker and grill.   Not sure I want to pull out the IP to SV

• Like 1

@Richard Kilgore and @Shelby what all of you think of the Duo Evo Plus outside of the SV ability — this is the first time I'm really tempted to update my vintage 2015 Duo. The stovetop-friendly pot is really an appealing feature.

As for sous vide, I doubt it would displace my Anova for long cooks — but the ability to SV in liquids other than pure water is really interesting to me. I could see it being really lovely for doing various types of confit in oil, or for poaching things in broth.

Just now, dtremit said:

@Richard Kilgore and @Shelby what all of you think of the Duo Evo Plus outside of the SV ability — this is the first time I'm really tempted to update my vintage 2015 Duo. The stovetop-friendly pot is really an appealing feature.

As for sous vide, I doubt it would displace my Anova for long cooks — but the ability to SV in liquids other than pure water is really interesting to me. I could see it being really lovely for doing various types of confit in oil, or for poaching things in broth.

I really like it.  

I've recently rearranged my cabinets so I can put it away if I want to but it's been sitting on the counter for a few days now.  Am I going to quit using my other smaller IP's?  No.  But I'm trying out all the new bells and whistles on the new one.  

It's big so I can make my stocks in one pot instead of having to use two.  

I don't know if the IP's that are newer than my two old ones have them, but a BIG cool thing are the handles.  It makes getting the pot out SO much easier.

thumbnail_IMG_0420.jpg.96f127ccd4cd244969cea33abf21dad7.jpg

I like how you set the temperature to your own custom temp--or you can choose one of the pre-programmed ones.  I've used the slow cooker to make a pork roast.  Worked great.  One thing I may be getting rid of is my regular slow cooker.

I've made ricotta cheese/cottage cheese.  The yogurt function is different than my older pots but I googled and figured it out.

I've pressure cooked chard....greens etc.  All good.

All in all, I recommend it :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby  

I have two 6 qt spares , and an 8 qt

all waiting patiently in their boxes

for The Call to Duty.

no matter , I got them very very cheaply on

Amazon Deal days.

recently I was able to see an ATK equipment review

not the ones on their weekly show

that showcased the iPot you mentioned

w the handles.   one ATK person , @ home used their preferred 

slow cooker , and one used this new iPot w the handles

to make a pork stew/shredded for Pork Tacos

their conclusion :

the person that used to use the slow cooker

has moved to this iPot , w the handles.

so 

congratulations !

you got the ATK favorite

inspite of them taking several years to figure this out.

Congratulations again.

R and MC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1