• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freshness of Tonka Beans

4mylgl6

Hi everyone,

I've just received a packet of tonka beans, and being a tonka newbie I'm not sure if they're good. I'm told they're supposed to have a very strong aroma and flavor akin to vanilla. But they have a very weak smell that I would say is closer to peppermint, and it's just barely there. Does it sound like I got a bad batch? Or does the aroma only come through once they're grated?

Thanks!

obviously we can't tell you how old your product is since we can't smell it, but whole spices are never as strongly smelling as when they're ground for a few reasons. grate one and smell it; i'm sure you'll experience a different odour. 

the smell and flavour of tonka is down to its high coumarin content. i wouldn't have personally said they smell like vanilla, but i guess i can see it. if you've ever smelled sweet woodruff, or sweetgrass, they're possessed of the same compound and scent / flavour. 

23 hours ago, jimb0 said:

obviously we can't tell you how old your product is since we can't smell it, but whole spices are never as strongly smelling as when they're ground for a few reasons. grate one and smell it; i'm sure you'll experience a different odour. 

the smell and flavour of tonka is down to its high coumarin content. i wouldn't have personally said they smell like vanilla, but i guess i can see it. if you've ever smelled sweet woodruff, or sweetgrass, they're possessed of the same compound and scent / flavour. 

On 1/15/2021 at 3:48 AM, 4mylgl6 said:

Hi everyone,

I've just received a packet of tonka beans, and being a tonka newbie I'm not sure if they're good. I'm told they're supposed to have a very strong aroma and flavor akin to vanilla. But they have a very weak smell that I would say is closer to peppermint, and it's just barely there. Does it sound like I got a bad batch? Or does the aroma only come through once they're grated?

Thanks!

I had a few tonka beans that I had to triple bag because the scent was so strong(for over a year!) that it would permeate anything nearby in the pantry. If you’ve smelled fresh pipe tobacco from a pouch, the aroma is similar and wonderful.