• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

On 3/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, CantCookStillTry said:

Its not all bad. I am jealous! 

Having spent time in the bush and eaten in many an Aussie pub I'd be very happy with that riff on surf and turf. My only complaint is that there's clearly nowhere one can get away from just too much carrot with a few other token bits of salad. I know it's cheap, stores well, takes almost zero prep (hence ubiquitous) but enough is quickly enough.

Still the pub is a great advance on the mess. Happy days.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 2:56 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Yes! It was Potato wedges and pasta bake. Not eadible apparently. 

Now guys. Should I be worried? I'm usually not concerned about the "Gentlemans Club" Saturday Nights. But. There is only 2 of them left and.. well... this looks like a date right ?!? 🤔😂😂 

Canteen Charcuterie Board.

received_705370867300337.thumb.jpeg.242a54bc24cd7eee6089b90de9f09e45.jpeg

I'd have thought a date, too, until I saw the Skittles.  LOL

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, FlashJack said:

My only complaint is that there's clearly nowhere one can get away from just too much carrot with a few other token bits of salad. 

I think (just my personal opinion) that the spiralized carrot and the lettuce bits ( add occasional beetroot) are the Aussie country equivalent of " Micro Greens " / Garnish. They know it's not getting eaten, why make chook food expensive 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Today you get dinner presented as it is to me and my feelings on it 😅

20220324_194738.thumb.jpg.811d91d9b306d27a80090581e438d5e2.jpg

"Cheese,lamb,salami,beetroot, weird chicken pasta,rocket and caesar dressing". 

He is the Weirdo. 

Toe is out of focus.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Today you get dinner presented as it is to me and my feelings on it 😅

20220324_194738.thumb.jpg.811d91d9b306d27a80090581e438d5e2.jpg

"Cheese,lamb,salami,beetroot, weird chicken pasta,rocket and caesar dressing". 

He is the Weirdo. 

What's it wrapped in, do you think? And does he dislike all pasta, or just pasta in this particular mixture? I'm a bit puzzled by "weird chicken pasta" and must admit that chicken pasta might be a bit strange.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, Smithy said:

What's it wrapped in, do you think?

I think its just like a flour wrap. I'm not trying to be difficult, they're just called "wraps" here. Maybe they go by a different name in the states? 

Heres some I have in the freezer anyway. Like a flour tortilla maybe? 

He loves pasta, its me that heavily objects to things like pasta and potato being put in what is basically a sandwich. This pasta was weird because of the flavour apparently - he says it was "Tuscan Chicken Pasta" but can't (or won't) elaborate any further 😅. Sorry. 

20220325_184203.thumb.jpg.8c32f16d48a87bce11557f7da734296e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting about the word for that. Yes, around here we usually call them tortillas, with a modifier as to what they're made from: "flour tortilla" or "corn tortilla" or "whole grain tortilla" or whatever. "Wrap" implies that it's wrapped or rolled around some contents. I think of it as meaning wrapped so securely that it can be eaten out of hand. What he showed you looked more like a tortilla cone, or bowl...needing a fork or spoon. I may take the term too literally, though. I can't speak for all Yanks.

I guess we'll just have to wonder about "weird chicken pasta". 🙂

I am thoroughly entertained by this topic! Please tell him to keep 'em coming!

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tortilla is still the more common term around here.  Depending on the store, I see an increasing amount of shelf space devoted to "wraps" of various flavors and colors and made from different types of flours with a significant number of "gluten-free" options.  They are often made by tortilla companies but the wraps are often packaged in smaller packages at higher prices: Annals of Price Discrimination: A Wrap’s Just a Tortilla That Costs More

• Like 2

As @blue_dolphin notes on the marketing and pricing, and additional flavorings. To me a flour tortilla and a wrap don't taste the same.  I wouldn't use a cold flour tortila as the"wrap"/bread component of a cold sandwich but that is how I see them marketed. For some marketing reason they thought they'd make it sound more healthy (hence the veggie add-in to the dough) Then again I've eaten very few, never bought them, and the only "wrap" thing I used to buy consistenty was the spinach feta wrap at StarBucks which they heat and crisp a bit. So...we know what you meant :)  The presentation was a bit terrifying ;) 

• Haha 3