• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

Tonight we stick it to the man with a cold dinner, and some single use plastics, in his living and their serving box(es). 

Tonight he is making himself wraps with; lettuce, cheese, beet and cucumber, mayo, sweet chilli and tartare (wtf) sauces and ham, pork, chicken and salami. I want to say all those fillings won't be for one wrap, but knowing my weirdo, I would be lying. 

I feel guilty as I forgot to buy him a Bento these days off (thought we could get round it that way). 

received_1186136175203618.thumb.jpeg.a795ae4c6f24f2fb264ead69e89c1b04.jpeg

He hasn't toetaly forgotten the assignment. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 10

Tonight we stick it to the man with a cold dinner, and some single use plastics, in his living and their serving box(es). 

Tonight he is making himself wraps with; lettuce, cheese, beet and cucumber, mayo, sweet chilli and tartare (wtf) sauces and ham, pork, chicken and salami. I want to say all those fillings won't be for one wrap, but knowing my weirdo, I would be lying. 

I feel guilty as I forgot to buy him a Bento these days off (thought we could get round it that way). 

He hasn't toetaly forgotten the assignment. 

Yippee! A foot!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight we are going for illegal sandwiches, with mixed cured meats, lettuce, cheese, and mayo. I want to say the potato and pasta salad will be a side but, I haven't lied to you guys yet 😬

20211022_193140.jpg.f154ede6b4220717b5cebf06d43d1411.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry
Slang does not travel well (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Tonight we are going for illegal sambos, with mixed cured meats, lettuce, cheese, and mayo. I want to say the potato and pasta salad will be a side but, I haven't lied to you guys yet 😬

I'll bite...what makes them "illegal"?

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

24 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I'll bite...what makes them "illegal"?

I'll also bite: are you suggesting the potato and pasta salad will be IN the sandwich? Or just a standalone meal?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Tonight we are going for illegal sambos

And while we're asking questions, is there a difference between a sambo and a sando?

The first term (with no food association) is generally considered offensive here in the US.

The "illegal" comment was in reference to the fact they are no longer meant to eat in their accomodation as previously noted.

And he will 100% put the pasta and potato in his sandwich. 

And on to Semantics. 

I have never heard of the word in question being used to mean anything other than Sandwich. It is innocent Australian vernacular as far as I am concerned. But this morning I have been educated that it has other meanings in the US / Spanish so I will no longer use it on this forum. "Sando" is a Japanese colloquialism I believe that the US has jumped on for instagram - or a vest in the Phillipines 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

it has other meanings in the US / Spanish

It also has the offensive meaning in the UK and Ireland.

Most  of my antipodean acquaintances talk about samwiches and samiches, which I thought meant the same, but according to this they are different -  slightly.

In Russian sambo is a kind of martial art something like a cross between sumo wrestling and karate.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I must be sheltered because I have never heard that word in any context other than sandwich (not sure if that is a positive or a negative). Apologies, it is banned from my lexicon. And I'm going to have to let a couple of cafes and bakeries know 😬

Moving on, tonight is the return of the 'gentlemans club'. And sh!tty nibblies, partly provided by me and the canteen. I packed him a gentlemans club cheer up box. 

received_400857401716455.thumb.jpeg.cd67db4eefc2d3d790a30d42991ef1e1.jpeg 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:13 AM, Kim Shook said:

So, is Mr. Cantcook aware that his digits are the subject of so much interest all over the known world?  😂

I have told him his photos go out unedited so people can see his feet. I also told him people make jokes (good natured) - he's aware - it is Consensual! 😂

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Less toes in the mess. 

Roast lamb tonight. Trying for a report on whats in the goody bag behind but gone silent. 

received_565159338104368.thumb.jpeg.91cc7ad1aea9e6525e791c453c20ee37.jpeg

Looks like beer bottles to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou