• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

22 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Are Thesaurus' still a thing?

Most certainly. I worked on a famous one and have many thesaurus engineer friends!

I don't think that's what he needs. Dry meat is typical of this kind of canteen food. Cooked in advance and held until serving time. I'm surprised they get the vegetables OK.  

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Most certainly. I worked on a famous one and have many thesaurus engineer friends!

I don't think that's what he needs. Dry meat is typical of this kind of canteen food. Cooked in advance and held until serving time. I'm surprised they get the vegetables OK.  

But the plural of thesaurus?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

But the plural of thesaurus?

Thesauruses. No question.

When words from other languages become naturalised into Englsh, they almost always take on regular English inflections. There are thousands of examples.

Pluralising a fully naturalised word (since the 16 century) using obsolete forms from dead languages is just pretentious.

Latin died for good reasons!

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So I was granted a picture from the "Finer Things" gentlemans club. A charcuterie board made entirely from camp food. I actually think its okay! A lil bit kids party but hey, at least they have a sense of humor and are social 🙂🧀

received_177557234466033.thumb.jpeg.98f14dcd9b5d5e6d1efbf376ae1d76a9.jpeg

Crackers, kabana I think, roast beef, pepperoni, 3x cheerios (cold red hot dogs sort of, also known as little boys 😬🤷‍♀️), mixed fruit and nuts? Tasty Cheese, maybe Brie?  And Rum. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry
Spelling (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Pork Belly and Veggies tonight with more of that turtle killing single use plastic. 

received_265323638771992.thumb.jpeg.cfef794e90131183fedc7fbaf01b8ed2.jpeg

Crocodile Dundee would have eaten the container too.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chicken Curry, Mash, Mixed Greens & Veg, after a very long day. Ironically they had a "safety reset" this AM which means they go over best practices, probably due to a industry death down south. However this put them very behind and they are short staffed so lunch wasn't until 3pm (they start at 430am) and then they worked late. So i'm sure that although it looks like poop. Its probably (hopefully) a big warm hug. 

In turtle killing plastic. 

received_1082448109193947.thumb.jpeg.ff42d15d505cf94f6f7132cb99428336.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Boys and Girls. 

Husbandio has been off with a chest infection hence the silence. He has come back to a "weird" dinner set up. Its now " self serve " and they have run out of polystyrene boxes - this is the current solution. 

I have not asked him what it is yet. Thought might be fun to guess 😬😂

I think maybe pork chop? And Veg? 

received_305389330917369.thumb.jpeg.34bb98ccd72313d40edb7e13ae2420f5.jpeg

• Like 8

It was a chicken leg! And wedges. 

I am afraid our series is in trouble. They have enforced eating in the mess if you want a hot meal - no more takeaway boxes to your room. Its going to take a lot for me to convince him to take a public food picture ☹☹

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, FlashJack said:

The covid-safe reasoning behind that eludes me. And, I'm sure, you and many more.

Sounds like a hot mess.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, FlashJack said:

The covid-safe reasoning behind that eludes me. And, I'm sure, you and many more.

If we've learned anything from covid its that when morons are in charge they make moronic rules.

• Like 3