• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

Yes sorry, blast crew terminology - borrowed from seafarers / soldiers of yesteryear. 

Tonight was Pork, Pasta and Veges. Also on offer was a Seafood Mornay, which was new but not the kind of thing to tickle his tasties. 

20210804_180558.jpg.05941e0c6ffda8e1ac3ac01974ccaf35.jpg

Pork is a little dry and we think it could be the Maggi powder gravy. Thats a "royal we" I have no idea. 

First a thong, now a bare top, perhaps tomorrow brings the full monty 😂🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

It dosen't look pretty but I'm told it wasn't bad. Bit carby. Wedges, corned beef and rive with gravy. 

I have to admit, slices (chunks) of meat that big do NOT do it for me. I'm a thinly sliced over doorsteps of meat kinda gal (as are my teeth). 

20210805_184128.jpg.f80a528194a9fe0961fbecb89d2afa48.jpg

The tease. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

I agree, I think they look more appealing but that could be bias. Tonight will be the last of the "opposite crew" and we'll go back to our original chefs for a week to compare. Still need to find out how often they get fresh produce delivered. 

Last night was pork schnitzel with gravy and veg & rice (I had to take his word for it - you do too!). Veges look fresh not frozen to me.

20210810_175547.jpg.2ff28d725cf800d270701c739e4bb479.jpg

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I agree, I think they look more appealing but that could be bias. Tonight will be the last of the "opposite crew" and we'll go back to our original chefs for a week to compare. Still need to find out how often they get fresh produce delivered. 

Last night was pork schnitzel with gravy and veg & rice (I had to take his word for it - you do too!). Veges look fresh not frozen to me.

20210810_175547.jpg.2ff28d725cf800d270701c739e4bb479.jpg

The food might be better, but other standards are slipping. What is the point of an other episode of "Toe Story" without any toes?  😁

• Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonights meal to me, is Huge (they're all huge to me but this one more than most). 

Chilli Con Carne with Rice, sour cream, quac, tortilla chips and a small familys weekly rice ration. 

It looks perfectly reasonable to me and was awarded "it was delish, meal of the week" high praise indeed. 

20210810_192838.jpg

• Like 14

Back to our day ones. It looks okay to me. I mean one can hardly complain about half a chicken! Ok it might not be a "Cheeky Nandos" and he says it's dry but the broc looks fresh and the wedges - well potato is potato and can do no wrong. Apparently he could have opted for the usual gravy or a chili sauce which he 'forgot'... so lack of lubrication is his own fault if you ask me. 

received_3032211476998862.thumb.jpeg.d8d8914b567f0a5858ed9c28309aa920.jpeg

As far as I'm concerned, while it didn't hit last nights yumminess - this shouldn't be a meal to complain about 🙂🤷‍♀️

• Like 8

On 8/10/2021 at 5:35 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Tonights meal to me, is Huge (they're all huge to me but this one more than most). 

Chilli Con Carne with Rice, sour cream, quac, tortilla chips and a small familys weekly rice ration. 

It looks perfectly reasonable to me and was awarded "it was delish, meal of the week" high praise indeed. 

20210810_192838.jpg

Yay!  Meal of the week!

• Haha 1

Tonights tea and peekatoe. 

Funny story, last night someone stole my husbands boots from the front of his box! He suspected a prank but nope, someone really wanted his stinky size 14 work boots 🤢. He spent the day working in size 12 steel cap gum boots. So thats one sad little piggy 😂

Anyway, dinner is lamb and bacon casserole, mash, sweetpotato, cauli and peas. I have a flavour report of quite sweet but also savoury and great with the mash. Now.. I don't really know what that means either, but I think its a hit. 

received_580490749758002.jpeg

• Like 8

Here's a question I have about all these meals - served in those little (whatever they're made out of) to-go containers.

Why not provide either washable or compostable real plates? I realize they're not dining in the most lush surroundings, and the jobs are insanely tough, but wouldn't it be nice to eat lunch and dinner off of a plate? Just for the slight mental or morale boost.  It might not make all the difference in the world, but my guess is any difference made which makes something feel a little homier, would be nice.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

Here's a question I have about all these meals - served in those little (whatever they're made out of) to-go containers.

Why not provide either washable or compostable real plates? I realize they're not dining in the most lush surroundings, and the jobs are insanely tough, but wouldn't it be nice to eat lunch and dinner off of a plate? Just for the slight mental or morale boost.  It might not make all the difference in the world, but my guess is any difference made which makes something feel a little homier, would be nice.

I'm curious about that as well.  It sounds like there is an option of eating in a common area vs bringing meals back to their "hut" or "box" and I wondered if the take-out container was used for everyone or not.  @CantCookStillTry has indicated that the styrofoam containers need to be replaced at some point.  Here in the US, most national chains have switched to other options (either coated cardboard or other plastics) as local styrofoam bans have been enacted.  Not sure the replacements are more environmentally advantageous but we'll see.  I'll be interested in what this particular operation will choose. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay so I asked and yes, they could use a plate if they ate in food hall but that's really not a popular option. He has metal cutlery or can currently opt for plastic. From the 1st of sept, in Qld all single use plastics and polystyrene, straws cutlery etc are banned. I am very curious to see what they use, bamboo products are on the rise here... feel that may cause its own problems down the track. 

Parmy and Veg tonight for his final night. Its his absolute fav, so was never going to win an award, but filled with comfort all the same 🙂

received_1828904747317882.thumb.jpeg.129a6568c0fd3539f924f4694c386577.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Okay so I asked and yes, they could use a plate if they ate in food hall but that's really not a popular option.

Wow - I guess after working all day with each other, they prefer the solace of eating alone, out of take-out containers with plastic utensils. And half-naked!

When he comes home, do you eat half-naked?

• Haha 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And we are back for the next swing. Kicking off with roast pork, pasta and fresh veg. The veges got a vote of good and the pork a vote of a bit dry.... he is not very forthcoming with his reviews 😓😂

received_532195924772122.thumb.jpeg.53747da09b43620c7e85f136f03f61d7.jpeg

They are not completely anti social,  my hub and 2 others have a "Gentlemans Club" on a saturday night, where they eat nibblies from the dining hall out of polystyrene on one of their porches and try weird booze (so long as no blasting next day)... this week they were scouring op shops (charity stores?) For "Gentlemans Attire" I will try for pictures. But don't hold your breath. They also eat lunch together and smoko everyday, so... I can see why evening solace is a thing. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

They are not completely anti social,  my hub and 2 others have a "Gentlemans Club" on a saturday night, where they eat nibblies from the dining hall out of polystyrene on one of their porches and try weird booze (so long as no blasting next day)... this week they were scouring op shops (charity stores?) For "Gentlemans Attire" I will try for pictures. But don't hold your breath. They also eat lunch together and smoko everyday, so... I can see why evening solace is a thing. 

I understand this.  Living with and working with the same folks is not easy.  I think with the pandemic and so many folks working from home, many of us are dealing with the same issue.  The "Gentlemans Club" is a great idea.  I wish Mr. Kim would find one.  I have barely been alone for over a year and I'm getting desperate.  🤪😁

• Haha 7