• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

Another strange (to me) combo. Chili Con Carne with Rice & Guac (standard) with a side of pumpkin and potato (weird). I don't eat pumpkin, but I get that it could be nice to some people... I really don't get people that cook and eat Pumpkin skin on! (My husband... and this mine apparently).

I'm too tired to edit out ol'twinkletoe. Soccer has resumed for the kid and the day was loooong. 

received_294065035590540.thumb.jpeg.3b140b7074471942ebebcf363102b269.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Another strange (to me) combo. Chili Con Carne with Rice & Guac (standard) with a side of pumpkin and potato (weird). I don't eat pumpkin, but I get that it could be nice to some people... I really don't get people that cook and eat Pumpkin skin on! (My husband... and this mine apparently).

I'm too tired to edit out ol'twinkletoe. Soccer has resumed for the kid and the day was loooong. 

received_294065035590540.thumb.jpeg.3b140b7074471942ebebcf363102b269.jpeg

I feel like the tippy toes are on purpose now.  😄😄😄 I find the skin on pumpkin strange, too.  I wouldn't expect rice with chili, but maybe that's just me.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Clearly you have never worked in a mine. Painted toenails = death by a thousand ostracisms.

I have worked in a mine.  Process control programming.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I feel like the tippy toes are on purpose now.  😄😄😄 I find the skin on pumpkin strange, too.  I wouldn't expect rice with chili, but maybe that's just me.  

The Aussies must take after the English with their interpretation of Chili Con Carne, it's always with rice in the UK too, although I have noticed American recipes have it as a stand alone dish ... and i've always seen it as an American meal 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

The Aussies must take after the English with their interpretation of Chili Con Carne, it's always with rice in the UK too, although I have noticed American recipes have it as a stand alone dish ... and i've always seen it as an American meal 🙂

FWIW I've seen it served with rice at many restaurants in Canada as well, though admittedly not within the past couple of decades. Must be just a reflexive pairing of rice & beans, 'cause chili is a bean dish, right? (Ducks and hides from the purists...)

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I am firmly in the chili mac camp (chili with elbow macaroni), so I don't know why I find rice with chili odd.  In the US, I would guess that the most common carb "go with" is macaroni (and, of course, spaghetti in Cincinnati).  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

In the US, I would guess that the most common carb "go with" is macaroni (and, of course, spaghetti in Cincinnati).  

I’m not a huge fan of chilli so can’t say that I have much experience eating it but I have never known it to be served with anything more exotic than some toasted bread. Or before the demise of a particular very local restaurant, over french fries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In south Louisiana, there are people who pair rice with anything and everything, including chili.  More people pair it with cornbread (on the side). I’m not sure how regional that is. Personally, my favorite way is with Fritos, unless it’s chili made with chunks instead of ground meat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

1 hour ago, patti said:

More people pair it with cornbread (on the side). I’m not sure how regional that is. Personally, my favorite way is with Fritos, unless it’s chili made with chunks instead of ground meat. 

A years-ago friend of mine (a physicist from Colorado) made what he called "Mexican shepherd's pie," which was chili with the cornbread baked on top.

I don't know if it's common in those environs or was unique to his family, but I make it occasionally when the mood strikes.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

23 hours ago, chromedome said:

A years-ago friend of mine (a physicist from Colorado) made what he called "Mexican shepherd's pie," which was chili with the cornbread baked on top.

I don't know if it's common in those environs or was unique to his family, but I make it occasionally when the mood strikes.

I do a version of that with just a flavored ground beef mixture under the cornbread.  I don't know why it hasn't ever occurred to me to make that layer chili, but I've just added that idea to my menu document.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have worked in a mine.  Process control programming.

My apologies for the assumption.
Mines I knew back in the day were dirty places and very blokey. 

• Like 1

I had to look twice after I asked what it was to work this out. 

20210505_193816.thumb.jpg.fef4a719f4aa022ecef1c2c8a0dd834d.jpg

"Beef burger, bacon, onion, wedges, carrot, zucchini and squash" 

With a rating of "Dins was Good" and the only complaint "Zuchinni was mush". 🙂

• Like 10

On 4/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, Kim Shook said:

I do a version of that with just a flavored ground beef mixture under the cornbread.  I don't know why it hasn't ever occurred to me to make that layer chili, but I've just added that idea to my menu document.

A common term is Tex-Mex tamale pie. Many employ Jif cornbread mix which I like just fine. Yes on cornbread with chili here and no no no to pasta. It does not repel me but is not common at all. And the classic slit the bag of Fritos the long way and ladle on chili is a popular concession stand item. Common term Frito Pie though clearly not a pie.

• Like 1

I think I finally figured out the burger.  No bun?  And I'm assuming that Australian bacon is similar to British bacon rather than American?  Question about the corned beef.  Is it common to serve it with a sauce?  It looks pretty good - like American cream gravy except maybe it broke?  There seem to be little bits in it.  The potatoes look good - like from actually potatoes and not flakes.  

I am really messing up this edit. 

Yes its just a dry old patty. Aussie budget bacon comes with the eye of the back and the streaky of the belly still attached. So it's really long. 

Yes the white sauce is normal, usually either with peppercorn or wholegrain mustard. I don't eat it myself. This one looks lumpy to me... possibly packet mix? 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 2