• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mining Meals - Pickaxe Not Included

Lunch was confirmed as Tuna Cakes with no oatmeal. Someone may have mentioned toes and now someone else with size 14 feet has paranoia 😂🤷‍♀️

Meatloaf, mash, veg & pasta. I'm thinking they must not peel the potatoes for that colour what do you think? 

received_483224519510964.thumb.jpeg.f04a9557747f71d7f685e80a5105782d.jpeg

Biccies (atleast we have some moisture for tomorrow). 

received_138463538135548.thumb.jpeg.7df7a6e6f4bff608829b845cf751b194.jpeg

Don't mind the dirty nails...they are washed but it's coal and bomb. Stained forever. 

BLT - average size this time.

received_3967356843307696.thumb.jpeg.3997582c15825302f350a969e89eaf9a.jpeg

Fried rice - 2 days in a row must be yummy. 

received_478800260168145.thumb.jpeg.2812648399785bfbb550ec086da72e24.jpeg

He thinks beef schnitzel/snitzel/snitty

received_1130702747368655.thumb.jpeg.0f90d3d151ff7e688d31daa6a395b6f1.jpeg

I'd call it a crumbed steak. 

My son would call it a big beef nuggie 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CantCookStillTry
You all know I can't spell by now (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Don't mind the dirty nails...they are washed but it's coal and bomb. Stained forever. 

That's how Ronnie's usually are.  'Tis how hands get when they work hard :) .

I must admit to never having had Vegemite   I wonder if they even sell it over here?  I don't think I've ever seen it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I must admit to never having had Vegemite   I wonder if they even sell it over here?  I don't think I've ever seen it.

Oh yes quite available. World market has it. My Ralphs (Kroger has Marmite and another close market has Kraft Vegemite shown

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

That's how Ronnie's usually are.  'Tis how hands get when they work hard :) .

Well, I've never had Marmite because I'm afraid of being seen buying it 😄. Stick with the home team. They do sell Marmite here for the foreigners.

• Haha 6

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

15 hours ago, haresfur said:

Well, I've never had Marmite because I'm afraid of being seen buying it 😄. Stick with the home team. They do sell Marmite here for the foreigners.

I've been converted. My parents kindly ship me Marmite. But I'm a Vegemite convert. Love that kick in the tongue/teeth/throat 😂

• 2 weeks later...

This one was too good not to share. Unfortunately my husband had just had a similar looking experience with his week old niece 😂

20210312_181811.thumb.jpg.b06de71e5db03d85131a76fe384d1b06.jpg

I mainly popped in to say QLD has banned all single use plastics and polystyrene from September... will be interesting to see how the mine adapts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Things have been pretty quiet on this thread so it's time for another tale from mineral exploration.

There's a certain established routine of things in bush camps and your food flights are pretty much central to existence. In a small short-term camp you needed to consider how much stuff you were going to have to move back out as well as move in.

One year, two of us were sent from our well-established camp to a reconnaissance operation in the mountains. We were sent ahead to set up camp at the first location, where we would meet two others including the "party chief" from down south. Then we would move to the second location. We knew what to do. Place a food order to go in with you and file a second one to be flown out the next week. When that comes in, send the next one back in the plane and repeat until you get to go home. No problem. However, the party chief decided not to check that we had our act together and, when he flew in a couple of days behind, proceeded to bring in more food and file a second food order for the next week. So double food to waste. 

To make matters worse, there was a trophy hunter camp on the same lake as our second camp (We didn't know that until we flew over. Otherwise maybe we could have advocated to pay them to put us up in nicer accommodations and cook for us.) The hunting guide and client came by to say hi (always check in on others when you are in the middle of nowhere) and kindly gave us 1/4 of a Dall sheep. Made some pretty good chili and some overly salty jerky, dried over the wood stove. Made friends in the bar back in town handing around sheep jerky like some kind of grizzled fur trappers.

NwtCamp.thumb.jpg.86662acc246b922720733516bc50ef6b.jpg

• Like 14

I laughed at the food photo and description, but this is no laughing matter:

On 3/12/2021 at 1:21 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I mainly popped in to say QLD has banned all single use plastics and polystyrene from September... will be interesting to see how the mine adapts. 

This is Good News (IMO) and something I'd asked about earlier. I too will be interested to know how the mining company adapts.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 3/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, CantCookStillTry said:

Hire Dabbawallas!

dabbawala.jpg.8e4e6689bbd89c4e3882ff6301f8b0a5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for asking. We were lucky / unlucky with that event. We barely got a drop of water where we are in comparison. Enough to fill a tank but not enough to run off and everyones dams are still empty. I think I prefer that to stock and property loss however - our dome has provided a blessing along with the curse. 

• Like 4

Here's a few from the last couple of stints. I kinda stopped because I felt bad posting meals that weren't great when I am sure the people making them are trying the best they can with what they have. 

Snitzel and chips. Firm fan favourite. Eaten in bed by the looks. Probably had a liquid starter. Yes I know it's spelt wrong. 

received_2543262219310686.thumb.jpeg.f67781c7cf5c8cc2d609ef25a8d8099b.jpeg

Curry and rice and veg. 

Guess who's back, back again, toes are back, tell a friend. 😂

received_281904120116334.thumb.jpeg.fc72f35634d8ecb08b8b1264a3db0c9b.jpeg

Beef ribs with a rating of "really good" which suprised me as Beef ribs are one of his most favourite things. 

received_327904125617358.thumb.jpeg.1576534f66cf85436989410a70c7a2d9.jpeg

And chicken something with veg and mash. The pickled beetroot in the gravy did not do it for me, and I just looked at the picture 😁

received_353739506042787.thumb.jpeg.bc18d79ccab82af2fbd702b442723217.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I had to laugh at the eyeballs, too!  

I think the schnitzel and beef ribs actually look really good.  Yes on plates.  Can he take/can you mail him a stack of sturdy paper ones?  And that was quite a dollop of guac.  I'm guessing a bag of tortilla chips would have been welcome.  

• Like 2

I could send him with proper cutlery and plates but then he'd have to wash it etc etc. He is making his own choices here.  He did cave and take my emergency box of noods and hot sauce. 

Tonight was really good. They changed the gravy brand they use and sodium levels have reached eadible. He says tonights (scrolls up to check kims post) Schnitzel - pork and the potato were really good. The squash, courgette and bok choy ranged from mush to raw. You win some you loose some. 

received_938862563344241.thumb.jpeg.82b1dafb1e2edf533253b62f47d51933.jpeg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I personally think the Schnitzels look deep fried?

Probably.  Can't imagine the cook being able to spend time frying and flipping them in a pan.  In a pot of oil or a commercial deep fryer, much easier.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Probably.  Can't imagine the cook being able to spend time frying and flipping them in a pan.  In a pot of oil or a commercial deep fryer, much easier.

That makes sense.  I usually do them in a pan, too, @CantCookStillTry.  Unless they have a large griddle, deep frying is the fastest, easiest way to get a lot done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

with Sweet Potato & Pasta

They do seem to have tendency to serve carbs with carbs. Looking back, the last three meals had double carbs. Wouldn't do that myself but...

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

They do seem to have tendency to serve carbs with carbs. Looking back, the last three meals had double carbs. Wouldn't do that myself but...

Yeah its very carb heavy. The lunches are all carby too. I originally thought it would be more meat and veg or slow burn carbs but, maybe thats not as budget friendly. I do know there are hot chips available every night, and pasta every night... I couldn't do it myself (well I could but my jeans would hate me) but I guess it's countered out by the physical labour. 

• Like 4

On 4/22/2021 at 7:48 AM, liuzhou said:

Imagine it's a break even when you're sweating your ass off burning a million carbs a day ⛏️💪

Would be very happy with that lamb and 'schnitzel'.   I need more lamb in my life.  

• Like 4

That wasn't chicken