• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I should hazard a powder monkey is someone who transports blasting powder, as opposed to baking powder.

Yes.

ˈpowder-ˌmonkey

a.a A humorous term for a powder-boy on board ship. Also fig. Now also (U.S.) a term for a member of a blasting crew; = powder-man c.

OED

ˈpowder-boy

A boy employed on board ship to carry gunpowder from the powder-room to the guns; a ‘powder-monkey’.

OED

ˈpowder-man

†a.a ? A dealer in gunpowder. Obs. b.b A man who supplies the guns with powder on board a man-of-war. c.c One who attends to the powder used in blasting operations, etc.

OED

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should hazard a powder monkey is someone who transports blasting powder, as opposed to baking powder.

Yes.

ˈpowder-ˌmonkey

a.a A humorous term for a powder-boy on board ship. Also fig. Now also (U.S.) a term for a member of a blasting crew; = powder-man c.

OED

ˈpowder-boy

A boy employed on board ship to carry gunpowder from the powder-room to the guns; a ‘powder-monkey’.

OED

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yes.

ˈpowder-ˌmonkey

OED