• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I grill oysters without shells?

Kim Shook

What I mean is: can I use something other than shells to hold the oysters on a grill?  I have a pint of Rappahannock oysters in the freezer.  I bought two at Thanksgiving thinking I'd be using one for Thanksgiving dressing and one for Xmas.  Jessica decided to make her challah dressing, so I've got that pint that I need to use.  Mr. Kim is weird about oysters.  He didn't eat any bivalves when we met.  He will now eat scallops and mussels.  Clams are OUT.  Oysters are always maybe - he loves oyster dressing and adored the Rockefeller at Galatorie's  in NOLA.  He still doesn't like them fried or in soup.  He was looking forward to the grilled ones at Acme in NOLA, but we were too full to have them the one night we could have.  I was thinking of trying to recreate them.  But I don't have shells.  Could I put them in a muffin tin?  Little soufflé cups?  Maybe 2 oysters in a 6 oz. soufflé cup?  Would they even survive the grill?  Could I do them in the oven???   I have questions!  Thanks!

I don't see any reason why you can't use something else (besides the oyster shells). Actually, the shells can be a PITA in that they can be irregularly-shaped, can tip over to one side, juices spill out, etc.

IMO, no problem cooking them in the oven. The souffle cups would be good for "presentation."

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CentralMA said:

Cast iron oyster grilling pan

https://www.outsetinc.com/products/oyster-grill-pan

I imagine a muffin pan would work but it might take quite a beating if used on a grill if I understand a grill to mean some sort of barbeque. 

Google coughs up multiple baked/broiled oysters (naked or otherwise) recipes. Naked grilled oysters don’t show up quite so often. But if I understand @Kim Shook’s question it is specifically about grilled, naked oysters. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

if you're putting toppings on them a la Rockefeller, I don't see why you couldn't use a small vessel or a larger gratin style dish and bake or broil them to heat through

My mind leapt to the scallop shells from the 80's - plus pretty presentation. https://www.wayfair.com/Nantucket-Seafood--Nantucket-Seafood-Natural-Shell-Novelty-Baking-Dish

• Like 2

I would use aluminum foil, and shape it like a oyster shell. Probably fold it a few times to get 2 or 3 layers. Heat will transfer very quickly so you wont "over cook" the oysters. Thats probably the closest you will get to grilled oysters without using an actual shell.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

I imagine a muffin pan would work but it might take quite a beating if used on a grill if I understand a grill to mean some sort of barbeque. 

Google coughs up multiple baked/broiled oysters (naked or otherwise) recipes. Naked grilled oysters don’t show up quite so often. But if I understand @Kim Shook’s question it is specifically about grilled, naked oysters. 

I'm actually thinking about the New Orleans version of grilled oysters.  Butter, garlic, herbs, Romano.  I found this recipe online.  I figure I'll pare down some of the ingredients - can't believe I'll need a pound of butter and 20 cloves of garlic for a pint of oysters.  Mr. Kim has said that he can chargrill them on his smoker.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm actually thinking about the New Orleans version of grilled oysters.  Butter, garlic, herbs, Romano.  I found this recipe online.  I figure I'll pare down some of the ingredients - can't believe I'll need a pound of butter and 20 cloves of garlic for a pint of oysters.  Mr. Kim has said that he can chargrill them on his smoker.  

I’m curious as to how you will contain the oysters since as I understand it you don’t have the shells?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’m curious as to how you will contain the oysters since as I understand it you don’t have the shells?

I have some little souffle cups that I think will work.  I was thinking a muffin tin, but it might be awkward for three of us to try to eat out of one muffin tin! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm actually thinking about the New Orleans version of grilled oysters.  Butter, garlic, herbs, Romano.  I found this recipe online.  I figure I'll pare down some of the ingredients - can't believe I'll need a pound of butter and 20 cloves of garlic for a pint of oysters....

That's what that loaf of French bread (in the recipe) is for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1