• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Flexible Fillet Knife?

paul o' vendange

Hello all,

I send my best hopes you are safe and well during this terrible time.  

I've a need for a better fish fillet knife.   I've a host of old knives for boning and filleting ranging from semi-flexible to rigid, among them older Chicago Cutlery and restaurant-chewed up Sysco blue handles.

I know they are fantastic, but at this time anyway not looking for a Deba style.  Of the flexible-bladed knives, I do like the wider knife, less the narrower style.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Do you have an example? because IME wider blades tend to be less flexible that narrower ones so i'm a little confused as to exactly what you are looking for.

If you are looking for something inexpensive but good F.Dick makes pretty good knives for butchery & filleting fish. Something a little nice maybe a silverthorn

• Like 1

Sure.  First is Matfer's "couteau filet de sole," A flexible blade, wider:

w-1200-h-630-zc-2-couteau-filet-de-sole-

Second would be Wusthof's "Grand Prix II Flexible Filet de Sole."  Flexible filet blade, with a more dramatic sweep and narrower blade.  It is also flexible (v. "semi-flexible" or "rigid":

wu4625$01-wusthof-4625-18-grand-prix-ii-

I know Wusthof makes an 8" model, 4518-7/20, which looks good.

61zdwlqLEWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It isn't cheap, and I'm wondering if anyone has been happy with lower cost knives for filleting large flat fish, salmon, etc.

Edited by paul o' vendange
Wusthof image (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Thanks.  I was looking to spend less for the fillet knife - the Wusthof being the upper end at $110. 

Could be I'm thinking of semi-flexible, of which I have a few, but none of which I'm truly happy with.  I've seen flexibility in different widths, many wider than a standard "sport fishing" profile fillet knife.  Expensive, I know, and thinner, but MAC for instance, fairly wide:

couteau-filet-sole-japonais-mac-professi

-Paul