• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for anyone who bought Japanese cookware/kitchen gadgets in the USA

Tony Mak

4 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

Will you consider another brand ? How about Inomata mini ice trays ( 48 small grain per tray) , just let me if you interested, thanks!

Thanks, I ordered one to try.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just wondering what is yr favour cookware and/or kitchen utensils from Japan? I am curious, do we have a big majority of the people who has interest in Japan cookware? ( Am I alone? am i the only one who loves Japan cookware ? ). Please feel free to say HI and share any comments below and will share as such as i could.

Any Japan cookware that you ever desire ? Feel free to share... 

My favour cookware from Japan ; reasons

1. Marble Frying Pan (26cm) ; can use less oil and it's easy to clean even if over cooked.

2. Tusbamesan silicone kitchen tools ; high temp resist and most important, it will NOT stick and stretch any cookware.

6 hours ago, kayb said:

I have a pair of Misono knives I brought back from Tokyo 10 years ago. They're wonderful.

Nice to meet u here! I heard a lots of great comments regarding to Japanese knives... what is the difference with western knives? 

35 minutes ago, Tony Mak said:

Nice to meet u here! I heard a lots of great comments regarding to Japanese knives... what is the difference with western knives? 

Different kind of steel and different method of manufacture. Take a great edge, and hold it quite well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, AAQuesada said:

just as an aside my experience with Japanese Post is very good, whenever i've ordered knives from Japan they have  very quickly with out paying exorbitant prices to 'expedite' shipping 

Japan and the US plus a few other countries have a postal treaty that allows this to happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

just as an aside my experience with Japanese Post is very good, whenever i've ordered knives from Japan they have  very quickly with out paying exorbitant prices to 'expedite' shipping 

That’s great! Just wondering how much does it cost for the express shipping? 

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Japan and the US plus a few other countries have a postal treaty that allows this to happen.

Agree, it’s hard to find good and reliable shipping courier with a friendly price. 

42 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

It's been a while but i believe i used to pay 7$ for shipping from Japan. The public post is not expensive. Then it transfers to usps when it gets to the US 

$7 for short should be good enough in price, it deliver within 2 weeks ?

37 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

For me less than a week but i do live in LA so I'm not sure if it was faster because of that 

If you got it less than a week, I believe they should be sending it from the US warehouse.

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

No, Japanese post is very quick. It only slows down once it comes to the US. It's slower (and more expencive) for me to ship something from Korin than it is to ship it from Japan

OIC... therefore, shipping directly from Japan is more efficiency than US warehouse, right ?

3 hours ago, Elkyfr said:

I only bought a Japanese Tojiro knife on Amazon which was shipped to me from Japan.

That's great! How is it? Do you like it in terms of quality and price range ? Believe the shipping period should be quick for your case.

On 1/16/2021 at 7:03 PM, Tony Mak said:

Great! Hope can help you out!

The Inomata ice tray works well for me.  Compared to Kokubo, the Inomata seems made from a highly hydrophobic plastic.  Had I a choice I would have preferred the somewhat smaller cubes from Kokubo, but nothing I can't deal with.  Not like the crisis of 1973 in Kenya.  The tour operator radioed to base:  "Send ice trays!"  What arrived by truck, days later, were ashtrays.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Inomata ice tray works well for me.  Compared to Kokubo, the Inomata seems made from a highly hydrophobic plastic.  Had I a choice I would have preferred the somewhat smaller cubes from Kokubo, but nothing I can't deal with.  Not like the crisis of 1973 in Kenya.  The tour operator radioed to base:  "Send ice trays!"  What arrived by truck, days later, were ashtrays.

Glad to hear the Inmate ice tray works well for you. So the ice cubes from Kokubo is smaller than Inomata ? I couldn't tell the size different form the photos.

28 minutes ago, Tony Mak said:

Glad to hear the Inmate ice tray works well for you. So the ice cubes from Kokubo is smaller than Inomata ? I couldn't tell the size different form the photos.

Yes, Kokubo had two different sizes but both were smaller than the Inomata.

2 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

Opps, i didn't know that before suggesting Inomata to you.

Not at all a problem, thank you for suggesting Inomata.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...