• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions for anyone who bought Japanese cookware/kitchen gadgets in the USA

Tony Mak

Hi All, I am a new comers and big fans of Japanese cuisine and cookware ( it's simple, clean andnice ). Just wondering anyone who brought Japanese cookware / gadgets in USA... 

1. any places that i can learn more aboutJapan cookware and gadgets info and details for USA such as comments, durable...etc. ( local or online stores )

2. how's the quality of Japan cookware / gadgets in US ? 

3. Does it MADE IN JAPAN ? or somewhere else ? 

Thank you for your help and support!! 

9 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

@weinoo thank you for your sharing! I will visit the sites ASAP. Is it hard to find a quality Japan cookware in US ? 

It's not really hard in NYC.

I mean, I think Korin will have you very well covered as far as Japanese knives go, in all price ranges.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

It's not really hard in NYC.

I mean, I think Korin will have you very well covered as far as Japanese knives go, in all price ranges.

All in all, totally agree with you that Korin do well covered most of the items i need. Thanks a bunch! 

9 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Tony Mak, I'm happy with the quality, considering the price.

Here's the back of the plate (rectangular shape):

IMG_0810.thumb.jpeg.b0cb77b8929b3aa4f0cd311c85c59ca7.jpeg

It’s very nice ! How long does it take to delivery after purchased ? Due to pandemic issue, many stores takes long periods of time to deliver ....

7 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

How long does Korin to delivery usually ? within 2 weeks ?

Your guess is as good as mine here. Everything is screwed up.  

I will say that my order from the rice factory got here in one day!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Your guess is as good as mine here. Everything is screwed up.  

I will say that my order from the rice factory got here in one day!

That’s tremendously speed of delivery for your orders! With wide range in price.

13 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

It’s very nice ! How long does it take to delivery after purchased ? Due to pandemic issue, many stores takes long periods of time to deliver ....

@Tony Mak, not sure how long it takes now. You can email them, though. I had a couple of questions before I ordered & they were responsive.

Anyone know an online source for Kokubo mini ice trays in the US?  I found a store in Hawaii that has them for instore pickup but the logistics would be difficult, what with the virus and all.

Kokubo has an office in California, however they don't seem to be geared towards retail sales.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anyone know an online source for Kokubo mini ice trays in the US?  I found a store in Hawaii that has them for instore pickup but the logistics would be difficult, what with the virus and all.

Kokubo has an office in California, however they don't seem to be geared towards retail sales.

They seem to be available on eBay. Oops. I don’t think they shipped from the US. Sorry. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here's a 3-pack (eBay US), $14.45 + $18.00 shipping from Japan to U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pack-KOKUBO-84-Grids-Mini-Ice-Cube-Tray-Mold-with-Lid-made-in-Japan-Kitchen/253057849548?epid=1954325963&hash=item3aeb6c58cc:g:9hQAAOSwgDRZcvPT

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'd prefer a US dealer but eBay from Japan is worth thinking about.  Amazon sellers used to offer them, and I believe I've previously purchased Kokubo from umamimart.com.

The Kokubo trays themselves are durable, however their thin plastic lids eventually crack (considering almost daily use after several years).

By the way, umamimart is one of my favorite sources of Japanese bar and kitchen products.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Just wondering, do you have any particular size, shape that you looking for?

47 minutes ago, Tony Mak said:

Just wondering, do you have any particular size, shape that you looking for?

http://kokubousa.com/goods/kitchentime/tray/2099.html

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, I'd prefer a US dealer but eBay from Japan is worth thinking about.  Amazon sellers used to offer them, and I believe I've previously purchased Kokubo from umamimart.com.

The Kokubo trays themselves are durable, however their thin plastic lids eventually crack (considering almost daily use after several years).

By the way, umamimart is one of my favorite sources of Japanese bar and kitchen products.

Thank you for your sharing! Umamimart has a lot of Japan cookware. And believe it should be high quality and durable since they made in Japan.