• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Pizza on a Metal Plate/Baking Steel

weinoo

Used my baking steel for the first time today.  I made flammekuchen for lunch.  One thing I did learn is that if you want a crispy crust, don't bake it on foil.  I didn't have corn meal so used that.  We had the first two pieces and it became immediately apparent that i should have removed the foil perhaps a minute into baking once the dough had set so,i put the other two pieces went back in on the steel.All in all, I was happy with it.

20231117_142137.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Used my baking steel for the first time today.  I made flammekuchen for lunch.  One thing I did learn is that if you want a crispy crust, don't bake it on foil.  I didn't have corn meal so used that.  We had the first two pieces and it became immediately apparent that i should have removed the foil perhaps a minute into baking once the dough had set so,i put the other two pieces went back in on the steel.All in all, I was happy with it.

20231117_142137.jpg

Ooh, I definitely want some of that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

One thing I did learn is that if you want a crispy crust, don't bake it on foil.

Ditto the parchment suggestion.  You can pull it out from under the dough after a few seconds or leave it. I find it especially handy when I want to place multiple pieces of flatbread, etc. on the steel

• Thanks 1