• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Our pizza steel is 3/8 inch. Yes, it's heavy, but certainly isn't a problem with racks in the regular oven. The biggest hazard or irritant is that I often forget to remove it before heating up the oven for whatever gets baked next. Getting it out while hot is no picnic. Hint: remove the whole oven rack with the steel on it to the stove top. We've never used aluminum, so can't comment on it. Love the steel, though.

Why remove it?

The steel currently in my oven weighs close to 25 lbs...it's annoying enough removing it when cold.

I baked cookies on a cookie sheet on it yesterday, and the new One Tin Bakes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) book I just got suggests baking in the tin on a steel/brick/whatever.

So my top rack is on the 2nd highest level, and the steel stays on there permanently (I can hope).

IMG_3317.thumb.JPG.1819dba545631217cdc3d8de943c3662.JPG

Ignore the yellow Descoware; it's where I store it most of the time. You know, just in case I want to do a bread that way.

The nice thing about those top 2 shelves is that they are full extension, on glides. And they support (allegedly) 50 lbs.

weinoo

weinoo

Our pizza steel is 3/8 inch. Yes, it's heavy, but certainly isn't a problem with racks in the regular oven. The biggest hazard or irritant is that I often forget to remove it before heating up the oven for whatever gets baked next. Getting it out while hot is no picnic. Hint: remove the whole oven rack with the steel on it to the stove top. We've never used aluminum, so can't comment on it. Love the steel, though.

Why remove it?

The steel currently in my oven weighs close to 25 lbs...it's annoying enough removing it when cold.

I baked cookies on a cookie sheet on it yesterday, and the new One Tin Bakes book I just got suggests baking in the tin on a steel/brick/whatever.

So my top rack is on the 2nd highest level, and the steel stays on there permanently (I can hope).

Ignore the yellow Descoware; it's where I store it most of the time. You know, just in case I want to do a bread that way.

The nice thing about those top 2 shelves is that they are full extension, on glides. And they support (allegedly) 50 lbs.

weinoo

weinoo

Why remove it?

I baked cookies on a cookie sheet on it yesterday, and the new One Tin Bakes book I just got suggests baking in the tin on a steel/brick/whatever.