• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child Bakes a Cake - While Singing Opera

weinoo

An online, digital fundraiser (as if there's any other kind these days):

A digital fundraiser featuring Lee Hoiby's delightful BON APPÉTIT! This charming opera, included as part of Opera Philadelphia's digital fundraiser, showcases the beloved Julia Child and is adapted directly from one of her classic television broadcasts during which she bakes a chocolate cake. Opera Philadelphia has partnered with Houston Grand Opera to bring you a new production of this piece starring acclaimed mezzo-soprano Jamie Barton. Donations to Opera Philadelphia can be made at operaphila.org/cake

Julia starts around 10:30: (Jamie Barton is fab).

https://www.operaphila.tv/bon-appetit/videos/bon-appetit

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

There was a local production of this with (iirc) Julia's niece performing the part, it was really charming and fun.  I had the gig of making chocolate cake to serve to the audience after the show.

So cool!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?