• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brava

MetsFan5

So my calming non medical concept is watching AWE which is a “wealth network”. 99.9% of the time I am thanksgiving I am home. But this channel is my crack. 

they endlessly show commercials for this Brava cooking “system”. It uses light. It’s a grand. I can’t fathom how it works properly. 

15 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

So my calming non medical concept is watching AWE which is a “wealth network”. 99.9% of the time I am thanksgiving I am home. But this channel is my crack. 

they endlessly show commercials for this Brava cooking “system”. It uses light. It’s a grand. I can’t fathom how it works properly. 

Is this what you were talking about?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting.  Is @Jason Perlow still a PC Mag editor?  Perhaps he can report back.  (They still owe me for my subscription dollars.)  Or maybe @MetsFan5 will take one for the team!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It seems small and constrained by cook zones. According to "how-to" videos I watched the temp sensor is really fragile. Won't bake bread or roast a chicken. Door appears flimsy, watching videos I kept thinking of the "Easy Bake Oven", it uses light as well 👅

The concept and theory is good, but limited by practical restrictions and considerations. I doubt many of us will be adopters.

Edited by palo (log)

what a wildly overpriced toaster oven. as mentioned cooking with a combination of visible/ir light isn’t exactly new, nor is a toaster oven that instantly heats up. it does sound like they’ve built a nice one that incorporates a few interesting features  like this zone business (related i assume to just turning individual bulbs on and off over food). i do wonder what they mean by tuning the wavelengths though. 

in addition to being $$$$ they try to sell you on a monthly membership to get recipes and save settings, as well as a hilariously overpriced meal kit ($50 for a two-person single meal???) on top of the $1000 buy-in. the site also mentions needing to log into the oven on first use with an account that is made for you when you order. is it possible to use without this? what happens when the website eventually inevitably goes down?

i can’t for the life of me imagine why you’d buy one of these over an apo. 

Edited by jimb0 (log)

16 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Years ago GE had a combo microwave and halogen oven. If I remember right it was called the Advantium. It worked very well, even with just the light, but was super expensive. 

Looks like GE still makes the Advantium but they have added many models.  They are all built-in appliances - either built-in ovens or over-the-stove fan units.  They have also added a conventional (ceramic) heating element to the halogen light.  And the cost for an over-the-range unit (which was the only one they offered when I sold them) seems to have dropped considerably.  I recall they were $2495 and now they are $1299, but I could be mis-remembering the price.  

Miele, Bosch and few more also make these so-called "speed ovens" as well.  

I remember doing baked potatoes in about 10 minutes on the speed setting - perfectly cooked but with nice crispy skin.  Speed cooking combines the microwave with conventional heating.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs