• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jimb0

jimb0

what a wildly overpriced toaster oven. as mentioned cooking with a combination of visible/ir light isn’t exactly new, nor is a toaster oven that instantly heats up. it does sound like they’ve built a nice one that incorporates a few interesting features  like this zone business (related i assume to just turning individual bulbs on and off over food). i do wonder what they mean by tuning the wavelengths though. 

in addition to being $$$$ they try to sell you on a monthly membership to get recipes and save settings, as well as a hilariously overpriced meal kit ($50 for a two-person single meal???) on top of the $1000 buy-in. the site also mentions needing to log into the oven on first use with an account that is made for you when you order. is it possible to use without this? what happens when the website eventually inevitably goes down?

i can’t for the life of me imagine why you’d buy one of these over an apo. 

jimb0

jimb0

what a wildly overpriced toaster oven. as mentioned cooking with a combination of visible/ir light isn’t exactly new, nor is a toaster oven that instantly heats up. it does sound like they’ve built a nice one that incorporates a few interesting features  like this zone business (related i assume to just turning individual bulbs on and off over food). i do wonder what they mean by tuning the wavelengths though. 

in addition to being $$$$ they try to sell you on a monthly membership to get recipes and save settings, as well as a hilariously overpriced meal kit ($50 for a two-person single meal???) on top of the $1000 buy-in. 

i can’t for the life of me imagine why you’d buy one of these over an apo.