• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canning Caramel for gift baskets

amyneill

Hi all! I just wanted to pop in here and see if anyone had some advice on canning/jarring caramel sauce for ready-to-eat consumption. The ice cream shop I work at is putting together gift baskets for valentine's day and we wanted to toss in some caramel and fudge jars in to add some tasty treats. We have a recipe that works great in the shop in our squeeze bottles for topping the ice cream, however I don't have a ton of experience with the canning process to make it shelf stable and shippable. I've canned tomato sauce and salsa in the past, but my method wouldn't be efficient for canning hundreds of jars for consumption. What is your method for success? Does it all hinge on the sealing process, and if so what are your favorite (cost efficient) products? Do you know of a jar that is self sealing or more durable than others?

Thanks for any suggestions! 

You'd really want to check with your local dept of agriculture for protocol on canning low-acid foods to be shelf-stable, you don't want to mess with botulism.

That said, a local company swore to me that they simply pack their caramel sauce into jars while hot.  Maybe if it is above the 280F ultra-pasteurization temp and high enough sugar, it's fine? 

Since time is limited, can you do them as refrigerated products?  Then all you need is appropriate labeling with ingredients & allergens.

This is SO outside my range of expertise but:

1. Sugar is generally a preservative. Thus many jellies and jams do not even call for water-bath processing, but simply canning hot product in hot jars with hot lids, and depending on natural cooling to seal. Would this work?

2. If not, I see no reason you couldn't fill and cap half-pint jars and process them in a water bath for 15 minutes. That should make them shelf stable.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The general rule for being safe when doing simple canning is to be over a certain % of sugar content and below a certain pH. If one of these conditions (or both) does not apply, then things get complicated.

Besides that, each place has its own different rules.

As @pastrygirl wrote, the best thing you can do is asking to the local authorities, they are the ones with the better knowledge on what you can do and what you can't. They are not there to harass you, they are there to help you. And they are required to help you, since they are paid with your taxes.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

How many baskets are you projecting to sell?  You don't really know when your customers are going to consume the products so something already shelf-stable might be safer.  Consider asking your distributor if they have Peter's caramel blocks or something else that you can safely use while you figure out the canning issue.  This way you have no concerns about stuff that is going out the door now, but you have a plan for future holidays (Easter? Mother's Day?)

Edited to add: in some of the canning forums I am in, there's been a lot of chatter regarding the shortage of lids last fall and the  shortage of some jars so perhaps sourcing the jars at the same time you are getting data about how to do it safely is a good idea too!

Edited by JeanneCake
jar shortages (log)
  • Like 2

i wouldn't have a problem doing this privately for home use in a pressure canner. i honestly think it'd be pretty safe if you processed it for long enough; a lot of the rules about what's "not allowed" aren't at all because they're unsafe as much as because there hasn't been sufficient and legitimate testing done on it.  with that said, i don't think i'd take a risk on a professionally sold product without explicit approval and i'm betting (though i'd love to be wrong) that your local authorities aren't going to allow it.

i like @pastrygirl's idea about just selling it as a refrigerated product. consumers have experience with this sort of thing anyway and i don't think anyone would bat an eye, to be honest. you could also investigate cooking the caramel and adding a preservative to it. less label friendly, perhaps, but i'm skeptical it's something most people are going to care about.

Edited by jimb0 (log)

• Similar Content

• By Tropicalsenior
      In another thread, one of our members @scott123 said that he is looking for a Chinese pickle jar. Similar to this:

Or this:

Since we have a lot of members in the New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia area, I thought someone might be able to help him out.
      My little Chinese restaurant supply has a whole range of different types and sizes but unless he is planning to take a vacation to Costa Rica soon, that doesn't help a bit.
    • By TdeV
      Pork Belly which is vacuum sealed and was sous-vide-d for 48 hours. It's been sitting in the fridge for a few months, not in the meat drawer (which is close to freezing).

I was thinking of putting it (still wrapped) in the Anova Oven at sv temperatures to get warm, and then opening the bag.

If it still smells okay, can we eat it?
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By cc.canuck
      I'm relatively new to chocolate making but now that I've finally got the hang of tempering (by hand using the seeding method) I'd like to work on incorporating less air during the process.

I mainly make bars at the moment so I can tap out air bubbles after filling but I want to start making dipped biscuits and that's not going to work! I've watched oh so many videos of people stirring their chocolate while tempering and can't pick up any nuances that make their process different to mine, though they clearly have significantly less air in their mixture.

Any ideas how I could fix this problem or should I consider incorporating air bubbles into my biscuit design?
    • By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy