• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchasing Ganache and Caramel Ruler Bars

no10

Hello eGForums,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased these ganache and caramel ruler bars (https://www.tcfsales.com/products/658-ganache-and-caramel-ruler-bars-set-of-2-ea/) from TCF before or has experience with this company? Are they a reputable company?

It costs $87.96 (not including shipping) to purchase 4 stainless steel square bars, measuring 1/2" x 1/2" x 15" L, which seems like a reasonable price relative to other companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone suggest other companies to purchase bars from?

On a related topic, I know that a possibly more affordable alternative would be to visit a local metal fabricator and purchase metal bars from them. My concern is purchasing bars that are made from an alloy and finish that is 'food-safe'. Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of stainless steel is 'food-safe'? Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of aluminum is 'food-safe'?

Edited by no10 (log)

I believe that 304 stainless is the basic food safe grade. 304 stainless is what my EZtemper is made from so it's NSF approved.  Also 316 (more expensive) and I believe 420 might be for cutlery.

Remember to get them to polish the ends if you go to the metal supermarket - and take chocolate when you go for the chocolate discount. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Quite a few of us met the owner of TCF; he joined us at one of our eGullet chocolate workshops in Vegas. I have also purchased guitar wire from TCF. Got exactly what I ordered and it was shipped quickly.

I’ll second Kerry’s recommendation of getting the ends of your metal bars polished if you go the metal bar route.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, curls said:

Quite a few of us met the owner of TCF; he joined us at one of our eGullet chocolate workshops in Vegas. I have also purchased guitar wire from TCF. Got exactly what I ordered and it was shipped quickly.

I’ll second Kerry’s recommendation of getting the ends of your metal bars polished if you go the metal bar route.

Thanks for the information, @curls. What?! This forum hosts chocolate workshops?

2 minutes ago, no10 said:

Thanks for the information, @curls. What?! This forum hosts chocolate workshops?

Until Covid put the kibosh on it. 

Click.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, no10 said:

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Until Covid put the kibosh on it. 

Click.

And to add to Anna's post, a list of links for all the workshops 2009 - 2020

Reports

·         2020 workshop Buffalo, New York, USA – postponed due to COVID-19

·         2019 workshop St. Louis, Missouri, USA

·         2018 workshop Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2017 workshop Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

·         2016 workshop Toronto, Ontario, Canada

·         2015 workshop Merrifield, Virginia, USA

·         2014 workshop Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

·         2013 workshop Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2012 workshop Woodbridge, Virginia, USA

·         2011 workshop Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2010 workshop Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA

·         2009 workshop Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Planning

·         2020 workshop planning Buffalo, New York, USA – postponed due to COVID-19

·         2019 workshop planning St. Louis, Missouri, USA

·         2018 workshop planning Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2017 workshop planning Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

·         2016 workshop planning Toronto, Ontario, Canada

·         2015 workshop planning Merrifield, Virginia, USA

·         2014 workshop planning Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

·         2013 workshop planning Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2012 workshop planning Woodbridge, Virginia, USA

·         2011 workshop planning Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

·         2010 workshop planning Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA

·         2009 workshop planning Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Host's note: this index has been pinned near the top of the Pastry & Baking forum, for future reference and upkeep. You may find it here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1