• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine from Burgundy: Is there anything it can't do?

A gang of wine thieves turned to the closest thing at hand when they discovered French gendarmes in hot pursuit of their van.

The burglars, who were making off with an estimated €350,000 (£317,000) worth of grands crus Burgundy wines, began hurling their loot at officers as they sped down the motorway at high speed.

Full story in The Guardian

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

• Similar Content

• By Susie Q
      When cleaning out my Dad's house I found this bottle of Mexican "Alcohol Puro de Caña" in the back of the linen closet. I remember this always being there since  I was a young kid in the 70s. 

He said this was a gift, he didn't say when, someone gave it to him but he wasn't a drinker of alcohol and in the closet it went.  

It has never been opened and the level it's at is due to the angels I suspect. The lid was and remains tight. The alcohol is crystal clear with no sediment.

I don't have the heart to open it. I like keeping it as is but....

Does anyone have any information on it?

Edited to add: I'm so sorry! I didn't see that I put this in the wine forum. If someone can move it to the spirits forum I sure would appreciate it. Thank you.

• By daniel73
      Hi, I'm looking for books / pdfs from WSET 2 and 3 in Wine and also in Spirits
    • By Alex
      From the Chicago Tribune:

The announcement came 

Here's a follow-up NYT article.
    • By Damon
      Wine Digestif / Apéritif

1 cup of water 
      3-6 tablespoons of honey
      1 cinnamon stick
      7-10 pepper granules (red and black)
      3-4 leafs of Pelargonium graveolens
      ~ 1 liter of wine. 

Boil the water for 5 minutes with cinnamon stick and pepper granules. 
      Add the leafs of Pelargonium and furthered away the cooking pot from heat source. 
      Wait until the water is cool enough to add the honey (max 60°C). Stir it well to make a sirup.
      Mix the sirup with the wine.
    • By Smokeydoke
      I'm amazed at the prices of Kirkland brand alcohol. I was wondering if the quality was just as good or better than a popular competitor? Lets put our collective experiences together and reviews Kirkland brand wines and spirits.

Type of alcohol, size, price and location will all be helpful. If you can compare with a leading competitor, that'd be great too.