• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Gator

weinoo

After breaking my millionth glass carafe, I was alerted to a newish product, the Coffee Gator.

Yes, it's still breakable, and I don't give it a chance of much longevity in my kitchen. But I'd heard good things from a respected coffee person, so I figured I'd give it a try. And since I always want free shipping, it forced me to buy...

IMG_3239.thumb.jpeg.2a0957d775f8a3107c8730b23a1a532a.jpeg

A large one AND a small one. Since I make myself a cup before Significant Eater awakens, the small one can come in handy.

It makes a really nice cup!  Not prefectly clean like a paper filter, and certainly not French Press what I call "muddy." But in between, with more body than paper filter. I'd never had any luck with metal filters, but these seem to really do the trick...so far, so good.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The flask reminds me of a microwave glass MW corn popper I had. I think the glass was advertised as borosilicate-  laboratory glass. I did manage to break it but that was on me - dropped from upper cabinet onto terrazzo floor. It is aesthetically pleasing too.

On 1/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, weinoo said:

After breaking my millionth glass carafe, I was alerted to a newish product, the Coffee Gator.

Yes, it's still breakable, and I don't give it a chance of much longevity in my kitchen. But I'd heard good things from a respected coffee person, so I figured I'd give it a try. And since I always want free shipping, it forced me to buy...

IMG_3239.thumb.jpeg.2a0957d775f8a3107c8730b23a1a532a.jpeg

A large one AND a small one. Since I make myself a cup before Significant Eater awakens, the small one can come in handy.

It makes a really nice cup!  Not prefectly clean like a paper filter, and certainly not French Press what I call "muddy." But in between, with more body than paper filter. I'd never had any luck with metal filters, but these seem to really do the trick...so far, so good.

They look very appealing. Coffee Gator's philosophy seems to be to make a cup of coffee good enough to keep consumers buying the product again and again despite the rate of breakage. The reviews are hilarious. 

I've wasted lots of change on metal filters. I had a fantastic gold one that was a very fine mesh resulting in a slow drip.  It tore after years of heavy use. They stopped making that model and all subsequent purchases were a disappointment; the water drained through too fast.

I'm not sure I see the advantage of the smallest size glass beaker. Wouldn't it be easier to just style the mini size to fit over an 8 oz cup like that traditional melitta cone? No breakage. 

48 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just style the mini size to fit over an 8 oz cup like that traditional melitta cone? No breakage. 

I think it's all about being proprietary. And in that case, why not the larger one as well?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?