• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

These days you can get amazing coffee through the mail from dozens of roasters. The problem is you have to add shipping to the already high cost of the beans. I'm not talking $200/lb, but $30/lb is becoming norma. This isn't something I can live with for a daily brew. It's good for the occasional gift or splurge though. I'm curious to see prices from some of the shops mentioned upthread. 

Free shipping from Howell kicks in at $50. I always buy 2 or 3 bags at a time, easily getting to free shipping, and they last about 10 - 14 days. They still have some coffees at $20/lb., but fewer and fewer. And of course some coffees (their specialty roasts) can be ridiculous.

I finally got to try your favorite shop, but I really wasn't impressed with the beans on offer, at least the ones displayed. They all had roast dates which were more than 7 days prior; in one or two cases, way more. I  bought one bag.  I did like the espresso that the barista pulled for me. And the bathroom is nice.

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

These days you can get amazing coffee through the mail from dozens of roasters. The problem is you have to add shipping to the already high cost of the beans. I'm not talking $200/lb, but $30/lb is becoming norma. This isn't something I can live with for a daily brew. It's good for the occasional gift or splurge though. I'm curious to see prices from some of the shops mentioned upthread. 

Free shipping from Howell kicks in at $50. I always buy 2 or 3 bags at a time, easily getting to free shipping, and they last about 10 - 14 days. They still have some coffees at $20/lb., but fewer and fewer. And of course some coffees (their specialty roasts) can be ridiculous.

I finally got to try your favorite shop, but I really wasn't impressed with the beans on offer, at least the ones displayed. They all had roast dates which were more than 7 days prior, in one or two cases, way more. I  bought one bag.  I did like the espresso that the barista pulled for me. And the bathroom is nice.