• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Portuguese Custard Tarts.

You are torturing me. They look just fabulous. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ha Looks like we were on the same frame of mind today. Your tarts look fabulous. I just used frozen unsweetened tart shells from the Chinese grocery store. They are nice and flaky and saved me stress.

Nearly burned my tongue off as I couldn't wait for that first bite.🤪

935316354_CustardTarts3255.jpg.0effed8a8d6956f2afb750f9598006f3.jpg

1328292338_TartBite3261.jpg.e854263273c4ac14a70c41c148761263.jpg

We each had one after our dim sum lunch. The har gow, xiao long baos, and nor mai joon were also bought from the Chinese grocery store. It's a little shop and when the owner (a distant relative) brings in special items, she texts me!

912513683_DimSum3244.jpg.795ed7a0d0677292626a4694bd248892.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've never had savoury tang yuan; only the sweet ones served as a dessert, which to be honest I don't really like. What's in the savoury variety?

I am not a fan of the sweet tang yuen, which is traditionally served to the family at the end of the 15 day festivities.

The savoury variety is served on New Years eve in my family.

The broth is usually made with pork. The additions are lap cheong or sliced pork, re-hydrated dried shrimp, shredded daikon (my favourite part).

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

14 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Ha Looks like we were on the same frame of mind today. Your tarts look fabulous. I just used frozen unsweetened tart shells from the Chinese grocery store. They are nice and flaky and saved me stress.

Nearly burned my tongue off as I couldn't wait for that first bite.🤪

935316354_CustardTarts3255.jpg.0effed8a8d6956f2afb750f9598006f3.jpg

1328292338_TartBite3261.jpg.e854263273c4ac14a70c41c148761263.jpg

We each had one after our dim sum lunch. The har gow, xiao long baos, and nor mai joon were also bought from the Chinese grocery store. It's a little shop and when the owner (a distant relative) brings in special items, she texts me!

912513683_DimSum3244.jpg.795ed7a0d0677292626a4694bd248892.jpg

how does the har gow travel? Id imagine it would get really gummy

48 minutes ago, KennethT said:

how does the har gow travel?

First class or business, only 🙃

I must say that going to a loud, massively crowded Chinese restaurant, sitting at a big table and happily shout-talking with friends for hours while we drink tea and share plates of dim sum is something I'd love to be able to do again one day!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

how does the har gow travel? Id imagine it would get really gummy

Not sure what you mean by "gummy". I've never had that problem even with freshly made ones, taken to friends' home then steamed.
These were straight from the freezer into the steamer.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, Dejah said:

Not sure what you mean by "gummy". I've never had that problem even with freshly made ones, taken to friends' home then steamed.
These were straight from the freezer into the steamer.

ok. I didn't understand. I thought they were already steamed by the time you got them

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I must say that going to a loud, massively crowded Chinese restaurant, sitting at a big table and happily shout-talking with friends for hours while we drink tea and share plates of dim sum is something I'd love to be able to do again one day!

We talk about this a lot.  Jessica decided to postpone her birthday celebration meal until we can go up to her favorite dim sum place in MD.  Not sure when that will be, but we miss that especially.

@Raamo – what a beautiful meal and a great concept.  We would love that. 

Mr. Kim ended up having to be in his office for a couple of hours on Sunday (luckily for a video conference – so, empty floor) and picked up lunch for us at a favorite place, Salt & Forge.  We shared the Posto and the Havana.  Il Posto:

IMG_5040.jpg.0a5755494235534f9e7e324d0956789d.jpg

Soppressata, capicola, mortadella, country ham, fresh mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, arugula, red wine vinaigrette, on a baguette.  That’s their potato-bacon salad behind the sandwich. 

La Havana:

IMG_5041.thumb.jpg.dc04108031586398b52e3bbcc436e569.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg.6c6b1010ab4eea775dff62040d4e7012.jpg

Slow-roasted pork, country ham, Gruyère, pickles, yellow mustard on a brioche bun.

Today, I used the last two of @blue_dolphin's drop scones to make egg and Edward’s country ham sandwiches.  I split them and toasted:

IMG_5076.thumb.jpg.1f50582818ca48c9ac7147172dabe417.jpg

Added thin sliced country ham and a ring-cooked egg:

IMG_5077.jpg.a001231ab676aada73201733da6c7462.jpg

And served:

IMG_5078.thumb.jpg.b95988da28374b7fc12b31e6c8f25815.jpg

These scones have proved very popular around here. And all my FB friends are intrigued.   Thank you, @blue_dolphin!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Corzetti with Red Bell Pepper Crema from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta

A while back, I watched a Pasta Grannies episode about corzetti and the traditional hand-carved presses that had me dreaming of a trip to Italy to shop for one.

Since that's not happening anytime soon, I made do with some glassware to press designs into the pasta disks.

IMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.e30972b15cf1b34cc9d6c6a8b4070208.jpeg

A pine nut and fresh marjoram or oregano sauce is traditional but I'm lacking fresh marjoram so I went with the sauce in the book I used for the pasta recipe.  

It's extremely simple - you just roast red bell peppers, peel, deseed and purée them with olive oil and sherry vinegar. The specified cheese is fior di capra, an Italian mold-ripened goat cheese which is to be shaved over the dish. I have Humbolt Fog which is a mold-ripened goat cheese but too soft to shave so I went with Rogue Creamery's Enraptured Blanc which is from cow's milk but has some mold going on 😮

IMG_3575.thumb.jpeg.c1882d76abe11b95223619a3a43a6eee.jpeg

Not pictured, I steamed some broccoli and tossed that with my plate of pasta and I liked the combination.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Since that's not happening anytime soon, I made do with some glassware to press designs into the pasta disks.

Nothing but admiration for your ingenuity! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/16/2021 at 12:48 PM, Kim Shook said:

We talk about this a lot.  Jessica decided to postpone her birthday celebration meal until we can go up to her favorite dim sum place in MD.  Not sure when that will be, but we miss that especially

The best dim sum experience (outside of China) we had was in Boston when we visited our daughter. Walked into the restaurant, and I was transported back to China - the combination of the servers calling out their dishes, the clinking of chopsticks and tea cups, and the chatter - in Cantonese and my village dialect - Toisanese. It was amazing as we hear mainly Mandarin now with the influx of new immigrants.

All your sandwiches look amazing, Kim!😋

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I drove up to my parents home to pick up my little one, who stayed there for one week vacation (home schooling be praised). It is a leisurely 300 km drive and you might be aware that there is no general speed limit on German highways, so the travel time is practically up to you. I arrived 30 min early.

Which gave me the opportunity to visit my favorite Döner shop in the nearby city ... unfortunately, due to Corona you can’t eat neither there nor on the street (masks have to be worn at all times in the city center). So I sat in my car, stopping at the side of the road, hazard warning lights on and ate that lovely spicy Döner like an animal. Still, soooooo good !

D376A2E8-469B-472B-BAD7-5BB8A425F4B5.thumb.jpeg.11347256360de1b506e700bb55997c97.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Rockfish, roasted acorn squash, avocado/green olives/parsley/lime juice sauce or salsa, not sure what to call it.

6D2EE772-2A91-431F-A76E-CD9BE6312DA1.thumb.jpeg.9d3d7aa90ffcd0a72b1c39b3b8c0fef1.jpeg

Nice piece of fish. Salsa = sauce in Spanish so go wild ;)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Lunches this week only needed opening packages and tins.

uUnqqAj.jpg

L7uBd4i.jpg

0o0mg7d.jpg

D74yKBD.jpg

C6cA5Qg.jpg

A year ago in Mexico: curious whale approached me whilst holding intense eye contact. Who's watching whom now? This is what a whale sees underwater.

Maybe only opened tins but you also have access to lovely breads!  My buddy Martin used to lead whale watching tours here and he swears they look at you and they "know" you. Ancient knowledge. During migration season the nuns let us out of class to go to telescopes on cliffside and watch.  

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin – aren’t you the clever girl?

Saturday:

IMG_5101.jpg.cd393fc15abc04d913e99020202fb040.jpg

Ham and Swiss on grocery store rye.

We we were out grocery shopping on Sunday and stopped at a nearby pizza/sandwich place for take out.  I think we may have found our new Slice-for-each-of-us-and-share-a-sandwich place.  We’ll have to try out their meatball subs and cheese steaks to make sure, though.  I had a chicken hoagie:

IMG_5114.thumb.jpg.d413fdbdffa29ec84ee4a408b7c9e758.jpg

Mr. Kim had a slice:

IMG_5115.thumb.jpg.213cdab711f46c8cccb80605b4a9e10b.jpg

Today:

IMG_5132.jpg.b53734b3d870d194a8de51b1532eeee8.jpg

Redneck nachos – chips, canned chili, and Velveeta.  Heated in the microwave. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Pineapple in Chinese fried rice?

While the pineapple presentation is quite attractive I am much more interested in the contents of the jade green casserole dish. It looks quite interesting. 

My 2004 eG Blog