• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin – is that TJ shrimp burger as good as it looks?  I may need to look for that.  Shrimp burgers are a favorite here.

@BeeZee – Mr. Kim has been eating the lentil soup I made last Friday for lunches all week.  I’m betting our recipes are very similar.  The one that I made can be vegetarian (veg stock instead of chicken) and also uses tomato paste.  Have you ever tried freezing it?  It seems like it would freeze well and make a quick meal.

So much good stuff.  I’m not much of a lunch eater.  Or maybe I am, but I eat mostly breakfast stuff as my first meal of the day and that’s at lunch time.  Whatever!  I enjoy looking at your pictures and reading your descriptions so much even if I don’t contribute much.  Or if my contribution is, as below and often, something prepared that I bought. 

Lunch was all nostalgia on Monday.  I found Stouffer’s Welsh Rarebit at Kroger.  We had some sourdough:

IMG_4735.jpg.8e74ca0689e7ceaf95a2e09e7516ab24.jpg

It was as good as ever.  I don’t remember the last time I saw this in the store.  They may be pushing their old product lines – I saw spinach souffle, too.  If my father  lived close, I’d get him a few boxes! They were a big favorite of his.  No luck on finding their creamed chicken which was my stepmom’s favorite – I don’t think they make it anymore. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook, it's a stupid simple recipe and I actually made it with a can of cooked lentils that had been languishing for a long time. I will definitely repeat it and I agree that it would freeze well. I think some fennel would be nice to add to the vegetables (I probably doubled the amt of carrot and celery, I like them).

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – is that TJ shrimp burger as good as it looks?  I may need to look for that.  Shrimp burgers are a favorite here.

I like them.  They are not huge burgers.  I think they're 3 oz each.  They have some decent-sized pieces of shrimp in the mix (TJ's website says they are mixed with 23% pollock) so the texture is nice.  They are individually wrapped, 4/box @ $6.99, I think, so not the cheapest thing - even more than certain loaves of bread 🙃

I've been pan-frying them with a little oil, directly from frozen for ~ 4 min/side, and I cover the pan, which seems to help the middle cook through without drying out the exterior.  

Do post if you try them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think they're 3 oz each.  They have some decent-sized pieces of shrimp in the mix (TJ's website says they are mixed with 23% pollock) so the texture is nice.

I have only encountered “ebi furai” burger while living in Japan, and those patties were basically panko-breaded shrimp glued together. 

This one is like chikuwa - mashed fish, shrimp, cornstarch - with distinct pieces of shrimp sticking out ? No breading ? 

I think I like the idea. Will not be able to source that here, but I could use my chikuwa recipe and tweak it ...

18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

This one is like chikuwa - mashed fish, shrimp, cornstarch - with distinct pieces of shrimp sticking out ? No breading ? 

That's right, no breading. Ingredients, from the TJ's website, are: 70% Pacific White Shrimp and 23% wild-caught Pollock, held together with rice flour and sunflower oil. They are seasoned with garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. 

So they use rice flour instead of cornstarch but otherwise the same idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's right, no breading. Ingredients, from the TJ's website, are: 70% Pacific White Shrimp and 23% wild-caught Pollock, held together with rice flour and sunflower oil. They are seasoned with garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. 

So they use rice flour instead of cornstarch but otherwise the same idea. 

Thanks, easy enough. I’ll give it try !

• Like 1

A couple of lunches as I am still nursing my sore jaw.

Moroccan Spiced Butternut Squash Soup. Have some left over and found it works great as a dip for al dente steamed vegetables (cauliflower and broccoli)

2022979508_MoeoccanButternutSquashsoup3010.jpg.c5769fa17b9db70bc2d9d68c00d26af7.jpg

Boston Clam Chowder: would love oyster crackers with the chowder but available only via amazon.ca, and it's $33.70 for 9 ounces! Saltines it is!

1004509654_BostonClamChowder3021.jpg.5e625a26650608dfbf92be7d8db373fa.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 1/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Dejah said:

A couple of lunches as I am still nursing my sore jaw.

Moroccan Spiced Butternut Squash Soup. Have some left over and found it works great as a dip for al dente steamed vegetables (cauliflower and broccoli)

2022979508_MoeoccanButternutSquashsoup3010.jpg.c5769fa17b9db70bc2d9d68c00d26af7.jpg

Boston Clam Chowder: would love oyster crackers with the chowder but available only via amazon.ca, and it's $33.70 for 9 ounces! Saltines it is!

1004509654_BostonClamChowder3021.jpg.5e625a26650608dfbf92be7d8db373fa.jpg

That is utterly insane.  In the US Amazon has TWELVE 9-oz. bags for $29.82!

• Sad 1

Italian cheese.

xETPes6.jpg

Cow's milk and not stinky.

paFzBtZ.jpg

Korean-style roe stew with spicy ssamjang and kimchi

39PioZu.jpg

Hokkaido scallops

KIgCzFQ.jpg

i8NSNAb.jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, heidih said:

Curious on the mushroom & chestnut spread - is there a liquid or fat involved for spreadability?

Just mushrooms and chestnuts. Soaked in hot water (separately). I added mushroom water gradually to test for desired consistency.

Add other savoury ingredients to make a vegetarian "pâté".

On 1/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, MokaPot said:

Looks really good. Is that kabocha pumpkin squash?

The squash I used for flans: first one from left

KS0dUoo.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@robirdstx – Your nachos remind me of @Shelby’s French fries – not enough. 😄

Sunday lunch after making and delivering lunches to some city homeless shelters was at a fairly new soul food place that we’ve eaten at one other time called Ms. Girliees Kitchen.  I forgot I’d gotten the Crab Delights before and got them again:

IMG_4773.jpg.0eabe9d2d9a3cac7b4b9b6978a71d279.jpg

IMG_4789.thumb.JPG.7c2e0a9a85172757ccd664c3e84810e1.JPG

They are delicious, but I wish I’d remembered because I really want to try their shrimp stuffed hushpuppies!

They were out of meatloaf last time, so I got it this time:

IMG_4775.thumb.jpg.104701492dfc53ae893bfdc6533e4a9e.jpg

It was delicious, and like Frank (the owner) promised me – no peppers or mushrooms!  Served with wonderful mac and cheese, cornbread, and yams:

IMG_4778.jpg.7d86279810fcc7e8dc09df9b7b92adc5.jpg

I didn’t even eat half of this on Sunday and heated up the rest on Bake/Steam in the CSO today for lunch it was excellent.  Good soul/country food should always make good leftovers. 

Mr. Kim got the steak and cheese with house made mayo, grilled onions, and their special sauce:

IMG_4776.jpg.0a689355cb1b3aea8234eb7d79be31c8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

9EDCA0C0-C974-4CF7-A89E-12F9513E2043.thumb.jpeg.bb81a8b77a574aa21a6a91aaa1ba1d7d.jpeg

leftover pie. half a batch of laminated dough in the fridge, a bowl of extra mornay from some lasagna last week, some maitakes on the verge, a few green onions found in the back of the crisper.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Lunch yesterday:

Bologna rolls, chips, and a mandarin orange congealed salad from a local store. 

That "salad" had me wondering. Somehow I find the word Jello more appealing than congealed. How the mind influences our tastes :) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

That "salad" had me wondering. Somehow I find the word Jello more appealing than congealed. How the mind influences our tastes :) 

I don't even think about it. Growing up spending all my summers in small town NC, "congealed" is what I've always heard.  😄

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

They were on sale, so I got the strawberry/cream one, too!  The cream layer is sweetened sour cream:

IMG_4820.jpg.8ba3d87e44428e4e9cc1e557a3c9ff51.jpg

Revered across the South.  😁

Looks like something that would eat your lunch. Or a set of gums and teeth packed for a transplant.

• Haha 1

Knee deep in house moving day, so no cooking. Where's the wok? Packed. So delivery lunch.

Actually not too bad. Stir fried beef with pickled baby bamboo shoots. Nicely spiced. Rice and a negligible soup.

205149535_20210122_1230071.thumb.jpg.ef882476f67575137efbab533778ed8c.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Rice cake (Lundberg's, the only kind that actually have some flavor other than styrofoam) spread with thin layer of raspberry preserves and topped with labneh - very enjoyable (to me) mix of sweet and tangy. Probably would be good on a graham cracker for a cheesecake vibe. I really enjoyed the container of labneh I purchased at TJ's, but with it having a short shelf life (4 days after opening) and the fact that I'm the only one eating it...not sure if I will buy it often. I don't like feeling obligated to eat something 4 days in a row.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde