• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

Soft Tofu with silky egg sauce

5 teaspoons salt, 5 teaspoons pepper, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce?  Surely this is a mistake. I do not see anywhere in the recipe where all of this is used. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

5 teaspoons salt, 5 teaspoons pepper, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce?  Surely this is a mistake. I do not see anywhere in the recipe where all of this is used. 

yes it is a mistake. 1/2 teas white pepper, 2.5 teas soy sauce- 1.5 teas used when sauteing the mushroom and 1 teas once stock is added, 1 teas salt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lunch by Pol Roger at the Cherwell Boathouse in Oxford. 

1. Heritage tomato salad with parma ham and croutons
  2. Rack of lamb, fine beans, caramelised onion purée and confit potatoes (similar to those from QCH)
  3. Poached Peaches, peach sorbet, pistachio and sponge

IMG_1361.thumb.jpeg.df8f9e139762c8b2cf787496a0d560c9.jpeg

IMG_1363.thumb.jpeg.ce0f311143cc61e1bab845b0995d850e.jpeg

IMG_1365.thumb.jpeg.fcc90556a9e52ef2a60350cd289d70be.jpeg

And all the wines served blind as per the tradition in out wine club. The Ridge, the Climens and the Alión were outstanding.

IMG_1370.thumb.jpeg.57e0a78424713c3d2fb4e1b60fc4ae7a.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting to see a BC wine in the line up. Hope it showed well. I'll be visiting them tomorrow.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

1 hour ago, Lancelot said:

Very interesting to see a BC wine in the line up. Hope it showed well. I'll be visiting them tomorrow.

Yes, Okanagan wine is world class now.  Lots of awards being received.  Loads of international winemakers at work in the wineries.  If you have it available to you, please try.

19 hours ago, Lancelot said:

It was good. It's great to see Canadian wines appear more often in wine lists. Very difficult to guess blind though, most of us thought it was a fresher style of Syrah from Australia.

I hope you enjoyed your visit!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, Anna N said:

I just relooked at the recipe and it states 0.5 teas salt, 0.5 teas white pepper and 1.5 teas soy. there is a mistake on the whit ppper when you add it to the beaten eggs it says 1 teas not 1/2

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

@Anna N

I think that recipe

Had  " Point 5 "   .5  for S and P

Thank you. My eyesight really sucks and I did not see that. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, scamhi said:

I just relooked at the recipe and it states 0.5 teas salt, 0.5 teas white pepper and 1.5 teas soy. there is a mistake on the whit ppper when you add it to the beaten eggs it says 1 teas not 1/2

Sorry I have a very poor eyesight and I must’ve missed that all together. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sorry I have a very poor eyesight and I must’ve missed that all together. 

I take a double take when using French recipes where a "spoon" looks frighteningly like our "cup".   Slap myself on the head and think in another language. 

eGullet member #80.

Jessica is pet sitting this week in a cool neighborhood across town.  I went over to visit her on Thursday to have lunch and get some kitty/puppy love.  We got lunch at a new-to-us take out place owned and run by a NOLA Vietnamese family.  Jessica’s chicken banh mi, fries, and egg roll:

IMG_6653.jpg.2a2d297a1cfdbbce64a7c39172e9d988.jpg

This was basically a pulled chicken sandwich with some carrots and cucumbers – no pickled stuff.  The fries were good, but the egg roll was a standard food service kind – most likely frozen.  I had the wings, fried rice, and slaw:

IMG_6655.thumb.jpg.502f0e4bf8d6c76a59b56f0cf28a34d3.jpg

They were out of the regular BBQ sauce for the wings, so I got the “Sticky Garlic” sauce.  The wings and the sauce were very good, but I would have preferred for them to be tossed together rather than the sauce being served on the side.  The fried rice was utterly forgettable, but the slaw was great.  Dessert was beignets:

IMG_6651.jpg.13999d92e055a5723fe87fb8b88fa8de.jpg

Not good.  Just greasy, heavy gut-bombs☹️. 

Friday:

IMG_6663.jpg.883ab0bd6c311d024d7e433b678350ae.jpg

Lidl croissant with Costco cranberry chicken salad.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Pseudo Santorini "fava" puree. Santorini yellow split peas (Lathyrus Clymenum L.), nothing to do with broad beans, a variety that grows only on Santorini. Small-scale production, pricey and is the number one meze dish on the Cycladic volcanic island.

TSec0ZH.jpg

Octopus on a bed of roasted aubergine salad

cQ61jim.jpg

Squid

ZxXhRTQ.jpg

WxMnfDh.jpg

Nemea is one of the wine-producing areas in Greece

yeAlYGb.jpg

Turkish tandir flatbread from my regular Turkish grocer. Made fresh daily in the shop. The 3 most important staples in Greek cuisine are bread, cheese and olive oil. A Greek saying goes "no mill - no meal".

3u7LWPl.jpg

My imaginary Cretan gran would probably be proud of me. There's more, because "philoxenia". Seared apricots drenched in honey and quark with homemade port-infused cherries.

GKgLuHq.jpg

iSePg0w.jpg

The last thing is not Greek...

cctQV5c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Post church lunch at a new place in Ashland VA called Mallory’s Kitchen.   We were the only people in the whole place, so I don’t know how long it’s going to last.  That’s too bad because the food was wonderful.  I had the pork chop sandwich and the mac n cheese:

IMG_6677.jpg.0fa577324034780533e66d0cc3aadcc6.jpg

Mr. Kim had a cheese steak and fries:

IMG_6678.jpg.49e6e7994827c3f3308f610cdf911b19.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IMG_4684.thumb.jpeg.002ec43e4ad995605cb40ffc8d171047.jpeg

"Cooking."

Bacon, lettuce and tomato on that Dave's bread. Duke's mayo.

Crudités with house-made ranch dressing/dip. Double dipping allowed, as we each have our own little ration of dip!

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yesterday I made my first meal since early July; I had hand surgery on July 5.  This Friday the doctor OK'd me for light KP duty (kudos to my husband for his divine cooking, excellent ordering of to-go and deliveries, not to mention helping me dress for the initial 2 weeks).  

I made this recipe (sorry, no pics...out of practice) https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/masala-chicken/17928/?itid=lk_inline_manual_25  Developed by Chetna Makan, a British Bake-Off finalist 2014.  The flavors were fine, but it didn't get crispy enough which is likely due to my Fear of Frying.  

Made a raita with Persian cucumbers using the only non-sugared yogurt we can find here (from a local goat farm).  I took an open jar of locally made mango chutney and ramped it up with garam masala, fresh ginger, fresh serrano peppers.  

All in all a fine meal that I want to try again to see if I can get a better crust.  Decided it needs a 3rd condiment...multiple Indian condiments are essential to a great meal IMO.  

This morning a whipped up some Lime Pickle...I sliced the small smooth Key-type limes (mostly all we see here) very thin.  I am hoping they will be edible in 7-10 days.  

lime pickle.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

that TubeSeak

doesn't look even remotely 

warm

That's what happens when you humor @Duvel and try to take pictures of your food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou