• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

Garlic butter filled flatbread from a market snack shop, eating standing at the counter. On an excursion to inland Madeira, Santo Antonio de Serra town's Sunday market. The bread is size of a dinner plate. But in a restaurant it's much smaller as it's a starter or side.

bGxLpRK.jpg

Bolo de caco cooking rig. In the old days the bread used to be cooked on a big slab of basalt stone. The bread can be filled with anything savoury or sweet but the most common filling is garlic butter. Gas pipes under the iron surface can be controlled individually.

M7sghEv.jpg

Bolo the caco is the most popular snack on Madeira and it can be found absolutely everywhere. So far I only see male bakers.

UtRSrZ8.jpg

The baker can't make the bolo fast enough. Not many people order the Pão com Chouriço, which is also sliced open and filled with garlic butter.

WKCFeVs.jpg

Tried some chestnut pastries in a village known for its chestnut specialities.

m5LzXKv.jpg

Unxzho9.jpg

I liked this one the best. Contained big chunks of chestnut and tasted the most chestnut-y.

WWBgL8X.jpg

Chestnut flour is used in this cake. The chestnut flavour is too mild to detect.

ej1KEmN.jpg

Had to try the most popular drink on the island. Poncha (pon-SHA) is a sailors'/fishermen's kind of drink but now everyone else drinks it, too. In the most traditional recipe poncha has mostly local rum, a pinch of sugar and tangerine. Nowadays other fruits are also used.

Not for me as I don't like any mixed drinks, but glad I gave it a go.

GDmOumq.jpg

Had not planned on doing any cooking then I saw perceves...

GxIbn4j.jpg

Madeiran watercress looks a bit different from what I get at home but tastes exactly the same. I abhor cooked watercress and rucola/rocket.

HhjSnmz.jpg

lyuZd9G.jpg

This time the clams cost even more than the perceves.

u5xrkRQ.jpg

Shingle beach

FDHUv6W.jpg

Madeira is a tourist magnet, especially popular with northern Europeans, and of course also the pensioners (who have moved here for the good weather all year round).

The pebbles used on the roof are from the beach.

297VqyS.jpg

On 12/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, KennethT said:

Fascinating.  I hope to see much more of your trip!  I love Madeira's fortified wines but know very little about the place or its food in general.

FYI, the first direct flight from New York landed here at the end of November.

Do your research and make plans soon! :D

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Salt cod fritters (and potatoes)

JwFJLmL.jpg

Big cubes are "milho frito" (Madeiran fried cornmeal). A side for almost every meat or fish dish round these parts.

oj1i6Zp.jpg

Nice tender pork

JiOVKU2.jpg

Octopus

2IOdkWf.jpg

v4JmNca.jpg

Madeira is a geologist's/seismologist's dream. A photo from my beautiful walk today.

h88SanN.jpg

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Salt cod fritters (and potatoes)

JwFJLmL.jpg

Big cubes are "milho frito" (Madeiran fried cornmeal). A side for almost every meat or fish dish round these parts.

oj1i6Zp.jpg

Nice tender pork

JiOVKU2.jpg

Octopus

2IOdkWf.jpg

v4JmNca.jpg

Madeira is a geologist's/seismologist's dream. A photo from my beautiful walk today.

h88SanN.jpg

That's gorgeous.  I definitely have to look into this for the future.  Have you had any Madeiras (the wines) yet?  There are a ton of excellent small producers who don't really get exported.  My wife loves the sercial while I have a bit more a sweet tooth and go for the bual... although I wouldn't turn down a nice old malmsey either!

• Like 1

Ken, I have tried a "dry" tasting set so far. Will check out 2 more sets before I leave the island. One, I'm not (_yet_) into Madeira wines (but like port and sherry). And two, I'm on a walking holiday. Every morning I get picked up and taken to the mountains on walking excursions, coming back at 5pm. Have to return another time just to eat and drink. To experience Madeira one must go to the mountains.

Blandy's wine lodge and tasting room is around the corner from where I'm staying.

Ls75Mrc.jpg

Wines have always been important to Portuguese. Henry the Navigator gave orders for vineyards to be planted. The vines were sent from the Cretan capital. Madeira wines as we know today were discovered quite by accident and the rest is as they say, history.

V5fOogk.jpg

What the (ancient) Greeks and Portuguese did for us...

NVF3mqs.jpg

qTCNfBQ.jpg

Repurposed barrels. They let me see a printed menu. I'm not a phone user.

pxT2Xad.jpg

Fruit monster in fruit paradise. Every morning I eat a big plate of Madeiran fruits.

From this morning: there's passion fruit and there's Madeiran passion fruit. There are 2 types on the island (one is not shown). Madeiran passion fruit, both types, are sweeter and milder. Not to mention HUGE, like most plants, flowers, leaves and trees here. Huge. Early settlers imported bananas from Macau. They are small and sweet. Madeira exports its bananas mostly to mainland Portugal. If there's a suitable surface, no matter how small, they will plant banana trees. Every.where. pretty much.

Oval shaped fruit on left are "tomate inglês" in Portuguese.

RXqUQjg.jpg

Also from this morning: Madeiran sugar cane molasses cake. Not "Madeira cake", which Madeirans called "English cake".

Fvsmpeq.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Today being a holiday and all.. and canceling our planned trip (4th revision thanks omicron)

20211225_154948.thumb.jpg.b43f804e90ebae7e69b6831a00f998f3.jpg

It's American Wagyu ribeye cooked 130f sous vide and then quickly seared.  mashed Potatoes, beets, and not pictured a 2008 single vintage Cab from Whitehall Lanes.

Also not pictured is some Peruvian salt.   Bigger crystals that go well with the steak.  I was amazed at how well the beets paired with the wine.

• Like 4

A typical Madeiran salad, half an onion is hidden on the other side of the lettuce. I have to say "sim cebola, por favor" every day. Raw onions are in everything.

xDq7wkL.jpg

The most common fish in the archipelago. They like the deep waters round these parts. I got the belly section, very rich and fatty like salmon belly.

5KqIhbz.jpg

Sea bass, also simply pan-fried.

B7r3c4c.jpg

The menu is on the wall. Left is fish/seafood, right is meat. Carne de porco vinho d'alhos is the Christmas dish on Madeira.

6r36Yej.jpg

A simple local eatery, not western kind of "snack bar", frequented by locals and some (brave) tourists. We watched some lost tourists who stopped to look but it's not their style so they kept on walking.

mjEwZb2.jpg

What it's like holidaying in a warm place at this time of year. There's no such thing as seasonal decoration overkill (Madeirans can't get enough of festive decos) and lots of greenery which seems out of place (me arriving from cold, miserable food/hell).

m0enViW.jpg

A small park round the corner from my lodging

jELcx6n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Some prime rib sliders for Christmas with my family. With horseradish sauce and arugula.

Broke the 8.6lb roast down a couple days ago. Ended up with a pint of rendered tallow, a few pounds of bones and scraps to make stock, and three lovely cuts of beef. I’m saving the rib cap for myself. 

5558E8C8-207B-4699-862B-61D82A016AA1.thumb.jpeg.ac9433fa40599ce3f34e10b1b3b374fb.jpeg

Salted the ribeye and put it on a rack in the fridge for 36 hours. Then seared it super hard in my Darto 27.

BFBB3622-7796-468B-B0D8-82CE7F86DED1.thumb.jpeg.d87fcd422567492e47dce1807bbbe0d0.jpeg

The core temp was still ice cold after all that searing. Then into a low oven for an hour and a half. The core hit 131F after testing. Here it is before carving.

579E6FCE-B405-4F7C-92B1-F90ED23F3E64.thumb.jpeg.0c092058a3cb4f5167be9c3f1e45e766.jpeg

Finally, sandwich time. Red and green for the holiday!

0F56DAB8-A250-4D88-9AAA-01C12DA9571C.thumb.jpeg.c6e2ec35f04cbb053d88a5bb5c102ba2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

PXL_20211227_181012495.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.956d11785f9b5c19d89b2ab2b510e16c.jpg

It's nice to have a few days off from work, even if I can't travel.  Sockeye salmon (from Wild Alaskan) with black bean sauce.  Somehow I managed not to overcook the last bit of sockeye we got from them.  I'm going to try some of the fish from Wild Fork - so far I've been very happy with their mahi mahi. If I like the rest then I'll discontinue my membership with Wild Alaskan.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Last Monday Jessica surprised us with tamales that she bought from a home kitchen in Southside Richmond:

IMG_7670.jpg.bf6517937226584db32a716cd005919f.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg.055105874ebf144ea64e95d522f85c22.jpg

They were pork and delicious.  The masa was tender and flavorful.  They were not spicy at all, which I appreciated. 

Boxing day lunch:

IMG_7790.jpg.fa5b3e2a43f716ff45efca82b5ba04b5.jpg

Classic – white bread, Dukes, turkey, lettuce and heavy S&P. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Speaking of Boxing Day, @Kim Shook, we had a couple of friends over for lunch that skewed southern. My daughter sent me a made-in-Georgia care package, including some kind of spicy beer pretzels and pickled okra, so that became apps. We had tomato soup with chives, creamy mac n cheese and a green salad for a main meal and gingerbread with hot orange sauce and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Also in the care package: seeded cheese straws and peanut brittle, both of which I'm looking forward to tonight.

P.S. The gingerbread, as always, was Laurie Colwin's Damp Gingerbread, which is no-fail.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I had a quick and easy IMG_20211229_123130.thumb.jpg.7bf0deb1e521ccaa030d1096a76de49c.jpglunch today. Bit of salsa, guacamole and sliced ham on a store bought tortilla.

It took a second to realise it wasn't my guacamole but my mother in law's garlic/ginger paste.

Two cooks one fridge.

• Haha 7

12 floating petri dishes in the harbour yesterday for the NY fireworks (a spectacle in the Madeiran capital).

cJuKCy6.jpg

Sea snails

dedjyy0.jpg

Liimpets. The most popular starter here.

Ndj2aAQ.jpg

The most popular fish after black scabbard is tuna. They love the deep waters around here.

Vy8eAea.jpg

One more order of limpets

vRm6Ude.jpg

4UTQiSa.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3