• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

I don't usually do much for lunch, but when I saw beautiful lobak the other day, I had to make this: Savoury Tang Yuen         

1742250012_SavoryTangYuen5833.jpg.91b64fb423ec642fc5f314879006a580.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Rollmops with dairy

zxjiYk1.jpg

Didn't cut up the herring and add to the quark because I wanted to spread it on the bread and top with sliced roe (which was cooked SV).

UpGJIXH.jpg

J7YZXYj.jpg

Lgavcw8.jpg

For afters

fwJYFOU.jpg

"Snails" filled with pure chocolate, chia seeds (only because I'm out of poppy) and Lebkuchen spice mix.

1queBue.jpg

Beer for yours truly

XUDUPDq.jpg

• Like 10

Lunch on Thursday.  We didn't do a big T-day like normal - thanks messed up world.

I had a whole duck that I cut up the day before and made stock from the carcass and wings.

For lunch I made meatballs with one breast and some of the other loose meat.  Served in a tomato sauce, because seemed like a good idea :)  (It was)

20211125_111013.thumb.jpg.6a1c80421e38c81daee9e1ae322bb2f2.jpg

We fried potatoes in the duck fat, and my wife made stuffing.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@Raamo – love the looks of those fried potatoes! 

We were out looking for a Xmas tree on Friday and we stopped for lunch at Five Guys:

IMG_7450.jpg.543f37d8d1f514316d6ad0dbb0f78ba4.jpg

I guess I have different criteria for hamburgers than most others because we really like Five Guys.  Their fries are excellent (like the boardwalk fries I grew up with) and we like flat smashed griddle patties. 

After church brunch at Sunday at our local pharmacy cafe.  Egg and sausage breakfast for me:

IMG_7482.jpg.ff2ed58adf6a13493d9a097ba1632572.jpg

Greek omelet for Mr. Kim:

IMG_7484.jpg.4b6f56f97a93c62cf451daee8407ba66.jpg

And we shared some pancakes:

IMG_7483.jpg.71f991ed10fab9b4eb913a667316d493.jpg

Lunch yesterday was leftover meat sauce and pasta:

IMG_7486.thumb.jpg.9bd9cb44696988f81dd22a996256a671.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

So we still have the confit duck... and we bought 10 lbs of potatoes on sale... and don't need them all to make Lefse...

so it's hash time!

20211202_113003.thumb.jpg.fe970390603f0cf0e6295e16ad4e0760.jpg

I have not made this at home before - only had it at restaurants - it was really good.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Turns out that a roasted turkey leg yields more than three portions for dinner … now what to do with the rest ?

I found a pound of champignons in the fridge and some bacon cubes that were reaching their expiration date. Chopped up with onion & garlic, fried and passed with all the turkey meat through the grinder. Cooked up with a bit of wine & two cans of tomatoes to give a decent turkey mushroom bolognese, which in turn with a quick bechamel & dry lasagna plates resulted in a decent turkey lasagna. 

ABC06AC9-5DB4-4434-9A6B-0964D030FAE9.thumb.jpeg.866a02bfdcd391d2609e8b228bad494b.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

No dinner after this

z39tCWy.jpg

s3oxuup.jpg

One lunch back on Santorini

A salad with some local cheese. "Chlorotyri" production on Santorini is so small it's limited to mostly home use. Made from goat's milk, creamy and is a bit sour.

lrbh9lh.jpg

Sardines and "fava"

zRt1KNx.jpg

Octopus, and "fava" again, in place of rice or something else.

xiZHb1Y.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

As I was walking home after a Soho excursion, I decided to stop into a favorite take-out bakery, at a favorite restaurant (which was slammed, with people lined up waiting for tables)...

IMG_5677.thumb.jpeg.908b08ba3f143254ae2eb8bf256dfb28.jpeg

Brought home a chicken salad on ciabatta, as well as a Caesar salad with poached salmon, both shared.

Do you know that if you're a solo diner at Balthazar, they bring you a glass of Champagne on the house. Been their policy forever.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

As I was walking home after a Soho excursion, I decided to stop into a favorite take-out bakery, at a favorite restaurant

Balthazar Bakery counter has a magnetic draw. Anywhere near it I have to stop. Work orders from them once a week in rotation with other bakeries. 

• Like 2

There was an odd order to our meals on Saturday.  Not sure if we had two late breakfasts or two lunches!  Our neighborhood Mosque was having an open house from 11-1:30 and we went.  They offered a lovely lunch with Mujadara (lentils, rice, and caramelized onions), falafel, flat bread (no pocket), hummus, and baklava) which we completely enjoyed.  We came home to trim the Christmas tree and a couple of hours later we had our planned brunch – Blueberry Croissant (basically a bread pudding):

IMG_7549.jpg

With Benton’s bacon:

IMG_7550.jpg

We were still trimming the tree on Sunday and had a little snack to sustain us until dinner:

IMG_7564.jpg

Crackers, Cheddar cheese, cocktail sauce, and (store bought) crab dip and some homemade limoncello:

IMG_7565.jpg

I haven't the slightest idea what is going on with the font/bold letters in the post.  I can't seem to correct them and they all were copied/pasted from the same document.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

A late lunch/early dinner.  Chicken thigh with olives and green beans from At Home in the Kitchen.  Served over Massa Organics brown rice.

1471790033_IMG_4724(2).thumb.jpeg.26c69b2df4cab888b1912a08e09ea707.jpeg

The recipe calls for a curious 12 green beans to serve 6 people.  Perhaps they're intended as a garnish?  I dunno but I used more. Stayed fairly true to the ingredients but made quite a few modifications in the cooking procedure.  The result was good.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A late lunch/early dinner.  Chicken thigh with olives and green beans from At Home in the Kitchen.  Served over Massa Organics brown rice.

1471790033_IMG_4724(2).thumb.jpeg.26c69b2df4cab888b1912a08e09ea707.jpeg

The recipe calls for a curious 12 green beans to serve 6 people.  Perhaps they're intended as a garnish?  I dunno but I used more. Stayed fairly true to the ingredients but made quite a few modifications in the cooking procedure.  The result was good.  

Looks great especially the green beans. Did they get a slight char somehow or do I finally have to throw in the towel and hit Costco for new lenses?

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Looks great especially the green beans. Did they get a slight char somehow or do I finally have to throw in the towel and hit Costco for new lenses?

I don't think there was any char.  The color is likely from the pan sauce that they were cooked in.  Mine sauce came out looking a good bit darker than in the book photo....but then that's the case with much of what I cook 🙃

• Haha 1

B2674632-2823-4FA2-A0C3-7EDE436320B8.thumb.jpeg.70454727f3daf4298eef83b45d68eb79.jpegSautéed grape tomatoes, spinach and sliced mushrooms over seasoned rice. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We don't have much for breakfast or lunch. Lots of small snack choices like ramen eggs, yogurt/granola/fruits. Cheeses/crackers. Nuts. Salads.

Made a pot of mixed grain last night and an enormous pot of garbanzos for roasting and some humus I'll make tonight. This sounded good with some cheese in the micro---a microwave I use maybe once a month. Nice cheese pull😀

Took a minute to figure out the cheese I used as most of the label was missing. A young cheddar, tangy and melty. Would make a nice grilled cheese. Cheese can be so mysterious. Totally bland as a snacking cheese but bloomed in flavor melted. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.22.55 PM.png

• Like 1

1496EF2E-243B-4F16-A27A-FAAE4E669FBC.thumb.jpeg.c4692c11b7aff6bb33d685983c432dee.jpeg

It looks like a bit of a dog’s dinner but it was tasty enough. Roasted vegetables over rice with some pickled ginger. The sauce did not work very well. I decided that I am not particularly fond of hoisin sauce no matter what. I am going to fool around with a few ingredients to see if I can make a sauce that I can enjoy over a rice bowl. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, KennethT said:

20211211_125124_HDR.thumb.jpg.c5dffb656dbf363297a74e4759d8e7f9.jpg

Nice looking slab of pecorino; not too aged and dry - would make a really nice cacio e pepe as well as your shrimp pasta.  DiPalo's? Somewhere closer to you?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?