• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Fortunately for me, I can get one by simply walking down the block. Wu's has 2 or 3 styles of roast duck; there's alike a  honey basted one, a classic Cantonese one, and usually a pressed duck as well.

I reminisce about the time I could easily do that as well … but times change. And I hate you !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here’s Tom Colicchio on open braises. If the unconventional use of the word “braise” is good enough for him. AND The New York Times……🙃

“I like to braise uncovered. This is a little unconventional, but I find it works very well. Covering the pan cooks the meat with steam, which speeds the process but produces less flavorful meat and sauce. Uncovered oven braising also allows the exposed meat to roast and brown. It does mean that you should turn the meat occasionally during cooking to ensure even browning and moist meat.

He says its "unconventional" as in not adhering to the conventions of braising...as in not exactly braising.

Times schimes. Colicchio schmolicchio.

😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

@weinoo Uncovered cooking isn't a braise.  Nor is SV duck leg in oil a confit...but it is very close

That is what I've been led to believe as well.

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here’s Tom Colicchio on open braises. If the unconventional use of the word “braise” is good enough for him. AND The New York Times……🙃

“I like to braise uncovered. This is a little unconventional, but I find it works very well. Covering the pan cooks the meat with steam, which speeds the process but produces less flavorful meat and sauce. Uncovered oven braising also allows the exposed meat to roast and brown. It does mean that you should turn the meat occasionally during cooking to ensure even browning and moist meat.

58 minutes ago, gfweb said:

He says its "unconventional" as in not adhering to the conventions of braising...as in not exactly braising.

Times schimes. Colicchio schmolicchio.

😉

Screw Collichio; I wanna know what Padma thinks!!

• Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Ann_T – Of all the folks at eG that Mr. Kim has proposed to, I think you are the one that he’s proposed to most often.  And I think that Sticky Toffee Pudding has sealed the deal.  That is his absolute favorite dessert and yours was the most gorgeous one we’ve ever seen😄!

Brunch after church last Sunday at our new favorite “diner” (Southern style – so no train car atmosphere).  Mine:

IMG_7402.jpg.5c1fa8b73b5bb5f810b0a2f3892e6724.jpg

Hash browns, cheesy scrambled eggs, biscuit, and chicken fried steak (which needed a heftier crust) and gravy on the side.  Jessica’s:

IMG_7403.jpg.a406de6bf41d95ef8c3837cc4b44544d.jpg

Eggs Benedict and hashbrowns.  Mr. Kim got the big burger and fries:

IMG_7404.thumb.jpg.e19c1f09614b4d396274ea09cc17e2f7.jpg

Jessica, who prefers her food not to touch, shivered at what I call my fork casserole😄:

IMG_7405.jpg.1b1abca001beabd0da38668001982619.jpg

I told her she was crazy since her Benedicts were the same thing I had – bread, meat, egg, sauce. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

58 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – Of all the folks at eG that Mr. Kim has proposed to, I think you are the one that he’s proposed to most often.  And I think that Sticky Toffee Pudding has sealed the deal.  That is his absolute favorite dessert and yours was the most gorgeous one we’ve ever seen😄!

Brunch after church last Sunday at our new favorite “diner” (Southern style – so no train car atmosphere).  Mine:

IMG_7402.jpg.5c1fa8b73b5bb5f810b0a2f3892e6724.jpg

Hash browns, cheesy scrambled eggs, biscuit, and chicken fried steak (which needed a heftier crust) and gravy on the side.  Jessica’s:

IMG_7403.jpg.a406de6bf41d95ef8c3837cc4b44544d.jpg

Eggs Benedict and hashbrowns.  Mr. Kim got the big burger and fries:

IMG_7404.thumb.jpg.e19c1f09614b4d396274ea09cc17e2f7.jpg

Jessica, who prefers her food not to touch, shivered at what I call my fork casserole😄:

IMG_7405.jpg.1b1abca001beabd0da38668001982619.jpg

I told her she was crazy since her Benedicts were the same thing I had – bread, meat, egg, sauce. 

Is the loose texture on the hash browns typical around there?  I haven't had too many, but I always thought they were more bound into some kind of cake...

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Is the loose texture on the hash browns typical around there?  I haven't had too many, but I always thought they were more bound into some kind of cake...

In my mind, those cakes are the product of Sysco and come frozen and are just toasted somehow.  The really good loose ones are fresh grated or at least not frozen and fried on a flat top.  To me they taste so much better than the cake ones - especially with some onions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Kim Shook, AAAH, please tell Mr. Kim that made my day. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

It can prove quite challenging in a diner!  If hashbrowns are on the menu will they be loose or will they be like a poor excuse for a latke? Similarly with home fries. You are never quite sure what you’re going to get until they arrive on your plate. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

lunch today

Had some Ventresca canned tuna from Regalis.

Salad with blanched green beans, red onion and tomato. Dressed with moscatel sherry vinegar and olive oil and a splash of left over salsa verde from last night.

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

lunch today

Had some Ventresca canned tuna from Regalis.

Salad with blanched green beans, red onion and tomato. Dressed with moscatel sherry vinegar and olive oil and a splash of left over salsa verde from last night.

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

That is the most respectfully canned tuna I have ever seen, just lovely!

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

2 lesser known Greek dips: aubergine pulp and yogurt

Xk6dQJf.jpg

Yogurt and roasted sweet peppers

fqmgy8X.jpg

Cold prawns

mDuDqM7.jpg

QSa49x8.jpg

A bit later in the afternoon... Turkish pistachio/walnut baklava. I dislike sweet things but there are a couple of things I like and eat in excess such as these and flans. Notice I'm partial to pistachios. In the background are kaki/persimmons from Andalucia, sweet grapes from Turkey. The briki/cezve (copper coffee pot) is also Turkish.

b09n7wo.jpg

Photos from my trip in September: a simple lunch at Knossos, close to the incredible ruins. This organic restaurant serves Minoan and typical Cretan dishes.

Cretan salad is a bit more substantial than the typical "village salad", AKA "Greek salad. Cretan salad has hard-boiled eggs and chunks of barley rusk.

kN7891i.jpg

Souvlaki with mixed grain

L6faCLm.jpg

0RjkXKV.jpg

In the open under big olive trees

wMHG6rO.jpg

And hanging grapes

lGhZVsv.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Took a long drive through a few boroughs today, out into Brooklyn and then home via Queens. And stopped for pizza in Ozone Park, close to the home of the infamous (and dead) mob boss, John Gotti.

IMG_5580.thumb.jpeg.f0e09d094584284f0a0919f7b428b653.jpeg

It's considered classic by many;  a little different than Joe's, different than Louie & Ernie's, etc. etc.  Good nonetheless. And possibly in my top 10 slice places.

It must be okay; look at how many boxes they go through - this is a day or twos worth...

IMG_5584.thumb.jpeg.bb3e63cd037f91ff5943152c83fb3fe5.jpeg

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Im a fan f Soud and a sandwich 

esp in the colder month.

soup is easy to make in the iPot

and a sandwich is easy to make , if you have the i ingredients 

I came up with this just now :

IMG_0501.thumb.jpg.8c8e3f169d03ded09b352f7a7d1e658a.jpg

its Progresso Italian Wedding  ( lower salt version )  the salt difference is not huge

but Ill take what I can get .  The Sandwich ?  1/2 of a Trader Joes roll up turkey w basil.

I sliced the 1/2 TJ's  into Medallions , and heated them up w the soup.

the sandwich comes from the refrigerator , so it takes a few more seconds to get Hot.

I drizzle Tj's Kalamata olive oil on the top.

very easy and quite tasty .  the flour tortilla gets ' broth- infused '

which you may or may not like,  I do.

the basil in the sandwich did not work as well as i though 

( I had few other choices --- I have a different TJ's roll-up w turkey still in the refrig

for the future ).  its difficult to eat the roll up tortilla this way 

so next time Ill cut the Medallions in 1/4's

turned out much much better than I thought.

a keeper for me.  taste is fine , easy  prep

Outstanding.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im a fan f Soud and a sandwich 

esp in the colder month.

soup is easy to make in the iPot

and a sandwich is easy to make , if you have the i ingredients 

I came up with this just now :

its Progresso Italian Wedding  ( lower salt version )  the salt difference is not huge

but Ill take what I can get .  The Sandwich ?  1/2 of a Trader Joes roll up turkey w basil.

I sliced the 1/2 TJ's  into Medallions , and heated them up w the soup.

the sandwich comes from the refrigerator , so it takes a few more seconds to get Hot.

I drizzle Tj's Kalamata olive oil on the top.

very easy and quite tasty .  the flour tortilla gets ' broth- infused '

which you may or may not like,  I do.

the basil in the sandwich did not work as well as i though 

( I had few other choices --- I have a different TJ's roll-up w turkey still in the refrig

for the future ).  its difficult to eat the roll up tortilla this way 

so next time Ill cut the Medallions in 1/4's

turned out much much better than I thought.

a keeper for me.  taste is fine , easy  prep

Outstanding.

Interesting. Reminds me of Flädle

• Like 1

Yesterday we attended church and lunch with Mr. Kim's dad and stepmom to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary.  Restaurant was a Greek/Italian neighborhood place we've been going to since before we were married!  Mr. Kim still goes every month for our church's men's breakfast and we go every so often when he wants spaghetti and I want pastichio 😁.  Only got a picture of my plate this time - I got the Greek appetizers:

IMG_7434.jpg.e1a884b39d883357f58a119955dda854.jpg

Pita, hummus, dolmas with lamb, tiropita, and spanikopita.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Blue fin tuna caught off-shore over the weekend...

1449815625_IMG_20211122_1407207412.thumb.jpg.8489e656f5d03c436649ed327992ca2d.jpg

...belly seared in coconut oil, dressed in house-made ponzu, a hit of mustard oil, furikake, arugula and local veg. Probably the tastiest lunch I've had in weeks.

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Interesting. Reminds me of Flädle

I am quite taken with the idea. When eating soup and a sandwich and I am fairly certain I am alone, I dunk. Doesn’t much matter what the sandwich or what the soup!  If some of the bread or some of the filling should “accidentally” fall into the soup, all the better. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

One of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series invented "leftover sandwich soup."

I think a wrap fits the concept quite well.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Anna N 

interesting points

Ive been thinking more about this technique.

for me , both C19 related , and some not really that bad back issues

Im happy w what TJ's has for wraps.  they see of high quality

are are varied.  for soups right now , a have several kinds from Progresso.

Bena w bacon might not work with this technique

Im sure some TJW's I have not tried as wraps , might work a bit better

in different soups.  the is a very nice Italian Wrap .  salami etc etc

8 months of sodium right there , but really tasty 

[ed.: remember , there are some simple rules  on getting the ingredients ]

a few slices of that might be mighty fine in the Progresso IW soup.

etc.

you do loose texture difference , a Soup is soupy , a Hand Sandwich ( in the hand ) 

does not.

etc

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

One of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series invented "leftover sandwich soup."

I think a wrap fits the concept quite well.

That's a unique concept - kind of assembled tortilla soup! Reminds me of the episode of the Urban Peasant (James Barber - much loved Canadian cook, not chef) when he did Leftover Dinner Party Soup. He said he basically scraped all the leftover food, including salad, with the leftover wine into a big pot and let it simmer all night!

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6AE584FA-A74B-4400-B0F1-FE75F741282D.thumb.jpeg.d2ab8f84d025cf39d660db6a30cf2491.jpeg

Driven by the need to conserve energy (mine) I made a rice bowl. Japanese rice that I had made and frozen, whole leaf frozen spinach, cooked and drained, and a frozen pork burger cooked and chopped up. The hole was seasoned with butter and soy sauce. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

E0DE202A-C025-45E9-8E3E-591D8E6BBE1E.thumb.jpeg.f07f0e7daa5458b5784b6a9b81a29d41.jpeg

I hate, hate grocery shopping online. Almost certainly I will be missing three or more things that I am positive I have ordered and I will be figuring out how to deal with things that are over abundant. This week it was ginormous onions. Fortunately I love onions prepared any way. This one I peeled and then sectioned down through the untrimmed root. I de-knuckled a chicken  Maryland (Australian for chicken leg quarter) and cut up a medium Yukon gold potato. Everything was tossed in oil and salt and pepper and strewn with fresh thyme sprigs. (I just love how that drumstick plumps up.)

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog