• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

The other day I purchased a nice slab of pork belly to make Dong Po Rou. Unfortunately, a mixture of mid-morning hunger pangs and a general and enduring laziness got the better of me. I found myself scoring and salting that pork belly and making roasted pork belly with Knödel & mango Sauerkraut in between two virtual meetings …

C0D9974E-FFBA-44E8-BFE5-F2D762AA3386.thumb.jpeg.a4f91d9a64f8edfb4b1e5613ccb56208.jpeg

C9D1950B-EF9F-4720-B602-507862ADC4F1.thumb.jpeg.1b79dd1298eb1b28152754958e6c5e1b.jpeg

It definitely helped with the hunger, but accentuated my laziness. I almost fell asleep during the 14.00h call 🙄

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

The other day I purchased a nice slab of pork belly to make Dong Po Rou. Unfortunately, a mixture of mid-morning hunger pangs and a general and enduring laziness got the better of me. I found myself scoring and salting that pork belly and making roasted pork belly with Knödel & mango Sauerkraut in between two virtual meetings …

C0D9974E-FFBA-44E8-BFE5-F2D762AA3386.thumb.jpeg.a4f91d9a64f8edfb4b1e5613ccb56208.jpeg

C9D1950B-EF9F-4720-B602-507862ADC4F1.thumb.jpeg.1b79dd1298eb1b28152754958e6c5e1b.jpeg

It definitely helped with the hunger, but accentuated my laziness. I almost fell asleep during the 14.00h call 🙄

I would hardly call that meal lazy! I can almost taste that lucious pork, not to mention the accompaniments. I spent the day with my Dad at his long term care home, so turkey barley soup from the freezer and grilled (smoked gouda) cheese are looking like dinner chez moi. But now I want pork...

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Garlic, fish sauce from Phu Quoc (I've been and won't use non Phu Quoc), chillies, lime juice, sugar etc.

BB9QYBd.jpg

Simply steamed razors. I know everyone likes to eat their shellfish with pasta, chips, bread or whatever. I only need a beer and lime juice.

KwYWFVj.jpg

One kilo of razor clams

blWvosC.jpg

Some of the last things from the seas round these parts that are still wild-caught.

91BUs73.jpg

xDi0veV.jpg

Z4x6hY8.jpg

jeurDwF.jpg

6X7R1Gh.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Found Moroccan fried flatbread in Turkish supermarket (made by a Moroccan, just a small stack).

Moroccan-inspired breakfast for lunch.

RQAvMCc.jpg

o0Ejsmd.jpg

Green drinks are melon puree and matcha tea (separately).

kNv5cmt.jpg

Savoury bread rolls with red kuri, Speck, grated goat's cheese and garlic.

0C9BXsP.jpg

And some Turkish medlars

nD5f5wT.jpg

• Like 9

PXL_20211030_173738344.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.9bee1fa2bce64a4bb2770fb9b98c8cbf.jpg

Prawn moiee from Dishoom, on rice vermicelli made with wild Key West pink shrimp from Wild Fork (they're really shrimpy).  I didn't have any green Indian chillies so I used my spur chillies (prik chee faa).  It tasted a bit off balance, so I added a touch of palm sugar, but all-in-all we thought it was a bit bland.  I don't know if I'd make it again, without a lot of adaptions, probably add some hing powder and maybe some whole cumin.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Prawn moiee from Dishoom, on rice vermicelli made with wild Key West pink shrimp from Wild Fork (they're really shrimpy).  I didn't have any green Indian chillies so I used my spur chillies (prik chee faa).  It tasted a bit off balance, so I added a touch of palm sugar, but all-in-all we thought it was a bit bland.  I don't know if I'd make it again, without a lot of adaptions, probably add some hing powder and maybe some whole cumin.

Mine turned out with a pleasant level of heat from the green chilies but I needed to add a LOT of lemon.  I would like to try it again but will marinate the fish, which I believe is more traditional and squeeze in lots of lime, which is probably not 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Pan fried snubnose pompano with green chilli and scallion. The fish was marinaded in Shaoxing wine and salt before cooking. Served with bread and butter.

pompano.thumb.jpg.6a2207d19480973663cc05c352deb62a.jpg

One of the tastiest fish out there!

Our local Chinese fish market often has these, sometimes fresher than others...

42 minutes ago, TicTac said:

They are indeed tasty, but not much meat on them. I would serve one per person! Lunch was only me, so it worked out just fine.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, TicTac said:

I had pompano for the first time in New Orleans at GW Fins. As the waiter cleared our plates I commented on how delicious it had been and asked if it was a freshwater fish, (as I had never heard of it.) The waiter replied he would ask the chef which led to the chef coming to our table, very concerned because the waiter had said that I had questioned the freshness of the fish! Must have been my Canadian accent. I explained what my query had been and we all had a good laugh. The chef later sent out dessert on the house.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

I had pompano for the first time in New Orleans at GW Fins. As the waiter cleared our plates I commented on how delicious it had been and asked if it was a freshwater fish, (as I had never heard of it.) The waiter replied he would ask the chef which led to the chef coming to our table, very concerned because the waiter had said that I had questioned the freshness of the fish! Must have been my Canadian accent. I explained what my query had been and we all had a good laugh. The chef later sent out dessert on the house.

Us Canucks and our crazy accents, eh!?

It's alright, when in doubt, we just apologize our way out of anything ;)

• Haha 1

IMG_5463.thumb.jpeg.806de4e48016e7b87d8271140804b9f2.jpeg

House made shrimp salad over greens, tomato, avocado, radish, cucumber, etc.

Wild gulf shrimp, gently poached in a seafood/shrimp shell stock, chopped, tossed with sweet onion, celery, piquillo pepper, dill, chives, Duke's, Dijon, lemon juice.  

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Croatian coppa

1PFKiEM.jpg

Iberico aged sheep's milk hard cheese and camembert

9tYB4z5.jpg

Cod's liver in own oil (middle), fig spread, pumpkin bread, chocolate paste (Lindt 99% + macadamia nuts)

6Sdrg1V.jpg

First autumn photos this year. In one of the woods I go for walks.

pGErcBg.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

A gathering of colleagues decided that after not seeing each other for ~12 month, celebrations in the form of a Domino’s pizza was in order 🤔

When they found me in the office they insisted that I join, as they had ordered two (!) extra pizzæ - just in case. I couldn’t refuse. 

I got the “Korean BBQ Pizza”, with Korean BBQ sauce, pulled beef, beef “filet”, mushrooms, red onions and sesame seeds, by default. I know I should tell you otherwise, but it wasn’t half bad to be honest. 

DADF7719-547C-46ED-BB25-DD71BA8E6155.thumb.jpeg.80e434bc72991ee32b5cdd249b9af6d0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

After a lovely time at The Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday, a friend and I decided a late lunch was in the offing.

Not super close, but a 20 minute walk away is the classic, original J.G. Melon...

IMG_5505.thumb.JPG.054588af3051edaa0525461ccca5cfe1.JPG

Melon has been around for about 50 years; when Significant Eater and I lived 2 blocks away, we were regulars one or two nights a month. Back then (20 years ago), the burger was considered to be a thing of beauty, before all the bespoke burgers started popping up from here to Paris.  But, as has been written much more recently, it's not as good as it once was (is anything?). Still, my friend was visiting from far away, and is doing a bunch of classic NYC stuff, so...

IMG_5508.thumb.jpg.03b5113a8c70d89ef0203529cf3e73ef.jpg

Cooked more than I like (or requested), seasoned less than I like. 

As someone once writ, you can't go home again.   And not for nothing, the place was full as ever at 3 P.M. - or as they say on the upper east, time for lunch.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

麻辣香锅 (má là xiāng guō) - Hot and Numbing Savoury Pot. Not the most elegant translation, but accurate. This is a popular fast food type of dish. Sichuan flavourings.

This one contains beef, duck blood, quail eggs, bean sprouts, pak choy, tofu skin, scallions, garlic, chilli, Sichuan peppercorn.

1682396155_.thumb.jpg.5fa1c83cdbeefe072f3a6cce43987990.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto