• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

WoW

home made ?

I was in your area a 

some time ago

I concentrated on 

Scrapple 

however 

some time ago there was a 

TV show or so

and took the top two

PSK's  and well

it was interesting 

to me.

@rotuts it's not Philadelphia Steak.  It's "cheese steak".  And unlike cheese steaks, scrapple is not typically served on a hoagie roll.

My colleague who recently spent two nights in her car was so thankful for Wawa.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@rotuts it's not Philadelphia Steak.  It's "cheese steak".  And unlike cheese steaks, scrapple is not typically served on a hoagie roll.

My colleague who recently spent two nights in her car was so thankful for Wawa.

Very good point. The prefix "Philly" on a cheesesteak pretty much means it sucks and misses the point.

Like the one the Milwaukee Brewers served Phillies writers that was made with hamburger meat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Very good point. The prefix "Philly" on a cheesesteak pretty much means it sucks and misses the point.

Like the one the Milwaukee Brewers served Phillies writers that was made with hamburger meat.

LOL That sounds like deliberate trolling...

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Legit question— I know beans are a form of protein but they act as a carb to me. I can’t imagine eating pasta with beans. It seems like it would be a very heavy dish. Am I mistaken? 

In general, beans & grains contain both medium to significant amounts of protein, albeit each with a (partly complementary) incomplete amino acid profile. However, together they fulfill the essential amino acid spectrum, so it makes a lot of sense to eat them together. Whether you consider the combination heavy I can’t say, but in this case with the runner beans I can’t really imagine …

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

From ZEF BBQ 

I'm loving the story of ZEF you posted. Seems they are killing it. That is how start-ups get recognition and investors for a permanent location. I wish them future success. 

Smart to limit what they can do....50$ minimum, one day order. They can plan their cook week and not get overwhelmed producing an inferior product. Smart. Good energy. Wish I had that locally. Looking at the offerings....wow. 

• Like 1

I have a cupboard full of these

0cX80BT.jpg

But this I cooked myself

nSTuBSi.jpg

moFZ9Di.jpg

Roasted aubergine.

VGtGuUP.jpg

Sliced Waikiki melon with some full fat quark from the dairy farmer.

HXHhBD5.jpg

Very nice cheeses.

tNm4ahd.jpg

Finally ate and drank all the melons I bought last week, and have probably gained 2 kilos from the sugar. Worth it.

awS1jck.jpg

54DHtJ5.jpg

Last of the melon

mk3LiYi.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Kimchi Dogs. Rare in our home but after a crap work week....purchased for a BBQ as a back-up but tossed in the freezer never used. A Costco purchase when we needed t-p a few months ago. Quick thaw freezer shopping....impatient I grill cast iron Staub griddle from frozen. RG bean testing a new spice blend. A baked bean dealio without the salts and sugars. 

TETON DOGS-2.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 9/12/2021 at 10:54 PM, MetsFan5 said:

Legit question— I know beans are a form of protein but they act as a carb to me. I can’t imagine eating pasta with beans. It seems like it would be a very heavy dish. Am I mistaken? 

On 9/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, Duvel said:

In general, beans & grains contain both medium to significant amounts of protein, albeit each with a (partly complementary) incomplete amino acid profile. However, together they fulfill the essential amino acid spectrum, so it makes a lot of sense to eat them together. Whether you consider the combination heavy I can’t say, but in this case with the runner beans I can’t really imagine …

Green/runner beans are really not high on either protein or carbs. And is quite light in my opinion.

Pasta (or rice, wheat, etc.) with beans is indeed a complete protein.

There are many pasta and legume dishes - some heavy (which can be a delight in winter), some light.

Pasta e fagioli and pasta e ceci are often among the heavier.

Ciceri e tria and fagioli e cozze are somewhere in the middle.

And brown/navy beans with pesto sauce is quite common and fairly light. Same goes for pasta salads. Generally, chilled legumes with some bright acidity can be quite refreshing.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:03 PM, Duvel said:

In my nutrition science world the combining thing left the building many years ago. As with most food stuff- eating variety across a spectrum gets you there. I am not  vegan but this is a summation of my many readings  https://www.ecowatch.com/hey-vegetarians-and-vegans-its-time-to-debunk-the-protein-combining-my-1891129518.html#:~:text=Protein combining is the idea,truth about plant-based protein. Not dismissing bio-availabillty but that is while other thing.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, shain said:

Green/runner beans are really not high on either protein or carbs. And is quite light in my opinion.

Pasta (or rice, wheat, etc.) with beans is indeed a complete protein.

There are many pasta and legume dishes - some heavy (which can be a delight in winter), some light.

Pasta e fagioli and pasta e ceci are often among the heavier.

Ciceri e tria and fagioli e cozze are somewhere in the middle.

And brown/navy beans with pesto sauce is quite common and fairly light. Same goes for pasta salads. Generally, chilled legumes with some bright acidity can be quite refreshing.

Thanks for the information. I am not a big fan of beans and only like certain types. But I’m also not a huge fan of animal proteins in pasta. It just makes for a very heavy meal imo. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:10 PM, Annie_H said:

Wish I had that locally.

While not the same offerings as ZEF, here's an actual barbecue place doing similar...https://www.instagram.com/queenscustombarbecue/

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, shain said:

And brown/navy beans with pesto sauce is quite common and fairly light.

Sometimes I'll even go for the "traditional" Genovese method of making a pasta with pesto...penne, green beans, potatoes all in pesto sauce!

1325253002_PennewithPotatoesGreenBeansandPesto.thumb.jpeg.02c7fd8f473fd8b483b895728ddf648d.jpeg 

That'll fill you up.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

While not the same offerings as ZEF, here's an actual barbecue place doing similar...https://www.instagram.com/queenscustombarbecue/

That is good to see. Always room for more BBQ. Decent burnt tips in LIC. We lost a favorite lunch spot that had an excellent short rib sandwich on Fridays. I've been making a decent MomofukuBoSaam. Good bark. Maybe not yet 'mastered' but equal to some and the freezer packets do make nice quick meals and lunches.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Sometimes I'll even go for the "traditional" Genovese method of making a pasta with pesto...penne, green beans, potatoes all in pesto sauce!

Nice big russet quartered till soft. Pull out with a spider. Skin steams off easily. Cut smaller when cool. Use the same water for a bit of pasta. Any veg/bean that makes sense or on hand. I like the potato. Texture. Shared link of merguez scissor snipped into small meat balls. Small portion with a big side salad. Quick mid-week meal. (and make a couple lunches at the same time)

I'm all about mixed grains and beans. Not necessarily about a nutritional profile. All about variety. Not sure when I purchased the Staub baby grain pot. 5-6 yrs ?. (zwilling sale). A dozen grain and two dozen RG bean club choices in the pantry it is a no-brainer to combine the textures and nuttiness. Green split peas, quinoa, etc, on their own as a side, ?, not a great texture. I make a mixed grain once a week. Always different. Wild rice, winter/summer wheat, soaked porcini mushrooms, hijiki, (with salmon smoked or cast iron seared). 

I like it for breakfast, or any lunch bowls. A few bean varieties combine really well. Warm or in cold salads. Every couple weeks a soaked batch of garbanzos...1/3 spiced and roasted, 1/3rd for a small batch of humus, and some for anything that might like a few beans. 

Not leftovers. All is planned for a few day lunches. I have a two day limit. DH has no issues 3-4 day. I switch to lunch salads by Wednesday...sometimes freeze a pint in broth for soups. Any extras go into the pups diet. (minced in the cuisinart)

Since the holidays 2019, 5-6 container salad snack choices have been our lunches. Avocados, Jammy ramen eggs. (a recent favorite)

GRAIN STAUB.png

SALADS MIXED.png

• Like 6