• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

very nicely melted cheese on that sandwich

I do not think of muenster when I think sandwhich

I think Ive been making a mistake

its on the list.

I was thinking of you the whole time the cheese was getting melty in the CSO.  Also on my breakfast this morning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, Shelby said:

I agree! I could eat them just plain.  I need to get some more.  That was my last can. 

Agreed, they are a frequent at home lunch.  Eaten out of the can or plated  but usually with a squirt of sriracha 

• Like 2

Lidl has a new food product theme, "Sicilian", and I got a few things.

1yqwLYT.jpg

aumuKYi.jpg

0y0tySM.jpg

Primosale ("first salt", young pecorino). There's also "second salt", but most of us are more familiar with aged percorino. The double-smoked ricotta is not from Lidl. I brought it back from Sicily myself.

Based on a Sicilan sandwich called "Pani Cunzatu". Bread with tomatoes and primosale.

s594TAB.jpg

Walnut spread (misspelled in the photo) with lots of double-smoked ricotta.

8KCycc0.jpg

Olives are too mild for my taste. I like them bitter, firm and salty.

6RTtUDW.jpg

Ricotta with Sicilain pistachios and honey

xjztMPh.jpg

My snacks this week. 10 ears of fresh corn (already ate 2 before this photo). I like steaming them and eat them plain.

I9uPpwz.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Lunch today, a fresh tomato (well cooked fresh tomato) sauce over thin spaghetti:

20210829_170821.thumb.jpg.d57f0a50a12b2266ef7a28f07f757807.jpg

It's that time of year we get lots of Tomatoes from my wife's garden.  Most are canned, some are used fresh.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Leftover linguine w/homemade pesto, tuna, sliced grape tomatoes. I had really undercooked the pasta, so it actually held up well as a cold dish.

IMG_20210831_133746.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Yesterday I tried an "experiment." Well actually the experiment was already done by Kenji, so I went about copying it...

IMG_4806.thumb.jpeg.9f295126d7e09983dc6ad3ee421e56d3.jpeg

IMG_4808.thumb.jpeg.141b16a6fef693fc0dd006e38ab7f9a8.jpeg

Using the above ingredients, and this recipe...https://www.seriouseats.com/ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe

IMG_4804.thumb.jpeg.2a162085884c24d4f79c3f9b43d73f24.jpeg

IMG_4805.thumb.jpeg.b2ea0b399ce3096d3e17bec510d6dc93.jpeg

Followed to a "T," this will be the one and only time I'll make it. Oh yeah, Significant Eater loved it (but she's a junkfood junkie and probably ate lots of boxes of Kraft while away at college); I was not as impressed. I don't make macaroni and cheese that often (give me spaghetti cacio e pepe any day), but when I have, it's been light years better than this was.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So it was Fathers Day yesterday Down Under.  After a recent holiday road trip with the caravan we came across an electric benchtop pizza oven in an outback pub.  We where really impressed with the pizza's and had mentioned it to the family along with other travel stories so they surprised me with one for fathers day. 

IMG_20210905_131535.thumb.jpg.ed3ae54493c3b4613ad6976daeef38fe.jpg

IMG_20210905_132204.thumb.jpg.607411e523c00045278beafdde268112.jpg

Yumm!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

"Greek"-style bread rings. They look pale because I didn't dip them in a bath of grape molasses.

8CTRys2.jpg

Eggs & tomatoes

w9NhGEA.jpg

Waikiki melon

4WHD4Aj.jpg

Sweet melons

R0IWDHS.jpg

Walnut-macadamia-poppy seed-honey paste. (Santorini on honey label, 2 hours by high speed catamaran from the Cretan capital.)

9nUcAfE.jpg

The same paste in a Weck pot, easier to see.

D95Oi5H.jpg

My espresso cups double as egg cups. And name of places I have visited in the past.

3SWoSmV.jpg

2 days without "Greek salad" and the partner be like "no Greek salad?"

96uVqed.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@weinoo – I confess that I would probably like that mac and cheese.  My appreciation of various mac and cheese dishes is w i d e!  I love a from-scratch homemade baked one and I love my fixed up Kraft Deluxe (the one with the Cheez Whiz – not the powdered stuff). 

I made a batch of my mother’s best friend’s macaroni salad.  It is a creamy chicken and pineapple salad.  I’ve eaten it all my life and when she passed away, I realized that I’d lost track of her recipe.  I worked on it for years and just couldn’t get it right.  About 10 years ago I found a recipe in a magazine that rang a bell.  I removed the called-for green peppers (😳😳😳)and corn (🤔🤔) and added the pineapple and it worked! It’s been lunch since Friday:

IMG_6972.jpg.2cb7c402ef15678d2a35801f1ac59025.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

PXL_20210906_171547112.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.d705c5c141da88f627122a29c6365282.jpg

I finally had time this weekend to make another batch of Teochew style Bak Kut Teh.  It's basically a pork broth with lots of garlic and, depending on which school you come from, either lots of white pepper or black pepper.  At one point, I had read that a famous place in Singapore (where I fell in love with this dish) uses a special black pepper from Malaysia which has a rounder flavor than most other peppercorns - so I was able to find a Sumatran black peppercorn which is quite similar.  Since I cooked the crap out of the pork ribs in the pressure cooker to extract every last bit of flavor and gelatin I could (the bones collapsed almost under their own weight), the ribs then went in the garbage as they tasted of nothing and were really dried out.  So I like to make this a healthy version (with shrimp) in the defatted broth.  To give it a bit more bulk, I added a knife cut noodle that I get at H-Mart.  What better pre-Rosh Hashanah meal could there be - both pork and shrimp!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, weinoo said:

Followed to a "T," this will be the one and only time I'll make it. Oh yeah, Significant Eater loved it (but she's a junkfood junkie and probably ate lots of boxes of Kraft while away at college); I was not as impressed. I don't make macaroni and cheese that often (give me spaghetti cacio e pepe any day), but when I have, it's been light years better than this was.

Was it the evaporated milk? 

My family prefers stovetop, I have never tried it with evap milk. 

1 hour ago, ambra said:

Was it the evaporated milk? 

My family prefers stovetop, I have never tried it with evap milk. 

As I mentioned, followed the recipe exactly; according to the recipe writer, the evaporated milk helps with the melting of cheese and smoothness.

The second key was using evaporated milk as the base liquid. Evaporated milk is a highly concentrated source of milk protein micelles—bundles of proteins that can act as powerful emulsifying agents—which help to keep the sauce creamy and smooth.

I have no doubt it does, and kinda doubt that was the reason for not enjoying it.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

38 minutes ago, weinoo said:

As I mentioned, followed the recipe exactly; according to the recipe writer, the evaporated milk helps with the melting of cheese and smoothness.

I have no doubt it does, and kinda doubt that was the reason for not enjoying it.

I used mustard and parm and sharp cheddar when I've made this recipe. Mustard helped a lot. So does adding pickled jalapenos.

But in the end its still M&C.

• Like 1

Tuna Salad!

Seared Bluefin Tuna, local cukes, red onion, sweet peppers, radish, heirloom carrot, red-leaf lettuce, Japanese pickles, furikake, togarashi and house-made ponzu

1866889403_IMG_20210907_132803400_HDR2.thumb.jpg.e8d00b81b6518cfdaf2ab326edbe3235.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Mi esposo found a box of imported risotto mix in the back of a cupboard (we bought a lot of packaged foods at the beginning of the pandemic).  Labelled Risotto Milanese with Saffron.  Saturday I had a lunchtime appointment so my DH decided to make it. 

Awful...so salty!  But plentiful...it made 4+ cups.  He barely touched it.  

I told him to save it and I'd figure out a way to resurrect it.  Today I added fresh corn off the cob, sautéed poblanos/onions/red peppers and a few handfuls of grated jack cheese.  Threw in some panko and few eggs to bind it.  Pan fried them on high heat.  

These risotto cakes were tasty and crunchy.  I made a lime and cilantro mayo with a dash of chipotle.  

risottocake.jpg

Edited by gulfporter
Left out the cheese!!! (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 3

@gfweb 

WoW

home made ?

I was in your area a 

some time ago

I concentrated on 

Scrapple 

however 

some time ago there was a 

TV show or so

and took the top two

PSK's  and well

it was interesting 

to me.

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

WoW

home made ?

I was in your area a 

some time ago

I concentrated on 

Scrapple 

however 

some time ago there was a 

TV show or so

and took the top two

PSK's  and well

it was interesting 

to me.

This was just a local place. One of a zillion. Good steak though. 

• Like 2