• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

40 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I agree! I could eat them just plain.  I need to get some more.  That was my last can. 

After trying a variety of brands during lockdown, I've decided my favorite sardines are Matiz. They are relatively mild. And they are not cheap, but sometimes you can get a multi-pack from Amazon at an okay price. They were less expensive at the very beginning of the pandemic, before everyone started stockpiling them!

• Thanks 1

Continued my NJ tomato-fest, lunch was a little ciabatta roll, lightly toasted, little bit of chive cream cheese, lots of sliced tomato. Made it open faced to maximize the amount of tomato. Ate in my office with the door closed, hunched over like a starving raccoon.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Prosciutto bacon 'BLT' avocado toast.  (first posting so my pic is not loading...I'll figure it out🤪...I don't see a preview method)...works on other forum.

Newbie problems. I hit 'choose files', then it said 'fail to upload'. bummer. 

• Like 2

@shain – your fatayer meal was lovely.  Just exactly what I love to eat. 

@Katie Meadow – Matiz is a great brand.  I haven’t had the sardines yet, but they are the cockles that @weinoo recommends for his clam sauce and they were excellent.  I’ve added the sardines to my wishlist!

@Annie_H – You should contact @Chris Hennes or @Smithy and they’ll help you get your picture problem sorted!  Welcome to eG!

Lunch yesterday was a split and toasted cathead biscuit:

IMG_6852.jpg.a821ead7723d943b91f27c441e776652.jpg

With the last of the sausage gravy I made the other night:

IMG_6854.jpg.b694347654a6f64b4c785d3a4352a240.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Squid rings from the market fishmonger.

T6ySqfM.jpg

From another market fishmonger

pZOKBs6.jpg

Other bits

kAqaQUq.jpg

p2rebvl.jpg

On 8/15/2021 at 11:58 PM, heidih said:

@BonVivant People in the U.S. I think tend to associate Oktoberfest heavier Bavarian fare with German cuisine. Your fresh and seasonal food as shown to us here is a revelation perhaps to some. 

In Bavaria. Dinkelsbühl has its very own carp in local streams. The species is called "Dink" (from Dinkelsbühl, the town where they were first bred).

Psq8UCX.jpg

Carp, Franconian style.

CImuKte.jpg

Psst... But don't tell Franconians they are "Bavarians" to their faces. If they could have their way they would want a piece of Franconia to call their own again.

wN2DQzh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Mushroom burger.

mushroom_burger.thumb.jpg.dbe1082614f4cd4edff842ee8ce03c80.jpg

And a pretentious little video putting it together.

But where is the pretentious little video of you taking that first bite?😂 Now that would be something to see. 

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

😅...I was making it so complicated using my desktop files. I dropped straight from photo files....boom. 

I'll try another. We have been having lots of brunch snacks/salads in all the heat we have had. (NY)...light dinners. 

Watermelon Feta Cherry Salad, pickled red onion, ramen egg

IMG_5562.thumb.jpeg.88b6e7a05a766b7d8fd80306f0fef061.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The burger above is killer. Sears-all on the cheese, lol. Love that. I keep meaning to crisp some shallots. I usually have a few pounds but down to one 'softie'. I've read a good method is to start in a bit of cold oil, then bring up to temp keeping an eye on it. (I use avocado oil)...5 pounds in my shopping cart....

Grilled whole fish I've not had since a Mexico trip. Looks like a beet type humus. 

Sausage gravy is a guilty pleasure as is scrapple. I made a batch of homemade scrapple a couple weeks ago. (I grew up EasternShore)

Chopped sausage and RGordo corona beans make a great 'tapenade' over toast.

Our big obsession this time of gardening harvest is stuffed squash blossom fritters. Three batches in the past ten days. Scant tsp of herbed goat cheese. I just flour-egg-flour the bottoms. So crispy. My favorite method when I lived in Rome. 

I consider this a lunch/brunch. We have been making first course appetizers hours before a light dinner meal. A big shared salad waiting in the fridge....or a treat...

Breakfast might be a frittata cleaning out the crisper. But even that is out of the oven noon-ish. 

1441523795_ScreenShot2021-08-23at1_53_22PM.thumb.png.bf331344f4491196de7803fe0cb3d1ac.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

The burger above is killer. Sears-all on the cheese, lol. Love that. I keep meaning to crisp some shallots. I usually have a few pounds but down to one 'softie'. I've read a good method is to start in a bit of cold oil, then bring up to temp keeping an eye on it. (I use avocado oil)...5 pounds in my shopping cart....

Grilled whole fish I've not had since a Mexico trip. Looks like a beet type humus. 

Sausage gravy is a guilty pleasure as is scrapple. I made a batch of homemade scrapple a couple weeks ago. (I grew up EasternShore)

Chopped sausage and RGordo corona beans make a great 'tapenade' over toast.

Our big obsession this time of gardening harvest is stuffed squash blossom fritters. Three batches in the past ten days. Scant tsp of herbed goat cheese. I just flour-egg-flour the bottoms. So crispy. My favorite method when I lived in Rome. 

I consider this a lunch/brunch. We have been making first course appetizers hours before a light dinner meal. A big shared salad waiting in the fridge....or a treat...

Breakfast might be a frittata cleaning out the crisper. But even that is out of the oven noon-ish. 

1441523795_ScreenShot2021-08-23at1_53_22PM.thumb.png.bf331344f4491196de7803fe0cb3d1ac.png

Lovely food - so glad you got your image issue resolved. The zucchini blossoms are a favorite of mine. Have you ever tried it with a lighter starch like rice flour or cornstarch? Not hot here yet but I am also gravitating to made ahead "salads" especially mixing thee great stone fruit now with the savory. 

The other day, I made a recipe from Ottolenghi's Flavour for Corn Ribs with Pumpkin Seed Black Lime Butter. 

IMG_4236.thumb.jpeg.c0324ce2417d75e6b16c34c7f2404cb6.jpeg

The corn cobs get cut up, deep fried, tossed with honey and salt and served with the compound butter.  The butter is delicious.  The rest of it is a terrible thing to do to a lovely fresh ear of corn.  

I ended up cooking another ear and putting the butter on it.  

IMG_4230.thumb.jpeg.151764a78ebcd8649ed6a4683190aa5f.jpeg

This was good, although I think a perfect ear of sweet corn needs no butter, no salt, nothing between those kernels, ready to burst, and my teeth!  

That said, sometimes it's fun to try something different so I riffed off this recent Dinner post from @Kim Shook

On 8/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Kim Shook said:

Last night was @Maggie the Cat’s Shrimp and Corn sauté with caramelized cauliflower:

IMG_6881.jpg.64c5dad9aa9427d6f3697a7f62d00846.jpg

And made this Shrimp & Corn Sauté with Pumpkin Seed Black Lime Butter:

IMG_4247.thumb.jpeg.493b441becd7d68fc42fbd65e6085e88.jpeg

Such a quick, easy recipe!  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

I recently saw the 'corn ribs' on an Eater article. A nice restaurant presentation but not sure on my table. An early corn slightly off season or early season I will 'tart it up' sometimes Mexican style with grilled/roasting and spiced toppings and cheese....our farm stand corn now is straight from the field still cold from overnight temps picked early AM. Burlap bags of corn still on the tractor beds. 

I thought oven roasting or grill/smoker might be nice. I do plan on trying it. No plans to fry since I don't go there. Corn on the cob naked kissed with grill or heat is fine this time of year and preferred. 
(I do roast in the husk a few dozen, then cut off the cob for winter use)IMG_5574.thumb.jpeg.9c5b7ffbe77e93976bf72bdce7591f3f.jpeg

Not the recent RG bean club, but the last one...the big black beans from the oxo project. So good. I plan to use my free shipping code to get a few more pounds with some of the oxo chocolate. 

I've been making a Oxoacan Bean dish and salads. Some cold and some warm/hot. A bean bowl with garden veg and crisper drawer sofrito...

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, heidih said:

Have you ever tried it with a lighter starch like rice flour or cornstarch? 

That is actually seasoned corn flour, not corn starch. 'Floured' corn meal. I have a variety of the flours including rice. At one point I was trying to get a better baked sweet potato fry. Oyster Po' Boy I use corn flour and some panko pulsed in a spice grinder. tBsp AP flour (no egg) 

I got lazy/impatient and just used the Bob'sRedMill corn flour/egg/corn flour. I have so many squash blossoms now I skipped my usual mix and was surprised how well they came out. Butter in the pan helped. 

• Like 1

IMG_4734.thumb.jpeg.88e557cc8bfe7b16c531f3ffa3215373.jpeg

Significant Eater went in to the office yesterday, so I made myself some ramen, with leftover steak, tomatoes, radish, cucumber, carrots and lettuce.  Noodles are from Sun Noodles, now available frozen to me via Fresh Direct.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_4734.thumb.jpeg.88e557cc8bfe7b16c531f3ffa3215373.jpeg

Significant Eater went in to the office yesterday, so I made myself some ramen, with leftover steak, tomatoes, radish, cucumber, carrots and lettuce.  Noodles are from Sun Noodles, now available frozen to me via Fresh Direct.

What did you think of the frozen ramen noodles?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

What did you think of the frozen ramen noodles?

Practically as good as getting them fresh. These were their "plain"noodles (their Kaedama), and I cooked them for maybe a few seconds longer than I would have had they been fresh.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@blue_dolphin – I’ve been wondering about those corn “ribs”.  I’ve seen them all over the place – even the Pioneer Woman made them.  Your experience mirrored my instinct.  Nice riff on the corn and shrimp sauté!  It is great as is, but really lends itself to improvisation, too.  

When I have breakfast I almost never have lunch unless we go out somewhere.  But I got a little rumbly in my tumbly the other day and this fit the bill:

IMG_6890.jpg.ec82731a3a93e60e16798ddd8f3de2e7.jpg

ET bagel and cream cheese with extra ET seasoning.

And yesterday, I went without breakfast because I knew there was some of Mr. Kim’s leftover smoked tri tip in the fridge:

IMG_6915.jpg.95b791c9d67f97096861d8981ba6dee1.jpg

I steamed it in the CSO and put it on an onion roll with melty Muenster cheese (horseradish sauce and BBQ sauce under the cheese).

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1