• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

While I agree and typically German dinner consists exclusively of similar  open faced sandwiches (that we call “Abendbrot”), others feel very strongly about the number of bread slices involved per item as well as the “eatability” of the whole construct without utensils …

Indeed. But of course they are wrong.

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Slow-braised field snails with ducks' feet

An imaginative re-interpretation of Surf n Turf. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby – gorgeous watermelon.  I could sit with a bowl of watermelon chunks on one side and a salt shaker on the other and eat them all day.  We used to eat them outside in our bathing suits on my grandparents’ farm.  When we were done, we’d feed the rinds to the cows and my grandmother would squirt us off with the garden hose.  And @rotuts is right, all fruit eaten with juices running down your arms are the best. 

Today is the last day of Mr. Kim’s “vacation” (not much of a vacation for him, poor thing – couldn’t go anywhere and got work related calls every day), so he kidnapped me for lunch today.  We went to a new diner called “Shorty’s”.  Mr. Kim had the Open Faced 1/2 lb. Burger plate:

IMG_6759.jpg.d11e62be718dd75d59cd3dbb331f5b7a.jpg 

Texas toast, fries, burger, sauteed onions & mushrooms, and house made gravy.  Really good, though he felt that the burger was over seasoned.  It was cooked perfectly. 

I had the pork tenderloin sandwich:

IMG_6760.jpg.ca8f9d4bd9d096ac51688baf807fd052.jpg

Which was delicious, but slightly too thick.  Fries were excellent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, Anna N said:

My last name is Nielsen. You are damn right it’s still a sandwich! Smørrebrød!

Of course you're right. I had some fun scouring a few books yesterday...

IMG_4693.thumb.jpeg.e559d84e9a4402ffd1926085fa77797c.jpeg

According to the book at lower left, smörgåsbord is composed of two words: smörgås (open sandwich) and bord (table) (this is from the Swedish book). The Danish word (which I was totally confusing with the Swedish word), as Anna mentions, is smørrebrød:

At their simplest, smørrebrød are open-faced sandwiches built on a thin layer of dense sourdough rye bread called rugbrød. The name of the sandwich itself comes from the words for butter (smør) and bread (brød).

It's all meant to confuse we non-Scandanavians. Or at least confuse me, but I'm glad I learned the difference. Just to confuse me further...

If you were in Norway, this would probably never happen: You’d have matpakke. Meaning “packed lunch” in Norwegian, the word refers to a specific, minimalist style of open-faced sandwich that’s easily assembled and eaten every single day by much of the country’s inhabitants.

IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.8170a719e0975466acbf03ad3cef06b8.jpeg

So for lunch yesterday, I guess I made smørrebrød, and served them as part of a small smörgåsbord. And they say English is a hard language!

Open-faced tomato sandwiches (with the best tomatoes I'll probably get this year), bread buttered and Duked. Salted and peppered.

Gazpacho of tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño (mild), red onion, sherry vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Light garnish of avocado and chives.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So for lunch yesterday, I guess I made smørrebrød, and served them as part of a small smörgåsbord. And they say English is a hard language!

Or perhaps it was a tartine?

My 2004 eG Blog

53 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Or perhaps it was a tartine?

Certainly could've been, and if I were making it at an airBnB in Paris (oh, if only), exactly what I would have called it.

Never had a Jersey tomato this good in Paris!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And then we have the world of bruschetta, crostini and crostoni!

Yesterday's lunch was an actual sandwich - a BLT, trying Max Halley's method of using a 1 cm thick slice off a head of iceberg lettuce instead of separate leaves and mixing a bit of bacon dripping, malt vinegar and hot sauce into the mayo.  

IMG_4189.thumb.jpeg.ae288ece8b63855835156b902a5fa5fc.jpeg

He also pours more hot bacon dripping and any juices from the tomatoes over the lettuce.  I skipped that last bit.   

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

44 minutes ago, heidih said:

And the lettuce verdict?

I've made a few BLT's with the iceberg slice and overall, I give it a thumb's up because you get a nice crunch of lettuce in each bite.  Actual success will depend in part on the bread you use.  Max recommends a ciabatta roll for his BLT and goes the next step to brown the cut sides in the pan the bacon was cooked in. I used a sturdy sourdough and toasted it.  His recipe puts the tomato next to the mayo-dressed bread, bacon in the middle and lettuce on top. I wouldn't bother doing the lettuce slice with a squishy white bread where it might be better to use lettuce leaves to protect the bread from the juicy tomato.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Q0WRwye.jpg

Potato salad with cream

p3iVYoo.jpg

Steeped in warm broth, with home-made grainy mustard and some crispy-fried Speck.

6aoDBIm.jpg

Matjes, Rolmops, North Sea shrimp, and salmon roe.

jkBi4cP.jpg

Half a bottle of Riesling went into this mustard

gxPK1ql.jpg

"Greek-style" lunch again.

LzSsMMl.jpg

aRSpDwM.jpg

AKXZYrm.jpg

Spinach parcels, loosely based on Cretan mini spinach pies (Kalitsounia).

P02L62h.jpg

One batch with spinach, one batch with roasted aubergine pulp.

qqEXJuJ.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

@weinoo – gorgeous looking tomatoes on your open-faced sandwiches.  Love that you showed them the proper respect and love with Duke’s 😁😉

@blue_dolphin – love the concept of your BLT and I will try that Iceberg “slab” idea.  I love the crunch of iceberg on a sandwich, but usually have it thinly sliced – almost shaved. 

@BonVivant – German potato salad is pretty much the ONLY potato salad that I care for.  The others are just cold potatoes with a creamy sauce. 

On Saturday we celebrated Mr. Kim’s BD with a day (mostly) driving around in the Northern Neck area of Virginia – around and along the Rappahannock river.  We stopped in Tappahannock at the very cool Acme Ice Cream and Antique store for a treat that substituted for lunch:

IMG_6768.thumb.jpg.de82c886ed7a7b27dc3228b0b2514585.jpg

Some of the ambiance:

IMG_6767.jpg.9f6c85e192a11fe643efccd3412973ab.jpg

IMG_6773.jpg.13bc94da0515cb62fd5c62b66f7a030c.jpg

IMG_6769.thumb.jpg.1b7f66a4aaac6cc76606c79deeb0f483.jpg

Sunday after church we ended up again at our favorite deli, Boychik’s.   I had a sandwich with hard salami, turkey, roast beef, slaw, and 1000 Island dressing on rye:

IMG_6796.jpg.088ab9c6e08fe25e21d029de9627d2b4.jpg

Mr. Kim had the “British Burger” with bacon and Cheddar:

IMG_6797.thumb.jpg.5e910e8a6788989238e7b9c4e4205beb.jpg

They do a great burger – especially considering they are a deli.  The bacon is, of course streaky bacon and not British, but we’re ok with that.  Having had a bacon burger in England, we decided that that was one of the few applications where we preferred American over British bacon. 

Today:

IMG_6813.jpg.d6932232bbe6b347db6623773935a019.jpg

Leftover cheese cathead biscuit.  Split, toasted, and lavishly buttered. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 8/18/2021 at 1:51 AM, Kim Shook said:

The bacon is, of course streaky bacon and not British, but we’re ok with that.  Having had a bacon burger in England, we decided that that was one of the few applications where we preferred American over British bacon. 

Britain has streaky bacon, too. The only difference is that we call it 'streaky bacon'; not 'bacon'.  I often use bacon in my burgers - always streaky. I like to use lean beef and streaky bacon minced together so that the bacon provides the fat content. The beef here is seldom fatty.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Take away fatayer - pita like bread, laminated with olive oil, filled with fresh zaatar, spinach and often other fresh greens, grilled on a saj. It's crisp and chewy and tender, lightly salty and aromatic. Served with labneh cheese and toamtoes.

Rice stuffed vice leaves. Very lightly spiced, nicely lemony. Served warm.

Home made tabbouleh with parsley, scallions, bulgur, cucumbers, some tomatoes, olive oil, lemon, sumac, and a hint of cinnamon.

PXL_20210206_113256889.jpg

PXL_20210206_123603849.jpg

PXL_20210206_123648938.jpg

PXL_20210206_124405042.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thanks. My heart always beats a little faster when I see anything that uses canned sardines. They are cheap, convenient, tasty and nutritious. Doesn’t get much better than that. 

Edited by Anna N
Mis-heard dictation (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. My heart always beats a little faster when I see anything that uses canned sardines. They are cheap, convenient, tasty and nutritious. Doesn’t get much better than that. 

I agree! I could eat them just plain.  I need to get some more.  That was my last can. 

• Like 1