• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2021

liuzhou

I hate trying to eat a sandwich that falls apart leaving you to pickup the pieces to recreate the intended flavour bite.

Nothing worse than taking a bite which causes the contents to spill out the other end.  Wrong bread texture.

Making a good sandwich is not easy.😊

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Nothing worse than taking a bite which causes the contents to spill out the other end.

You just really need a mouth like this.

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I hate trying to eat a sandwich that falls apart leaving you to pickup the pieces to recreate the intended flavour bite.

Nothing worse than taking a bite which causes the contents to spill out the other end.  Wrong bread texture.

Mostly the problem is (in my opinion) trying to put too much stuff inside.  Butter the bread or the baguette, put a piece of salami or jamon and a few slices of cornichon in there, and enjoy.  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Considering sandwiches, I always revisit an important colleague lunch with catered sandwiches.   I looked at the menu and ordered either tuna or egg, while the stud duck ordered roast beef.  I was seated opposite him as he tried to converse while gnawing his recalcitrant beef.   Lesson learned, as I easily consumed, even enjoyed, my down-market squidgy lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

53 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

You hit the nail on the head….too much stuff

It’s quite American. I always enjoy a sandwich or whatever you want to name it in France or Italy, where it’s about the bread as much as it is about the filling

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

that bread that makes the simple FR

ham sandwich so spectacular 

is very hard to find

unless you bake your own.

a sandwich is very much about the bread

get the bread right and you are more

that  1/2 way there .

Dave's bread , toasted or not

makes a better sandwich for me

than other supermarket bread 

w the very same fillings.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

It’s quite American. I always enjoy a sandwich or whatever you want to name it in France or Italy, where it’s about the bread as much as it is about the filling

But when one is not in France or Italy where the bread is worthy or one is not faced with trying to be neat and tidy in company, a sandwich like @blue_dolphinmade is a thing of beauty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But when one is not in France or Italy where the bread is worthy or one is not faced with trying to be neat and tidy in company, a sandwich like @blue_dolphinmade is a thing of beauty. 

When I'm eating alone, there are no rules. 

But the bread here, now, is pretty darn good. So to me, it's all about balance; if I have to use a fork to eat a sandwich, is it really a sandwich any more?  

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

So true. Can't have a big layer of soft stuff that squishes out when you bite. Bread cannot be too hard-crusted.  Wet stuff can't be against the bread. Meat has to be able to be bitten-through with ease (ie, no thick corned beef slices)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

When I'm eating alone, there are no rules. 

But the bread here, now, is pretty darn good. So to me, it's all about balance; if I have to use a fork to eat a sandwich, is it really a sandwich any more?  

My last name is Nielsen. You are damn right it’s still a sandwich! Smørrebrød!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

a trick I learned quite some time ago :

when layering up your sandwich ;

remember you might be planning to cut it

in 1/2 (?) before inhaling it.

even the finest knife , property maintained

can 'squish ' the sandwich while cutting through

the top slice of bread.

solution :

cut the top slice 

before 

you place it on top.

wish I'd thought of this

]but no.

it was in Cook's Illustrated 

a long time ago

in the readers ' tips ' section

try it.   works fine

re : squishing issues.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

late lunch yesterday :

Sand.thumb.jpg.2d3ead302663c86551ae445e4a305d42.jpg

Dave's CSO'd from the refrigerator 

left to cool .  lettuce , tomato ( OK supermarket --after Home Aging )

and TurkeyMeatLoaf    

a specialty of mine.

this version was more of the Pate version

than the AmericanMeatLoaf version

delicious .

more details here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153705-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-3/page/99/?tab=comments#comment-2309462

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@Paul Bacino – I promise I’m not trying to be funny.  What am I seeing when I look at your tomatoes you posted on Monday?  It honest to God looks like the top of your pepper shaker came off. 

@blue_dolphin – that’s one of the sandwiches I want when I come visit you😉. 

@rotuts– I’ve never in my life had a meatloaf sandwich on anything but white.  And never with lettuce and tomato.  I promise to try that when I have my next meatloaf success (about 1 every 4 tries). 

Some of y’all are picky as hell🤣.  You bet I’ll eat a sandwich with a fork and knife and call it a sandwich and a delicious one at that – I did it today.  Clubs may start out as a hand sandwich, but usually end up more like a panzanella.  A big Sloppy Joe and some cheeseburgers are the same.  To me, they taste as good off a fork as out of my fingers. 

Lunch earlier today at SB’s Lakeside Love Shack – a favorite breakfast/lunch place.  We shared a Grandpa Joe’s Cinnamon bun:

IMG_6750.jpg.55c6b0091886ffc1fbdc2ef64156e491.jpg

Topped with salted caramel maple syrup and cream cheese.  The video of this was sexy!

Mr. Kim had the breakfast burrito:

IMG_6752.jpg.be7b2e71274c45270ebdc0752cce95c8.jpg

Scrambled eggs, spicy pimento cheese, jalapenos, tomatoes, black beans and green onion.

And apropos of my above comment, I had the “Club”:

IMG_6753.thumb.jpg.8e67d576c3e2886fb91572cdab63f4d9.jpg

House roasted chicken, VA Ham, bacon, fresh greens, tomato, Swiss, Cheddar, and mayo on a grilled croissant.  I didn’t even try to pick this up.  I ate the whole thing with a knife and fork and enjoyed every single bite!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook on the sandwich & knife/fork. I think the magic of sandwich is getting all the special bits in a mouthful. So there is a burger I like that I eat that way and some of the very stuffed ones I've seen here make sense that way. But Harriet's tomato sandwich must be hand held ;)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

House roasted chicken, VA Ham, bacon, fresh greens, tomato, Swiss, Cheddar, and mayo on a grilled croissant.  I didn’t even try to pick this up.  I ate the whole thing with a knife and fork and enjoyed every single bite!

Well of course. But I'd hardly call that a "sandwich."

Tasty Travails - My Blog

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Club sandwich.  Between two pieces of bread-type things. 😁

I know what they call it.  No croissant deserves to be despoiled by being called a sandwich!

Haven't we (by we I mean eG) had discussions in the past about whether a hamburger is even a sandwich?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 8/11/2021 at 4:13 PM, Anna N said:

My last name is Nielsen. You are damn right it’s still a sandwich! Smørrebrød!

While I agree and typically German dinner consists exclusively of similar  open faced sandwiches (that we call “Abendbrot”), others feel very strongly about the number of bread slices involved per item as well as the “eatability” of the whole construct without utensils …

• Like 1

田螺鸭脚煲 (tián luó yā jiǎo bāo)

Slow-braised field snails with ducks' feet and tofu skin. A very popular local dish.

In a small hole-in-the-wall near home. With rice.

1024.thumb.jpg.3995b97c3346d766f6f1e8ca5955eff3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto